1.    #1  
    I garner that most of the programs that are mentioned in backup threads backup the RAM to the SD card, but if I happen to need to hard reset my treo, will the backups on my desktop from the Hotsyncs restore my treo to the point it was at before the hard reset? Thanks!
    If you restore the backup from SD card and then Hot Sync - it should
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    I garner that most of the programs that are mentioned in backup threads backup the RAM to the SD card, but if I happen to need to hard reset my treo, will the backups on my desktop from the Hotsyncs restore my treo to the point it was at before the hard reset? Thanks!
    I can't speak for the apps that backup to your PC, but right after a reset, BackupMan will detect it and ask if you want to do a restore from a backup set on the card.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  4.    #4  
    I currently do not have any backup software installed. In my palmOne/profile/backup folder I have all these prc and pdb files of programs I currently have on my phone. Are these files not enough to do a full restore??
    Oh, I think I understand what you're asking now. I'm just winging this because I've been using a backup app since the day I got my Treo but I believe the items in your backup folder should be able to get your Treo back to pre-reset state, provided you've sync'ed fairly recently.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  6.    #6  
    thanks! much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo

Yes, the backups from the hotsync will restore it back, I just had this happen to me today. I had to do a hard reset and I have not installed a back up program as I was trying to see which one was better. After the hard reset, I hotsynced and everything went back to normal.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
  8.    #8  
    it's a nifty built-in feature that doesn't get enough credit around here =P
    so, I'm confused....why does everyone say it's essential to have backup software....is that only for those who don't hotsync to a PC every day (as I do)?
    One of the main advantages of having a backup app like BackupMan, etc. is that if you're ever away from you laptop/desktop and you have to or a hard reset happened, you would be back in business in no time flat.

Or how about this- you walk into a Sprint store to return your Treo. They hand you a new one and all you have to do is stick you SD card in the new Treo and your entire device is restored. You walk out with all apps/dbs, etc. that you walked in with. This happened to me with my Treo 600.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I did exactly what TurboTiger stated, when I went from one 600 to another, I backed up and restored to the new Treo. Ben