Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Seems as though Palm is now focusing on Windows Mobile development... As the new European Devices are also Windows Mobile... Opinions?
    No worries, there is still one Palm Treo device to be relased this year after the vodaphone GSM treo comes out, and it has already has been confirmed to be Palm. I belive in my opinion, that this will be handled the same way the 700W was. Vodaphone will release it and have some exclusivity to sell it, then I suspect the usual players will get it and of course it will be available subsidy free from Palm. In the fall I believe Palm will release the Palm version of the GSM phone to be released. We know from pictures that these will not have eexternal antenna, which makes sense. Expect the Palm flavored one to trickle to the US markets before year end. If palm is anything, they are predictable. Now after this point we may see the Treo's with the Access Linux platform (hopefully). As much as everyone likes to complain, I still love the ease of use of the Palm platform. I truly love my 700P and will NOT trade it in for the 700W when it comes out on Sprint.
    bit_bucket
    Windows Mobil is far more popular in Europe than the PoS. PoS never really got a foothold in Europe, for whatever reasons. But it looks like the forthcoming U.S. GSM
    Treo will be available in both WM5 and PoS versions.

Beyond that, who knows. As long as Palm can make good money on a PoS version, they'll continue to sell it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    will it be the same pos that is on the 700p? is the 650 on the gsm the same as the 650 on the cdma?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    This 700p is going into the trash when the 700w comes to sprint!
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    yes yes cccablecompany... we all know how you feel you have made that very clear but thanks for sharing your thoughts again
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Beyond that, who knows. As long as Palm can make good money on a PoS version, they'll continue to sell it.
    I agree...they have a good thing going and a large following.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I think it is important to have an easy to use OS on a phone. WindowsXP is a wonderful OS but that does not mean it translates well to the mobile phone environment. Every Windows phone I have played with was not easy to use, and in many ways seems slow and clumsy compared to Palm.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    No
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    What does "Palm Powered" mean in this conext ?

1. Garnet ?
    2. Cobalt ?
    3. ANything Ownerd by PalmSource / Palm Access?
    4. ALP (Access Linux Platform)
    5. Palm Inc's own Linux
    6. Anything else that is nor WM ?
    7. All of the above ?
    can you send your to me instead of trashing it?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Dont give it to the garbage man send it to me instead
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Jack, yes I was speaking about #7... all of the above... Non MS Operating Systems...
    Why should I care? Substandard hardware, inadequate features, shrinking base, etc....
    They already stopped supporting Palm OS. Incase you didnt notice when you reboot your phone it says ACCESS POWERED. So really it all depends on if Access will continue to update the Palm OS.

But it think its been said numerous times that they are working on a linux version that will emulate for older palm os apps.
    Well the 3rd quarter will see the release of Lowrider / nitro / whatever new name it gets this week.

WIth the WM versions holding at < 20% of Treo sales, I'm betting Hollwood / Lennon will see a POS version in 1st quarter 2007.

We know that PalmSource has ALP suppossedly reday by year's end with devices shipping in 2007

PalmInc OTOH has been hiring Linux engineers like crazy (see TC thread on topic)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02...rce_linux_alp/
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    Why should I care? Substandard hardware, inadequate features, shrinking base, etc....
    How does double digit growth for 12 straight quarters and exceeding 1 billion in Treo sales for the first time equate to a "shrinking base" ?
    Quote Originally Posted by cruelpupet
    They already stopped supporting Palm OS. Incase you didnt notice when you reboot your phone it says ACCESS POWERED. So really it all depends on if Access will continue to update the Palm OS.

But it think its been said numerous times that they are working on a linux version that will emulate for older palm os apps.
    Palm was a hardware / software company. It sold the software to PalmSource (Garnet 5.x / Cobalt 6.x) which it shares cross licensing agreements for several years to come.

With current products, Palm, Inc now officially "supports":

Palm OS (Garnet - 5.x)
    Windows Mobile 5

It may no longer be the lincensor but Palm certainly "supports" the Palm OS.

PalmSource is working on ALP (Access Linux Platform) and expects to release same by year's end. Palm Inc has made no announcement as to whether it will license ALP. LG has also licensed the Palm Cobalt OS (6.1).
    You guys should be happy microsoft is taking over the palm os. I know I am. Palm os is not even a business os. Well at least now you guys are forced to change to WM5. Trust me the world wil be better off without palm os. Way to go palm and microsoft!!
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I wish I had a dollar for every negative comment about Palm OS from CCC..... We know already!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast