Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Garmin has posted a new beta version of Mobile XT here. Unfortunately, it's only for Windows Mobile. I hope they release this for Palm OS as well. Some screen shots are here.
    I've read through this great discussion string, but I'm still not sure what GPS system to get. I like the hardware idea of Seidio G4500M & GlobalSat BT-359, but it seems that a lot of prefer the Garmin SW vs. TomTom 5. Question, is there any other software worth looking at that will work with the above hardware? Thanks.
    Got my volume issue for guidance resolved - installed Voice Care.

fatcat220

Don't know enough about other software except my short trial with tom tom and I didn't like it. Once you see a garmin map you may fall in love with it as I did.

The one thing I don't like about the Garmin software, and I don't know if this applies to other brands of mapping software, is that you can't use it without a garmin gps receiver. It also seems to have taken over whatever gps conduit exists. Once I installed the garmin que software, I can see my globalstat bt 338 via bluetooth, but I can not get a connection to it via any non-garmin software (used for geocaching). I can get a connection to the bt garmin gps though. The problem is that bt 338 is sirf III and the garmin is not. Much more sensitive receiver.

And now that I have used up my two device unlock code, I will need to buy another unlock code if I want to upgrade to a garmin sirf III receiver.

Just my .02.

remltr
    i've been using navigator 5 on my 650 for a while now with a holux gpx slim and i love it. Had a globalsat gps receiver before and this holux blows it out of the water. I use it while flying too with flightmaster and copilot and i love it. It is just as accurate as my friends garmin 296
    If nothing else, it seems like I've got some choices. A friend of mine has a TomTom unit and loves it. Looking at this site, others swear by Garmin. I don't see a clear winner yet. Also, it looks like Garmin might be coming out with their Mobile 20 soon, so that might be worth the wait. This will be my first GPS system and I've only had my Treo 700P for a couple of weeks now, so I'm new to this site, hardware and plethora of choices. I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose. I will keep reading, try out my buddies TomTom and see if I can find a Garmin GPS system among my friends. Love this thread.
    Is there any difference between the way that TomTom and Garmin handle incoming or making phone calls?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat220
    Is there any difference between the way that TomTom and Garmin handle incoming or making phone calls?
    I think it is pretty much the same. Although the Garmin software will flash turn directions on the screen while you are on a call (no sound).
    Garmin just released City Navigator v8 updated maps for their units last week. I got it. $75 or free if you purchased after 4/5/06.
    Anybody used Emtac software before? The interface looks similar to TomTom but uses Navteq database.

http://www.transplantgps.com/EMTAC_nav.html

http://www.transplantgps.com/images/Treo650Highres.jpg
    Mogulman

Garmin just released City Navigator v8 updated maps for their units last week. I got it. $75 or free if you purchased after 4/5/06.
    I signed up for the dvd update. Don't know if I will have to pay yet, as I can't remember if I purchased after 4/5/06. Either way I'll upgrade.

Do you know if the update will allow unlock for two devices as the original version did? Did not see anything specific about that on the garmin site.

Have the iQue 3600 and gps 10 receiver.

remltr
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Mogulman

I signed up for the dvd update. Don't know if I will have to pay yet, as I can't remember if I purchased after 4/5/06. Either way I'll upgrade.

Do you know if the update will allow unlock for two devices as the original version did? Did not see anything specific about that on the garmin site.

Have the iQue 3600 and gps 10 receiver.

remltr
    Yes.. It allows unlocking for 2 devices. I actually have 2 sets of version 7. One for my Streetpilot 2610 and one for my GPS 10.

On this upgrade, it was cheaper for me to upgrade the map set for my 2610 and then add my GPS 10 device to it. For a total of $75. If I upgraded both sets of maps individually it would have cost me $75 x 2=$150.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    2. With the Que application there is [almost] no way to create routes except those starting from your current location! The Que documentation talks endlessly about "destination" and "route to" but NEVER mentions "starting point" or "route from." This means (a) you must have your GPS with you and acquiring a signal to create a route, meaning that if you're inside your office or hotel you can't create a route and (b) you can't plan a trip in advance (for example if you're going to fly first from home to city xxx then drive to city yyy.) BUT - I did figure out a Byzantine work-around assuming you know your desired starting location exactly and can identify it on the map:

a. Go to the QueGPS application. If your GPS is on, then from the drop-down menu select "Disconnect from GPS."
    b. Also from this menu, select "New Location", then select "Use Map".
    c. With the stylus you can now drag your "current" location to wherever you want and this becomes the starting point for any routes you create.

I had the same problem, and I like your solution. There is another way to route from a point when not connected to a GPS.
    1. Route to your destination regardless of where the last GPS point was logged.
    2. Use the "edit vias" in the que routes screen. Use the find feature to select your "via". This can serve as your starting point.
    3. The garmin will recalculate the route with the via
    4. ignore the directions before the via point

I also have an ipaq, and setting your starting point is much easier. You can use the map or the find. Maybe the palm is easier to install on multiple devices and they are protecting their intellectual property.
    Quote Originally Posted by mn23
    I had the same problem, and I like your solution. There is another way to route from a point when not connected to a GPS.
    1. Route to your destination regardless of where the last GPS point was logged.
    2. Use the "edit vias" in the que routes screen. Use the find feature to select your "via". This can serve as your starting point.
    3. The garmin will recalculate the route with the via
    4. ignore the directions before the via point
    Actually, I like your work-around better, it allows you to search for a starting point even if you don't know where it is on the map. Thanks for the tip.

I've been working with the GPS 10 + Que software for a week now. Overall it's an excellent package considering the display, input and processing power limitations of a small device like the Treo. The Map, Routes, GPS, and Find applications are very well integrated. I was really amazed at how quickly the GPS 10 and Treo pair up - just a few seconds, even the first time! Also, it seems to be very compatible with the phone application as well as PocketTunes.

The one most irritating feature is that as far as I can tell, you can't create routes or waypoints in MapSource and transfer them to the Treo. If you know a work-around for that, I'd sure like to know it. Other minor issues I've found:

1. As previously discussed, you can't create a waypoint from a contact.

2. Voice directions volume is too low (can be fixed with a 3rd party volume booster)

3. On the status bar at the top of the map page, I would like to have user-specified data fields rather than the 4 unchangable ones Que provides. Particularly I'd like to have "distance to destination" as an option.

4. Transferring maps to the unit is not as straightforward as it should be, but it's not a big deal since you don't have to do it often.

5. Have an easier way to stop all Que actions and free up all system resources. It would be nice to have one command to clear everything. As far as I can tell you have to
    a. Select "Disconnect from GPS" from the QueGPS page
    b. Select "Stop navigation" from the QueRoutes page
    c. Reset the Treo

6. Que doesn't seem to be compatible with VoiceDial. VoiceDial will start but pretends to be deaf if Que is running in the background.

7. The applications are a real battery hog! (Though mostly you use it in your car, so you can keep the Treo plugged in.)

8. Oh yeah, and that !@#$%^&* tiny rubber plug for the GPS 10 power connector. I lost it already (forgot it in a rental car...)
    Last edited by bobodobo; 08/15/2006 at 12:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    Actually, I like your work-around better, it allows you to search for a starting point even if you don't know where it is on the map. Thanks for the tip.

I've been working with the GPS 10 + Que software for a week now. Overall it's an excellent package considering the display, input and processing power limitations of a small device like the Treo. The Map, Routes, GPS, and Find applications are very well integrated. I was really amazed at how quickly the GPS 10 and Treo pair up - just a few seconds, even the first time! Also, it seems to be very compatible with the phone application as well as PocketTunes.

The one most irritating feature is that as far as I can tell, you can't create routes or waypoints in MapSource and transfer them to the Treo. If you know a work-around for that, I'd sure like to know it. Other minor issues I've found:

1. As previously discussed, you can't create a waypoint from a contact.

2. Voice directions volume is too low (can be fixed with a 3rd party volume booster)

3. On the status bar at the top of the map page, I would like to have user-specified data fields rather than the 4 unchangable ones Que provides. Particularly I'd like to have "distance to destination" as an option.

4. Transferring maps to the unit is not as straightforward as it should be, but it's not a big deal since you don't have to do it often.

5. Have an easier way to stop all Que actions and free up all system resources. It would be nice to have one command to clear everything. As far as I can tell you have to
    a. Select "Disconnect from GPS" from the QueGPS page
    b. Select "Stop navigation" from the QueRoutes page
    c. Reset the Treo

6. Que doesn't seem to be compatible with VoiceDial. VoiceDial will start but pretends to be deaf if Que is running in the background.

7. The applications are a real battery hog! (Though mostly you use it in your car, so you can keep the Treo plugged in.)

8. Oh yeah, and that !@#$%^&* tiny rubber plug for the GPS 10 power connector. I lost it already (forgot it in a rental car...)
    I have noticed many of the same problems you have and some I have not thought of yet. I don't have any solutions for the issues you raise. However, there is one really cool feature that I have not seen mentioned on this thread. When you are driving along, and you want to search for something like a gas station, when you do so, the list of destinations shows direction arrows as well as distance. This is useful if you want to know if you have passed something, or it is coming up, without looking at the map for each one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mn23
    I have noticed many of the same problems you have and some I have not thought of yet. I don't have any solutions for the issues you raise. However, there is one really cool feature that I have not seen mentioned on this thread. When you are driving along, and you want to search for something like a gas station, when you do so, the list of destinations shows direction arrows as well as distance. This is useful if you want to know if you have passed something, or it is coming up, without looking at the map for each one.
    Yes, that is cool. Also I just noticed today that when you're driving, if you're on the map page and have the top data bar display enabled, on the right side it will report not only the street you're on, but also the address, i.e. 123 Main Street. Overall the solidness and integration of the apps and their core functions plus the cool features greatly outweigh the irritants listed above and the fact that the GPS itself is by far not the most sensitive on the market.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234