Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    For those who have the annoying squeaking or crackling sound somewhere in their 700p keyboard, I have a solution: WD-40 applied in extremely small amounts. Take the can of WD-40, attach the little red tube, and spray a quick burst into a wastebasket. Then carefully touch the tip of the tube once or twice around the offending keys. This will let a miniscule amount seep into where the sticky gasket material is. Hit the keys a few times and woohoo! To my complete amazement, this has CURED my problem. Would be interested to see if works for others.

PT
    Think it works for stuck keys ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

it's quite harmless since oil doesn't conduct.
    If one accidentally go WD40 on a key and on the number / letter / symbol on that key, would the WD40 smear the paint on the key / number / letter / symbol?
    Putting WD-40 on pieces that are rubber isnt a good idea as it will eat away at it slowly, but I cant decided though if the keyboard is plastic or rubber?
    what about using that organic stuff they put on shreder blades that you can get at office depot?
    This (solution or WD40) is a bit risky i think. I am still trying to find a cure for my P and C (8) keys for my treo650 (GSM, unlocked). If I send it for repair; it will cost me about $169.00 with palm. For me to spend this much for just two keys is out of question and there are not many other choices that i have. Any help?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    From the WD-40 website FAQ: "What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
    WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40."
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Oops, hit the enter key too fast. Right now it looks like the WD-40 fix is only a partial solution. After a day or two, I'm getting about half of the creaking/squeaking back. Still not as bad as it was, but not a perfect fix to be sure. The perfect solution would be effective Palm manufacturing quality control.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    WD-40 is not really a lube it is more of a solvent that works short term as a lube....
    I found most of my squeaks were from pressure i put on the battery cover while typing, i put a small piece of sticky back foam between the batt and the cover and silence
    Sprint 700p