1.    #1  
    I just picked up the 700p, having been a happy 600 user since Dec. 2003. Can anyone point to a FAQ or any other support docs on how to migrate the info on my current 600 to my new 700 (SMS messages, apps w/ data, call history, etc.)

Thanx.
    Although some have reported success by doing a HotSync directly into the 700, I would strongly argue against it. The best way is to take your current PC backup folder (Program Files\Palm\YourName\Backup) and change the folder name to "backup.old"). Once you've done that, do a HotSync, which will bring over your PIM data and will create a new Backup folder. Lastly, one by one, re-install all the third party apps you are sure will work with the 700. It's a slower process, but a lot lower pucker factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarlin
    Although some have reported success by doing a HotSync directly into the 700, I would strongly argue against it. The best way is to take your current PC backup folder (Program Files\Palm\YourName\Backup) and change the folder name to "backup.old"). Once you've done that, do a HotSync, which will bring over your PIM data and will create a new Backup folder. Lastly, one by one, re-install all the third party apps you are sure will work with the 700. It's a slower process, but a lot lower pucker factor.
    I agree. I'd also suggest checking with the developers of your current apps to see if they've been updated for the 700p. If so, you'll obviously want to put the new, stable versions on your Treo.

Quote Originally Posted by clydeb
    I just picked up the 700p, having been a happy 600 user since Dec. 2003. Can anyone point to a FAQ or any other support docs on how to migrate the info on my current 600 to my new 700 (SMS messages, apps w/ data, call history, etc.)

Thanx.
    If you check out the stickies at the top of the 700p page, a member named poopsie compiled a great FAQ.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Man, I just did what you're asking. I migrated from a 600 to a 700p and the process was... let's just say I could have saved a minor headache.

I basically let the installation CD figure everything out, and it did. It detected my existing account and prepared everything for the 700p. When you hotsync for the first time, it asks you if you want a full migration of data and programs or just PIM data (Calendar, contacts, etc.). Oh how naive I was! I decided to sync everything at once.

So the 700p syncs, everything goes smooth and then, after hotsync is done, I try to test my brand new 700p. All the categories and programs I had in my 600 were migrated except for two games. This is what I had installed in my 600:

Phone Technician (for MP3 ringtones and screen shut off control)
    Butler (alarms and reminders)
    Pocket tunes (deluxe version)
    Avant Go (7 channels for offline reading)
    Artillery (old game) * DID NOT SYNC *
    Puzzle (sliding puzzle, nothing extraordinaire) *DID NOT SYNC*

My calendar events, contacts, and everything else was there. So far so good...

Unfortunately problems arose when I tried to see Avantgo. Every time I selected that app, the phone would reset itself. After 3 tries, I decided to uninstall it and reinstall it following Avatgo's website steps. Just after doing this is when it worked.

Butler had some minor issues and I decided to remove it. Technician had skipping MP3 ringtones problems and I decided to unistall it. I ended up removing all the apps manually!

Bottom line, when doing the first sync, just select to sync PIM data and install programs one by one. I know it can be a pain in the a** if you have many programs installed, but believe me you'll save some agony.

waldo15 out