Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Actually.. the GPS 10 Que software doesn't do Text to Speech. So it won't read individual street names. TomTom 5 won't either though. It does announce a turn.. Left right.. etc...

But not actual street names.
    Mogulman,

OK I have downloaded and installed the software and basemap. The basemap does not show on the screen. I just see a black background with some faint grid lines with some faint text. Will need a magnifying glass to actually read it. I did install the basemap on the 2 gig card and maybe I need to install on the internal card. Hopefully that is all that it is.

Anyway I walked through the screens side by side with my iQue 3600 and they appear the same. Until I actually get a gps 10 receiver I won't be able to troubleshoot the find/route by address thing for you, if I even can. And you may be right, that the function doesn't tie into the address book for some reason that only Garmin knows.

Once I get the gps I'll be ready to go only with a slightly smaller screen than the ique.

Below is a post I entered from the topic on what software works and what software doesn't. If you will read through that you may find it interesting and when I get a chance I will go through all my fastfinger macros that I transferred from the iQue and reset the coordinates for the screen taps. I will need to figure out what the coordinates are first for the taps. Different screen size. This will allow you to automate alot of the functions in the que mapping software. Anyway when I get it finished I will send you all that you need. Essentially it presents you with a screen with 12 screen buttons. Each button represents a function that you want to perform, such as route to home, route to work, screen brigthness, etc. Press the button and in most cases there is nothing left for you to do. You can have as many screens as you want.

Hopefully this is not off topic. I have not seen "fastfinger" mentioned here. I am new to the treo having just come from the ique 3600. Fastfinger is used alot by the garmin ique 3600 crowd.

It is a palm os based, free program that allows you to finger touch your screen and have a set routine of commands completed for you. You just need to figure out the position of the pen taps on the screen. You call the palm application enter the coordinates in a macro and the macro performs the tap for you.

For example if you wanted to find your buddy Gary's house via navigation, you would enter the fastfinger program and select the screen button that says find gary's house and the macro would open the contacts list select gary's name, enter the coordinates in the mapping program and start routing you to gary's house. One button instead of 5 or six pen taps.

I brought the program over from my ique and it works, although very limited in this environment due to the macros being based on garmin mapping software. But it would be very useful to alot of you I am sure.

Here is the link to the forum topic that contains alot of info on this program. From there you can get to the authors site for the dowload and instructions on how to write your own macros. http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54358

Hopefully I have contributed something here that we can all share. And hopefully I am not to off topic.
    Thanks for your help today.

I am going to order the gps 10 for car navigation and keep the globalsat bt 338 for geocaching.

remltr
    Remltr, you and I are on the same path. (Great minds think alike?) I downloaded the Que application and the basemap. At first I synced the basemap to the SD card, but Que wouldn't recognize it. Then I deleted it and synced to the 650, and voila, I have a basemap. But now I have 2 serious problems:

1. The basemap is over 5 MB. I have a 650, not a 700p, so this is a MAJOR strain on my memory! From the QueMap application, there is an "Erase" menu, with one option being "Basemap on Card." Also, in the QueFind application, under "Cities" option, there is a menu item called "Select Map." So apparently it is possble to put the basemap on the SD card, but it is not getting synced to the proper SD folder. QUESTION FOR MOGULMAN: what is the name of the folder where Que stores maps on the SD card? (I am hoping that if I create such a folder, I can drop the basemap in it and Que will recognize it.)

2. With the Que application there is [almost] no way to create routes except those starting from your current location! The Que documentation talks endlessly about "destination" and "route to" but NEVER mentions "starting point" or "route from." This means (a) you must have your GPS with you and acquiring a signal to create a route, meaning that if you're inside your office or hotel you can't create a route and (b) you can't plan a trip in advance (for example if you're going to fly first from home to city xxx then drive to city yyy.) BUT - I did figure out a Byzantine work-around assuming you know your desired starting location exactly and can identify it on the map:

a. Go to the QueGPS application. If your GPS is on, then from the drop-down menu select "Disconnect from GPS."
    b. Also from this menu, select "New Location", then select "Use Map".
    c. With the stylus you can now drag your "current" location to wherever you want and this becomes the starting point for any routes you create.

An interesting and completely undocumented feature of Que: when you create a route, you are asked "Do you want to simulate driving this route?" If you select yes, then Que will actually do just that, simulate driving the route in real time, with the map moving accordingly! You can even change the map scale while this is happening. In fact, you can even use other applications while you're "driving" in the background, and the Garmin Gal will still give you verbal instructions! A cool feature though I don't know what real value it has...
    Last edited by bobodobo; 07/28/2006 at 03:10 AM.
    1. The basemap is over 5 MB. I have a 650, not a 700p, so this is a MAJOR strain on my memory! From the QueMap application, there is an "Erase" menu, with one option being "Basemap on Card." Also, in the QueFind application, under "Cities" option, there is a menu item called "Select Map." So apparently it is possble to put the basemap on the SD card, but it is not getting synced to the proper SD folder. QUESTION FOR MOGULMAN: what is the name of the folder where Que stores maps on the SD card? (I am hoping that if I create such a folder, I can drop the basemap in it and Que will recognize it.)
    bobo

using FileZ and looking at my 1 gig external card on my iQue 3600 there are 3 folders

Palm
    Audio
    Garmin

Palm
    Launcher
    iQue3600_Operatingins~1_pdf.pdb

Audio is empty

Garmin
    GMAPSUPP.IMG (this is the detailed City Navitgator North America left half of the US - right half is on other card)
    GRMN_LOG.TXT

The base map is on the internal card on my 3600.

Found this on Garmins website.

Q. Can I download more than one basemap at a time onto the iQue 3200/3600 from the setup disk?
    A. The iQue 3200/3600 can only use one basemap at a time. You can download one of the Lite basemaps from the setup CD to the internal memory or a SD/MMC external data card. Or you can load one of the standard basemaps or the Worldwide basemap to a SD/MMC card. You can load different basemaps on different cards and swap cards as needed.
    remltr
    Last edited by remltr; 07/28/2006 at 10:13 AM.
    Thanks remltr. I tried creating the "Garmin" folder and moving the basemap to that folder using FileZ, but as you predicted QueMap won't recognize it. If I move it back to main memory, QueMap no longer recognizes as a map it BUT you can select "Erase / Basemap in Memory" and QueMap will in fact erase it (confirmed by FileZ), so QueMap knows it's there but won't use it!

The basemap in the Garmin directory on the SD card is not found or erased in any case.

HotSyncing the basemap to the SD card puts it in the PALM / Launcher folder, which doesn't work either.

So the question remains - how the !@#$%^& do you get the basemap onto the SD card in a way that QueMap will recognize???

EDIT: according to this site, on the SD card the file name has to be different, namely GMAPBMAP.IMG. So I dutifully renamed the file on the SD card, and now QueMap can recognize it enough to erase it, but not enough to use it! (That site also mentioned the trick for creating a route starting from an arbitrary location, i.e. by tricking QueRoute into thinking you're at a different location.)
    Last edited by bobodobo; 07/28/2006 at 11:53 AM.
    For those of us who want the newer chipset but don't like the "all-in-one" configuration of the Garmin Mobile 20, this may be a nice updated alternative. And this may also allow one to use a PC for navigation (like the current GPS 10).
    Can I, while I am waiting for the Garmin gps 10 to arrive, install the City Navigator North America maps to the 2 gig card via my ique 3600 which is already unlocked and then insert the 2 gig in my treo and have the que software read the maps on the 2 gig? Or will I have to wait? Does it need the gps 10?

The unlocking procedure that Garmin employs is so confusing, I am surprised that I got it to work on the 3600 in the first place.

Attached are a few screen shots of the fastfinger menus that I will be using with the Garmin Que software on the treo and that I now use on the iQue.

They are not as bright and colorful on the treo as they may appear here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mogulman

Actually, this the one place that I can see where the Que GPS 10 software is different from the Que software that is in the iQue. The Que software for the GPS 10 does NOT integrate with the Treo Contact list. So you must enter waypoints in the Que software separately from your Treo contact list. Bummer..but the way it is.
    Having spent a little more time with the two devices side by side, I now see what you mean. Treo has contacts and the garmin has address book. If we could somehow get Garmin to update the palm que software to link to the contact app in the treo that would solve it. I am going to make a request, but I doubt it will get me anywhere. The may be doing that with the gps 20 car kit though that is soon to be released.

Address book when you click on the title pulls up a que function that allows you to route to your choice or show on map.

The items in the address book that have a waypoint flag associated with them are thereby linked to the quefind waypoint list. For now the only option is duplicate information in two apps.
    I had the Basemap Lite installed on my SD Card and it worked fine on my Treo 650. In fact, the installer for the GPS 10 CD has an option to install it to SD card or RAM.

On my Treo 700p I put the basemap lite in RAM, but I noticed the installer put it in my SD card as well. I deleted it from SD card. I figured it would be faster if the SD card was in ram.

It puts things in a Garmin folder. I had GMAPBMAP.IMG and the detailed map file in this same folder.

Actually.. if you really want to reduce some more ram. You can actually delete some of the additional language files from Ram, too. Some of the _IT,_FR, etc...

I did this and the software worked fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Mogulman

Having spent a little more time with the two devices side by side, I now see what you mean. Treo has contacts and the garmin has address book. If we could somehow get Garmin to update the palm que software to link to the contact app in the treo that would solve it. I am going to make a request, but I doubt it will get me anywhere. The may be doing that with the gps 20 car kit though that is soon to be released.

Address book when you click on the title pulls up a que function that allows you to route to your choice or show on map.

The items in the address book that have a waypoint flag associated with them are thereby linked to the quefind waypoint list. For now the only option is duplicate information in two apps.
    I actually called Garmin about this. They said it isn't available on the GPS 10 Que software.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanuy
    For those of us who want the newer chipset but don't like the "all-in-one" configuration of the Garmin Mobile 20, this may be a nice updated alternative. And this may also allow one to use a PC for navigation (like the current GPS 10).
    Nice... I'm guessing this will have the Sirfstar III chipset. Wonder if they will sell it separately from the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo

2. With the Que application there is [almost] no way to create routes except those starting from your current location! The Que documentation talks endlessly about "destination" and "route to" but NEVER mentions "starting point" or "route from." This means (a) you must have your GPS with you and acquiring a signal to create a route, meaning that if you're inside your office or hotel you can't create a route and (b) you can't plan a trip in advance (for example if you're going to fly first from home to city xxx then drive to city yyy.) BUT - I did figure out a Byzantine work-around assuming you know your desired starting location exactly and can identify it on the map:

a. Go to the QueGPS application. If your GPS is on, then from the drop-down menu select "Disconnect from GPS."
    b. Also from this menu, select "New Location", then select "Use Map".
    c. With the stylus you can now drag your "current" location to wherever you want and this becomes the starting point for any routes you create.

An interesting and completely undocumented feature of Que: when you create a route, you are asked "Do you want to simulate driving this route?" If you select yes, then Que will actually do just that, simulate driving the route in real time, with the map moving accordingly! You can even change the map scale while this is happening. In fact, you can even use other applications while you're "driving" in the background, and the Garmin Gal will still give you verbal instructions! A cool feature though I don't know what real value it has...
    This is what I do if I want to see a route ahead of time. I change my current location and then route from there. Most of the time I don't do this. Usually, I just set up Waypoints ahead of time for my trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    I had the Basemap Lite installed on my SD Card and it worked fine on my Treo 650. In fact, the installer for the GPS 10 CD has an option to install it to SD card or RAM.
    Well, I never couldn't get the basemap to work from the SD card using the basemap and Que software downloaded from Garmin's website, but of course the download has no installer. Hopefully when I get the whole GPS 10 enchilada (I just ordered it) all will be fine. The 650 just doesn't have 5 MB to spare for that file!
    Doesn't look like I will be able to get the fastfinger stuff working. Doesn't seem compatible with the 700p processor.

Also after having loaded the garmin gps 10 software with basemap, it seems to have taken over all gps settings even though I don't have the garmin gps 10 receiver yet. The cachenav program I use for geocaching would not recognize the bt 338 until I unistalled the q software and reinstalled the cachenav program.

Why can't they all just get along?

remltr
    Speaking of getting along, I have found that if I run the Garmin Que software, VoiceDial won't work (it just waits for my voice command, it acts like it doesn't hear me at all), even if I stop Que and disconnect from the GPS. I have to do a soft reset before VoiceDial works again. Perhaps some conflict between the two programs about who "owns" some audio resource?
    Voicedial works on my Treo 700p with Que software. It worked on my 650, also. Are you using the newest version 2.x?
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Voicedial works on my Treo 700p with Que software. It worked on my 650, also. Are you using the newest version 2.x?
    Yes, I'm using 2.0.02. BUT - I'm just testing the downloaded Que software from Garmin's site. Perhaps the problem will go away when I install the whole enchilada from the CDs (on order...)
    Finally got the gps 10 unit.
    Installed the que for palm from the website
    Unlocked my Garmin city select North America and installed on the 2 gig sd card.

So I am up and running with the Treo 700p for car navigation.

The only problem I seem to have is making the initial gps connection to the software on a regular basis.

Bluetooth is running and receiving.
    I turn on the receiver.
    I turn on the gps app on the treo.
    Get the message "connecting to gps", but it doesn't seem to want to connect.
    I sometimes have to hit disconnect and the reconnect. Other times I have to do a battery unplugged reset.

Am I being to impatient maybe and that the gps 10 has to get a lock before the gps app realizes that it is available?
    There are other times where there is no issue and will get the message that it acquiring satelies and then it in fact does that.

Doesn't seem to be a pattern that I can put my finger on to go through the proper motions of connecting each time.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Bluetooth is running and receiving.
    I turn on the receiver.
    I turn on the gps app on the treo.
    Get the message "connecting to gps", but it doesn't seem to want to connect.
    I sometimes have to hit disconnect and the reconnect. Other times I have to do a battery unplugged reset.
    I have seen this happen too. Things I have found that help:

1. Launch the GPS app and set it to searching for the GPS before you turn the GPS receiver on.
    2. Stay on the Satellite status screen until the connect occurs. Make sure it shows 'Connecting to GPS' at the top.

I note that on Garmin's page for the GPS10, they have a new release called Garmin Mobile XT for PocketPC users that includes 2D and 3D mapping. I'm hoping they'll have a Palm version of that soon!
    1. Launch the GPS app and set it to searching for the GPS before you turn the GPS receiver on.
    2. Stay on the Satellite status screen until the connect occurs. Make sure it shows 'Connecting to GPS' at the top.
    bitmage

worked like a charm.

had a lock in about 15 seconds.

takes care of 99% of the connection problem i had.

if i step out of the vehicle for a moment and hit the power switch, sometimes when i return i then need to go through the process again, but that may be a bluetooth issue.

one other issue is the volume that doesn't seem to want to get any louder, more like someone talking in the background.

thanks for the steps.

greatly appreciated.

now all i need is a magnifying glass positioned right over the screen.

remltr
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast