Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. kaoswlf's Avatar
    Posts
    349 Posts
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
       #1  
    Gang,

    Love my 700p, but I'm curious are we never going to be able to have wifi on it? I know Evdo Rocks, but wifi would be a nice little perk... Anyone working on a hack or something or is it a dead issue?

    KAOS
  2. #2  
    if you search the threads there is alot of useful info on this topic. but in short.... no, it will "never" happen.
    Last edited by BabelFish; 07/17/2006 at 12:14 PM.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
  3. #3  
    One thing I've never been able to find is why it'll never happen--only that the wifi hack from the 650 hasn't worked since the latest firmware.

    KAOS, check out the Endora (I think) wifi sled for the Treo. It's made for the 600 and 650, but I'm sure a 700 version is coming up ... if it's not already compatible. I know a lot of cases work with both, so it might be only a software issue, not a fit issue.
  4. #4  
    It's Enfora. They made the wifi sled for the Treo 650. Not sure if it's compatible with the 700P yet.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by supersocialist
    One thing I've never been able to find is why it'll never happen--only that the wifi hack from the 650 hasn't worked since the latest firmware.
    I'm sure it's been discussed, but the "why" is that Verizon/Sprint/etc. would rather a phone NOT come with the capability (WiFi) to undercut their data plan sales.
  6. #6  
    not sure that's teh case because sprint and verizon haev tons of phones that do work with wifi
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007
    I'm sure it's been discussed, but the "why" is that Verizon/Sprint/etc. would rather a phone NOT come with the capability (WiFi) to undercut their data plan sales.
    So why do both Verizon and Sprint carry a models that have wifi? Sprint has the PPC6700 and Verizon a similar model.
  8. #8  
    it has some to do with the carrier.. the real problem is the palm OS. It can't handle being a phone AND a WIFI device. That is why there are some Palm devices that have WiFi (they are not a phone). That is also why the Treo can't do WiFi (it is a phone). The 700w can do Wifi. I am sure the carriers wanted that turned off but WM5 is a package deal. You can't really turn that off.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
  9. kaoswlf's Avatar
    Posts
    349 Posts
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
       #9  
    Thanks for the responses... just frustrating to know that the 6700 and the 700w have wifi... but not the 700p. Seems silly that sprint/palm don't think about adding this. Would be a nice little perk... if evdo sucks in a certain area, maybe wifi could do better...

    Thanks,
    KAOS
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    it has some to do with the carrier.. the real problem is the palm OS. It can't handle being a phone AND a WIFI device. That is why there are some Palm devices that have WiFi (they are not a phone). That is also why the Treo can't do WiFi (it is a phone). The 700w can do Wifi. I am sure the carriers wanted that turned off but WM5 is a package deal. You can't really turn that off.

    The 650 can do wifi. With the Enfora sled...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    The 650 can do wifi. With the Enfora sled...
    Yeah but I think the wifi needs a seperate radio..the sled provides that.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOSWLF
    Would be a nice little perk... if evdo sucks in a certain area, maybe wifi could do better...

    Thanks,
    KAOS
    It's enough of a perk to consider going from a 320 screen to a 240 screen.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Yeah but I think the wifi needs a seperate radio..the sled provides that.
    That is true. Wifi would need its own radio. The point I was trying to make to BabelFish is that the 650 (a Palm OS smartphone) can have wifi capabilities added to it.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    That is true. Wifi would need its own radio. The point I was trying to make to BabelFish is that the 650 (a Palm OS smartphone) can have wifi capabilities added to it.
    I think (Im no expert) that the drivers are the issue. With the wifi sd card, no stable drivers are available for the 650/600. If you use the sled, I think it takes care of the problem.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  15. #15  
    Yeah that was it I think. Using the Wifi SD card on the 650 still required warm or hard resetting the 650 to get the CDMA radio working again. I think this was with Shadowmite's wifi "hack".
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    So why do both Verizon and Sprint carry a models that have wifi? Sprint has the PPC6700 and Verizon a similar model.
    I was not aware they had WiFi enabled phones available. It seems very "out of character," particularly for Verizon and their bluetooth-crippling, GetItNow way of doing business. Unless, of course, they found a way to charge extra for it.
  17. #17  
    I think its just easier to implement on a non POS phone...carriers have less and less to say about it....especially when more and more phones on gsm networks have it.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by supersocialist
    One thing I've never been able to find is why it'll never happen--only that the wifi hack from the 650 hasn't worked since the latest firmware.

    KAOS, check out the Endora (I think) wifi sled for the Treo. It's made for the 600 and 650, but I'm sure a 700 version is coming up ... if it's not already compatible. I know a lot of cases work with both, so it might be only a software issue, not a fit issue.
    I contacted Enfora about it and they said they have no plans to support the 700P. A guy on MyTreo.net said he had the sled for the 650 working on his 700, but it didn't fit correctly. He did some work with a Dremel tool with it but still had to hold in in place to work. If that is all that is required, I'm not sure why I Enfora would'nt simply redesign the back piece and market it for the 700P. But, there again, the bad news came from the horse's mouth.

Posting Permissions