Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for the best way to charge the 700p in an automobile. Let me preface by saying I am not very electrical savvy. I have heard car charging is very hard on a phone battery. That said I am looking at 2 options. 1. Seidio has a USB charger that plugs into a car DC plug. Would this have the same affect on a battery as the normal portable auto charger? 2. DC -> AC inverter. Use the AC charging plug with this. Anyone have any experience with this? Any special requirements?
    This is the first I'm hearing about car charging is hard on the battery. I don't tend to do a whole lot of charging in the car, but I wouldn't expect it to be harder on the battery. Using a USB cable with a USB to car DC plug is more for consolidating the charging accessories I believe. I wouldn't expect there to be a difference in how it charges the Treo.
    the minute i get in the car i plug my treo into a car charger been doing this for years never had any problems with battery

Freed
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    the minute i get in the car i plug my treo into a car charger been doing this for years never had any problems with battery

Freed

same here, and having a ac/dc converter, hmmmm can you say "bulky"
    I remember this topic being discussed in threads here on T/C. My take-away was that the car charger is indeed hard on the battery. Consequently, I avoided buying a car charger for my Treo 700p. (I'm sure the next time I take a long car trip, I'll regret it)
    However, I suggest you do a search and hopefully you can locate the thread and come to your own conclusion.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor
    I have heard car charging is very hard on a phone battery.
    That's the first I've heard of this, too. Maybe I'll do a little research.

I don't do much charging while driving locally during the week but charge during all my long drives on weekends/holidays. I never had a problem with my 650 (same battery) and haven't thus far with my 700.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Quote Originally Posted by todivefor
    I am looking for the best way to charge the 700p in an automobile. Let me preface by saying I am not very electrical savvy. I have heard car charging is very hard on a phone battery.
    I heard a report on this (DL.TV maybe?) and they debunked it as myth. I think the bottom line was that batteries nowadays are smart enough to not over charge themselves. FWIW, I've been using my car charger for a long time and have never had battery problems.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input. Actually, I used a car charger for all my other phones and didn't have any problems. I searched TC for info on this and found nothing. I was following another thread (currently, can't find it) on another subject where someone interjected that DC chargers are bad for batteries and a better solution would be to get a DC -> AC inverter. That tweaked my curiosity and I started looking for other solutions.
    i have used car chargers (dc) for 600, 650 and now 700p without issues. no degradation in battery performance at all. i keep them plugged in 90-95% of the time while travelling. i use bluetooth headset 100%.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Harder on which battery, the Treo's or the car's battery?

The car charger I have for the Treo allegedly has a chip in it that monitors the flow to the Treo's battery and should be fairly safe to use.

I can't imagine that charging a PDA on what used to power a cigarette lighter in the car would be hard on the car's battery.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Below is one of the threads that addresses using car chargers.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...ht=car+charger
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger

Thanks. I never saw that thread. I did see one quote in another thread that said the same thing that car chargers are quick chargers that will damage the battery (PDA battery not car battery).

I am going to look into the DC to AC converter. Any recommendations?

the thread has many errors.. the wall and car charger are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_T
    Harder on which battery, the Treo's or the car's battery?

The car charger I have for the Treo allegedly has a chip in it that monitors the flow to the Treo's battery and should be fairly safe to use.

I can't imagine that charging a PDA on what used to power a cigarette lighter in the car would be hard on the car's battery.
    phone battery...of course.......
    Tks to 2000 Man, the link below will provide you with more info you could possible want on battery life. Go to post #4.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120264
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  16.    #16  
    Tks to 2000 Man, the link below will provide you with more info you could possible want on battery life. Go to post #4.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=120264
    Interesting article. Thanks.
    That thread on car charges is ridiculous. It's nothing but people making unfounded assertions that rely on guesswork.

The output of a decent car charger is the same voltage and current as an AC charger. It's not passing 12 volts directly to your Treo. Like anything else, if you buy the cheapest one you can fine you're more likely to have problems with it.

I found the Palm car charge on sale pretty cheap a while ago, and have been using it with my 650 with no problems at all. And the plug stays in the Treo over the roughest roads, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    First, I completely agree with the comments about car charging being "hard" on the battery is a load of bunk.

Second, here is the best car (and home/travel) charging solution.
    It works great and is very compact and versatile.

Get an iGo Autopower car charger.
    Use the iGo tip (Sprint universal, plus Treo dongle).

Then get the DC to AC conveter wall plug (Radio Shack). It's very small and light, and you can plug the car charger into it and use it like a regular AC adapter.

Get tips for all you other devices.

This setup is not only the lightest, most compact, and versatile, it's the cheapest as well.

Perfect for road warriors or just simply for those that don't want to carry a lot of chargers but want to charge different devices.
    A bunch of wild speculation without any hard proof.

I used a car charger on my 600 everyday for 3 years. My son has it now and the battery will still hold a charge all day and works as good as when it was new.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    i live by forums...they are the best source of information available from actual users. unfortunately there are those that screw up a good thing by posting bs. i could write an article that "favors" the use of charging in and automobile due to the fact that the battery system includes voltage regulation....something that home ac does not. if you want to look at sloppy voltage, transients etc. try monitoring your house ac supply. the article could be proven innaccurate by the next guy spouting about failed 12 Volt regulation; inductive load switching; alternator field decay (each engine cycle); ignition pulse with the battery disconnected; etc.....

i need my phone to work and provide convenience w/ 100% uptime, or as close to it as possible. again, i have seen NO ill effects (600, 650 and 700p) to batteries using 12vdc chargers and i spend alot of time on the road. my daughter now has my "old" 600......i could really write an article about phone abuse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast