1.    #1  
    I saw this on MacNN this morning...

.PCS Intel today released an updated EV-DO Modem Script for Mac, which improves support for people who chose to use their regular phone as a modem by providing up to five times faster connection rates than the current Mac OS X built-in support....

Went to the site....

http://www.pcsintel.com/content/view/1429/35/

Downloaded the script.

Wow! I got 900+kbs on the Internet Connect control panel. With the Sprint PCS Script I get 320kbs.

But it seemed slow to me, so I tested my bandwidth at the CNET bandwidth test and got 180kbs

Could someone else test this thing and see what they get.

John
  2.    #2  
    Forgot to mention that I am using a bluetooth connection on a Aluminum 17" Powerbook which has bluetooth 2.0 and OS 10.4.7.

John
    The PCS Intel discussion forum at PCSIntel.com seems to show preference for using this script under USB more than Bluetooth, and the S/W author seemd to suggest the 700p internals may be weak, compared to some other phones.

I'd be interested in seeing how people find this to work comparing both BT and USB connectivity.

Also, does this eliminate the need for USB Modem to achieve USB connectivity between a MacBook and 700p? Don't yet have a MacBook to test out for myself, so appreciate your insight and experience.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by TreoMountain; 08/05/2006 at 12:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    Forgot to mention that I am using a bluetooth connection on a Aluminum 17" Powerbook which has bluetooth 2.0 and OS 10.4.7.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoMountain
    ...USB connectivity between a MacBook and 700p? Don't yet have a MacBook to test out for myself, so appreciate your insight and experience.
    Has anyone found a way to connect the 700p via USB to an OSX machine? I have a rather large amount of difficultly connecting the 700p via Bluetooth (often need to reset phone and try to connect a good doxen times before a successful connection is established).
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    "USB Modem" works fine for USB. The instructions included are clear cut.
    John: The control panel only shows the maximum possible "serial port" BW, not actual connection BW. For that you have to go to a site like dslreports/stest.com in order to gain an actual measurment of connection speed.
    worked for me as well.... I'm getting 1000/kbs download after the script change when using usb modem...... this doesn't do anything for bluetooth connections, since the treo is not bluetooth 2.0....
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camhabib
    Has anyone found a way to connect the 700p via USB to an OSX machine? I have a rather large amount of difficultly connecting the 700p via Bluetooth (often need to reset phone and try to connect a good doxen times before a successful connection is established).
    Definitely USBModem! I've been using it for months now with my 700P via USB. Its a breeze to use and includes scripts for both MacOSX and XP. I purchased their bundled solution with CardReader.
    I'm not sure if it's any better for me when using USBmodem. Maybe a fraction, but...

I just started using USBmodem today, it's significantly faster than using BT. Plus a lot more reliable in getting a connect with my PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz 10.4.7 system and my Sprint 700p.

Although I'm amazed at how much speed difference I can get by just moving the phone around. Sitting on my desk and I average 250-400. Hang it from the hutch (upside down since that's the way the cable hangs best) and I'm getting 650-880 (880 was not using the new driver). It's pretty fussy in terms of that.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme