Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not all car chargers are bad....cheap ones can be bad. If you buy a car charger from Palm or a well known vendor, you shouldn't have problems.....if you buy the $7.99 job or the one the guy in the stoire threw ya as a freebie when ya bought ya phone, yes....expect damage....been there done that on business phones.

Had 4 Nokia phones on business account. When Suffolk County and then NY were the 1st in the nation to pass hands free laws, my wife bought a cheap hands free car kit at Walmart with ciggie lighter plug.....her battery was dead as a doornail shortly therafter....we purchased the additional extended life batteries with our two phones so she went back to the original battery and killed that as well as my original battery....keep in mind she used her phone at about 1/8th the rate I use mine minutes wise. I had two other employees using the same phone at jobsites and they were fine....then that job ended (where we had a trailer and 120V supply) and one of them bought a car charger....his battery died shortly thereafter. My phones using wall charging is still running after 6 years of usage....tho I switched to the Treo....other employees use the phone and it's still going strong.

I never buy car chargers for the simple reason of why run the risk on a cheap aftermarket job and why pay the expense of the phone vendor supplied ones. The car charger for my Canon camera was well over $100 ! A simple AC/DC converter is a hell of a lot cheaper and I can use it on Ipods, Playstations, passengers phones, laptops, cameras, and even a blender on occassion

But for thew Treo, before I'd spend $50 - $60 on cradle / charger, I'd spend and extra $35-40 and get one witha GPS in the cradle killing the proverbial two birds with one check.
    I use the Monster Cable 15W charger that takes iTips. So far it works great. I've never had issues using a car charger with cell phone batteries.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    A simple AC/DC converter is a hell of a lot cheaper and I can use it on Ipods, Playstations, passengers phones, laptops, cameras, and even a blender on occassion
    Which one do you use? I'd get it just for the blender
    I have a Belkin that I bought in 1996 for $32. Previously IU had these joibs w/ big cooling fins and a fan and they didn't last long. The Belkin must eb a different design....3.5" x 3.5" x 1", no fans, no fins, solid as a rock.
    Here's a quote from batteryuniversity regarding fast chargers:

"High charge voltages, excessive charge rate and extreme load conditions will have a negative effect and shorten the battery life. This also applies to high current rate lithium-ion batteries. "
    FOr the sake of argument let's assume it is a little harder on the battery. How hard could it really be. They're not dying like flies because of it so a $25-$40 battery dies a little sooner for the convenience of using the easy solution of a regular battery.

It probably varies how long you charge it for etc. I never put my battery in any charger for a short amount of time if it's unavoidable. My friend pulls his in and out as he uses it, his battery (even his extended battery) never lasts as long as mine (an I stick with the standard size if an option is available). This is a valid comparison because he often adopts the same phone as me after I get one (and his battery still acts up first).

I charge it for a short time if I have, to but I try not to and it's worked well for me. I know others who pop it in the car every time they go for a 5 minute ride.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I just got the Palm car charger from Seidio. There's a label on the charger that says not to leave it connected when turning on the car. Has anyone else heard of this as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJ
    I just got the Palm car charger from Seidio. There's a label on the charger that says not to leave it connected when turning on the car. Has anyone else heard of this as well?
    Doing so is just a precaution to ward against a surge of power coming through the charger when the electrical system is started.
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe
    FOr the sake of argument let's assume it is a little harder on the battery. How hard could it really be. They're not dying like flies because of it so a $25-$40 battery dies a little sooner for the convenience of using the easy solution of a regular battery.
    Time's starting to cause memory fade but IIRC my wife went thru 3 batteries in about 120 days. This time she bought a charger from the vendor that makes her phone and she having no problems.
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?code=127473

you can get that and the new Globalsat 359 GPS receiver for 160 total
    Quote Originally Posted by aero
    the thread has many errors.. the wall and car charger are the same.
    And this is based on... ?

I was told by a Sprint rep not to use the car charger unless absolutely necessary. However, considering how spotty Sprint reps' information seems to be, I discount that source...

I too have been using my car charger on my Treo, and it doesn't seem to have affected anything.

I'd love to get the true story on this from an electronics type who knows about these things.

I also use a charger in the car all the time for my iPod, and it works fine... that is, until the day before yesterday when my car's interior got up to about 120 degrees while sitting in a studio parking lot all day, and the charger plug literally exploded.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    And this is based on... ?

I was told by a Sprint rep not to use the car charger unless absolutely necessary. However, considering how spotty Sprint reps' information seems to be, I discount that source...
    It is based on having a strong background in electronics and knowing exactly what is in the charges.

Here's a quote from batteryuniversity regarding fast chargers:
    but you are contributing to the misinformation. eg, I am curious are you saying the automotive chargers are fast chargers and the wall chargers are not?
    I am saying there are chargers that recognize smart batteries / smart chargers and ones that do not. Check the Ipod page here for a good graphic on how to properly charge a Li-Ion battery.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Most Lithium-ion batteries use a fast charge to charge your device to 80% battery capacity, then switch to trickle charging. Thatís about two hours charge time to power iPod to 80% capacity, then another two hours to fully charge iPod, if you are not using iPod while charging.
    Cheapo car chargers apply the "fast charge" to 80% capacity and then continue at the same charge without dropping to the trickle charge generating excess heat and reducing battery life. When I called Palm TS regarding their scanty information on battery care, they recommended 1) using only OEM or well known (read "not cheapo") aftermarket devices and 2) do a quarterly full discharge.

After my experience with my wife frying 3 batteries in a matter of weeks using a car charger while my wall charged unit ran for fine for 4 years after she killed 3 batteries, I have seen what cheapo chargers can do. Nokia confirmed that they had had hundreds of calls on this very topic from people who bought cheap Korean or Taiwanese "hands free car kits" where the charger never switches to trickle charge mode.

I tend to look at it more simply tho.....buy car chargers for every device I own a or put 120V converter in my car for $35.

Car charger costs:

Canon Camera 1 - $165
    Canon Camera 2 - $90
    Laptop 1 - $90
    Laptop 2 - $80
    Laptop 3 - $75
    Gameboy - $45
    Treo - $25
    Wife's phone $29
    Kid's phones - 3 @ $25 = $75
    PlayStation 2 - Who knows
    iPod - $20
    Son's Logitech Camera - $25
    Rechargeable battery charger - $40 (for car audio / video system's headset batteries)
    Son's Electric Remote Control Car Charger - $45

I know I am missing a bunch of the kids stuff but ya get mny drift
    How low do you guys run down the battery to do a discharge?
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I use this:

Car Lighter Adapter

and this:

Retractable Hotsync/Charge Cable

Takes up very little space.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    How low do you guys run down the battery to do a discharge?
    TIA
    For routine charging, I try and not let it get past 60%.....the real wear and tear isn't supposed to start till 20% and the recommended "storage" level is 40%...so I figure 60% is a good target.

4 charges from 90%
    2 charges form 80%
    1 charge from 60%

all have same impact.

About once every 90 days I just let it completely discharge....It still takes about 8-10 days or normal usage to accomplish this so sometimes I just put the game EDGE on and let it run till battery dies.
    For routine charging, I try and not let it get past 60%.....the real wear and tear isn't supposed to start till 20% and the recommended "storage" level is 40%...so I figure 60% is a good target.

4 charges from 90%
    2 charges form 80%
    1 charge from 60%

all have same impact.

About once every 90 days I just let it completely discharge....It still takes about 8-10 days or normal usage to accomplish this so sometimes I just put the game EDGE on and let it run till battery dies.
    Tks for the info Jack
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12