Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75
  1. jamsys's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #21  
    Just used a OLD Pharos Sirf BT GPS from a freind... It aquired in under 30sec and I have it in the glovebox and it rocks..... I am bidding on a AllInOn on ebay now, but if I dont get it, the Pharos will stay!
  2. #22  
    I've got an old Garmin eTrex that my brother gave me awhile ago. It takes awhile to lock on, and if I'm in dense woods it can't keep a signal. Kinda worthless in that I need it most in the woods! (Well, or in the desert.)

    I've run out of time for this AT, guess I'll have to look into it again when I get back next month.
  3. #23  
    I had TomTom on my 650 for over a year. Then bought the Garmin. I used it on my 650 for 6 months. Then got a 700p and have been using it. The main difference for me. Interface and maps. Garmin was much much much better at finding places.

    I agree the TomTom hardware is slightly better then the Garmin. The Garmin unit is pretty good, though.

    I disagree about the software. I think the Garmin software is easier to use. Especially when finding POIs. Finding a restaurant on the Garmin shows you the name. Then you can drill down and see the location and address/phone number (and even dial it). Then you can decide to add it as a Waypoint or route to it. On the TomTom this is almost impossible. You have to blindly pick POIs and then figure out if it is the one you want. This was ridiculous. The TomTom does have the fancy 3d image, but 2D is fine if the software works better.

    The Garmin software does take up more space on a device. I think it take 5MB. Which was still ok (not great on a 650). The reason is that it runs in the background. If you change to a different app and a turn comes up, the the Garmin software actually changes back and notifies you of the turn. This was pretty cool.

    I agree if you leave the software running in the background, that it does slow down the Treo. When I'm not using the Garmin device. I make sure to turn off the GPS unit and do <Menu>-G in the Garmin Que software to disconnect the Que software from the GPS. This seems to have cured the slowdown for me.

    A couple of other advantages on the Garmin. Picking maps to load is much easier on the garmin. The whole setup gets loaded on your PC, then you can pick maps. You don't have to keep messing with CDs like the TomTom. In fact you can load the entire north america set for the Garmin and route across the entire US. This isn't even possible with TomTom. TomTom breaks up their maps and you can't route between map groups.

    Also, the garmin GPS and software lets you use it on multiple devices. As long as you have the GPS unit itself. The maps are locked to the GPS device. So you can use it on multiple Treos, PocketPCs and Laptops. It comes with software for all three types of devices.

    I doubt the playing field will be level when TomTom gets new maps. I had Navigator 4 and then 5. They came out with new maps, but they were still using Teleatlas which was inferior to Navteq.

    I have a few issues with the Garmin GPS 10 and Que software but it is by far, much better then the TomTom software.
  4. #24  
    Since the Garmin software runs in the background, one should be able to perform other tasks while navigating. Have any of you experienced problems talking on the phone or listening to music while using the GPS 10 and its software? Can you use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the GPS 10?
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    Since the Garmin software runs in the background, one should be able to perform other tasks while navigating. Have any of you experienced problems talking on the phone or listening to music while using the GPS 10 and its software? Can you use a bluetooth headset at the same time as the GPS 10?

    Talking on the phone is possible and using other software. I haven't tried music.

    Bluetooth definitely doesn't work. I think Palm OS only allows one bluetooth device connected to the Treo at a time. I have to disconnect the Garmin GPS before I can use any bluetooth headset.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage
    The Garmin maps have to be used with Garmin software (they are locked). Their mapping application for the Treo currently only supports talking to the GPS 10.
    Related question: according to this FAQ on Garmin's site, the City Select DVD (and other DVDs requiring unlocking) can be unlocked for use with ONE other Garmin GPS unit (i.e., a total of 2 units, one of them being the GPS 10 in this case) at no charge. Can anyone confirm that the City Select DVD that comes with the GPS 10 can in fact be unlocked for one additional Garmin GPS unit?
    Last edited by bobodobo; 07/27/2006 at 12:21 PM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo
    Related question: according to this FAQ on Garmin's site, the City Select DVD (and other DVDs requiring unlocking) can be unlocked for use with ONE other Garmin GPS unit (i.e., a total of 2 units, one of them being the GPS 10 in this case) at no charge. Can anyone confirm that the City Select DVD that comes with the GPS 10 can in fact be unlocked for one additional Garmin GPS unit?

    Yes.. it works.. Someone actually stole my first GPS 10 hardware unit. I bought another one and activated it online with my current maps.

    Actually newer versions of GPS 10 come with Garmin City Navigator and not City select. Same maps. With City Select you can just select smaller regions to load. City Navigator is more of a State by State load.
  8. #28  
    Thanks a bunch for the help. Bitmage's review and mogulman's comments have convinced me that the GPS 10 is the way to go (I have a Treo 650 and an eTrex Vista C). Garmin's map product line is very confusing to me ... City Navigator vs. City Select vs. Metroguide, similar products with slightly different capabilities, it seems that one has to be careful to pick the right one or else <<GOTCHA>>, but Garmin's site is opaque on these differences.

    PS. Sorry to hear your GPS 10 was stolen.
  9. #29  
    [HTML]I think the Garmin software is easier to use. Especially when finding POIs. Finding a restaurant on the Garmin shows you the name. Then you can drill down and see the location and address/phone number (and even dial it). Then you can decide to add it as a Waypoint or route to it.[/HTML]

    I agree.

    I have come from the Garmin ique 3600 and have had a little experience with a Mapopolis trial map on a treo 700p. Garmin on the treo I have no experience with, but assuming it is in anyway similar to the iQue is by far more practical given that it runs in the background and you can route to a waypoint by selecting a contact in your contact/address book. Mapopolis requires you to quit to make an outgoing call, check your battery or whatever. Garmin isn't perfect, but has a much easier map interface, although maps can have their quirks, like not using some streets on routes that you know is the shorter/faster way to go. Some intersections although drawn properly aren't actually connected due to data input errors. But I imagine that is common amongst all software.

    I am quite comfortable with Garmin.

    Just my .02

    That being said I wish I had bought the gps 10 from garmin instead of the bt 338 although nice, is not compatible with the garmin software.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr

    Garmin on the treo I have no experience with, but assuming it is in anyway similar to the iQue is by far more practical given that it runs in the background and you can route to a waypoint by selecting a contact in your contact/address book.
    Actually, this the one place that I can see where the Que GPS 10 software is different from the Que software that is in the iQue. The Que software for the GPS 10 does NOT integrate with the Treo Contact list. So you must enter waypoints in the Que software separately from your Treo contact list. Bummer..but the way it is.

    Yeah.. another disadvantage on the Garmin software is that you must buy the Hardware (GPS 10 device) from Garmin.
  11. #31  
    Mogulman,

    Obviously you are using a garmin gps 10, but what software are you running for navigation? You know which specific Garmin product? I have City Select North America 7.0 that came with my iQue 3600 and I don't know if I can install that to my 700p and get it to work if I also purchased the gps 10.

    i have an inquiry into garmin about a more specific release date than 3rd quarter 2006 for garmin 20 and if you will be able to separate the receiver from the car kit so you can stick the receiver in your pocket if you so choose.
    Also what the cost would be for someone like you who already has a receiver. Discounted from the expected $300.00.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Actually, this the one place that I can see where the Que GPS 10 software is different from the Que software that is in the iQue. The Que software for the GPS 10 does NOT integrate with the Treo Contact list. So you must enter waypoints in the Que software separately from your Treo contact list.
    Really? According to the downloadable version of the manual (page 8, top left):

    "Use the QueFind application to achieve one of the tasks listed below:
    * Blah, blah
    * Find items contained in the map data and in the Address Book"

    The right-hand column of this page (item 5) suggests that Address Book entries found using QueFind are treated the same as Points Of Interest, Cities, etc. within the map data and can be used as waypoints, etc.

    So I guess the manual is misleading on this point?
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Mogulman,

    Obviously you are using a garmin gps 10, but what software are you running for navigation? You know which specific Garmin product? I have City Select North America 7.0 that came with my iQue 3600 and I don't know if I can install that to my 700p and get it to work if I also purchased the gps 10.

    i have an inquiry into garmin about a more specific release date than 3rd quarter 2006 for garmin 20 and if you will be able to separate the receiver from the car kit so you can stick the receiver in your pocket if you so choose.
    Also what the cost would be for someone like you who already has a receiver. Discounted from the expected $300.00.
    I was able to get the GPS 10 unit by itself for around $120-130. This was just the GPS with a Cigarette adapter. I think with Que software/Pocket PC software and Laptop software, it was around $220. If you needed an AC adapter for recharging, you would have to buy that separately.

    Theoretically, you could use City Select 7.0 now that Garmin has posted the Palm, Laptop and Pocket PC software on the internet. At the time, I couldn't because the Palm software was only available on CD. I actually used City Select with my unit for a little while.

    So..if I had City Select 7 NA.. You should be able to:
    Buy a GPS 10
    Use Mapsource to Unlock it and load it to an SD card (I'd use a card reader).
    Install the Palm software, voices from the Garmin web-site..

    You should be ready to go... No guarantees.
  14. #34  
    I can speak to how this functions on the ique.

    Once you enter an address in the contact list, it needs the gps coordinates to actually be used as a waypoint. A little flag symbol will appear to right of the contact in the contact list. If that is not present then it won't be able to be used as a waypoint.

    There is a quirky way of editing the contact info in order to set the coordinates, or if I remember correctly you can also click on show on map and click route to.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    Mogulman,
    I have City Select North America 7.0 that came with my iQue 3600 and I don't know if I can install that to my 700p and get it to work if I also purchased the gps 10.
    As per my discussion with mogulman above, it seems that you can unlock your City Select CDs with one other GPS unit besides the unit that the CDs are already associated with (the iQue 3600 in your case). Thus you should be able to buy just the GPS 10 hardware if you're satisfied with the City Select maps you have. Or maybe the Que software that's compatible with Treos only comes on the CD/DVD packaged with the GPS 10?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    .... Garmin has posted the Palm, Laptop and Pocket PC software on the internet.
    Where? I couldn't find it on their site. Or is it the same as the software posted for Garmin's iQue units? I wanted to test the Que software with the Garmin maps I already own, even if I can't use a GPS with them, before buying the whole new enchilada.

    EDIT: never mind. I found it here.
  17. #37  
    mogulman

    Theoretically, you could use City Select 7.0 now that Garmin has posted the Palm, Laptop and Pocket PC software on the internet. At the time, I couldn't because the Palm software was only available on CD. I actually used City Select with my unit for a little while.
    if you have it, could you post the link on the garmin site for the above.

    I already have the all the maps installed on two - 1gig sd cards for use with the ique 3600. I could easily put those on one 2 gig sd, although I would probably want to install the program to the treo. I have over 2/3 space available there.

    Am I correct in thinking that the software that came with the ique would be usable on the treo? Is this too good to be true? And am able to use the same unlock code one more time if I have a gps 10?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    I can speak to how this functions on the ique.

    Once you enter an address in the contact list, it needs the gps coordinates to actually be used as a waypoint. A little flag symbol will appear to right of the contact in the contact list. If that is not present then it won't be able to be used as a waypoint.

    There is a quirky way of editing the contact info in order to set the coordinates, or if I remember correctly you can also click on show on map and click route to.
    Yeah.. unforunately, the Address application on the Treo doesn't have this capability.

    Also.. if you do the Que Fine..and search under Palm OS apps... all it does it list the contacts. When you select them..it takes you to the address app with no way to route to it or add as a waypoint. Lame.

    Oh well..
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by remltr
    mogulman



    if you have it, could you post the link on the garmin site for the above.

    I already have the all the maps installed on two - 1gig sd cards for use with the ique 3600. I could easily put those on one 2 gig sd, although I would probably want to install the program to the treo. I have over 2/3 space available there.

    Am I correct in thinking that the software that came with the ique would be usable on the treo? Is this too good to be true? And am able to use the same unlock code one more time if I have a gps 10?
    You need to download the Palm software for the GPS 10 from the Garmin web-site.

    You also need to have only unlocked your maps with 1 device. Since Garmin allows you to unlock them with 2 total.

    Once you unlock a map set for a device..(GPS 10).. then you can actually use it on all three types of software for the GPS 10.. Laptop, Palm, PocketPC.
  20. #40  
    OK thanks for the links. I kind of looked at the gps 10 before, but not seeing sirf III as an atribute I kind of dismissed it. But the software and comfort level with the software is more important, so I am really going to reconsider it.

    Other question - does the que software give you turn by turn voice directions in a smooth voice? The 3600 does. And I forgot to mention the male digitized voice in Mapopolis is horrid. For example "64th ave" sounds like "sixteen 4 ab".

    Thanks

    remltr
    Last edited by remltr; 07/27/2006 at 06:00 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions