1.    #1  
    We have about 50 Treo 650's from Sprint running their latest ROM, and loaded with GoodLink 4.8. Recently, the entire GoodLink application has "suddenly" disappeared on about 3 of them over the course of the past three weeks. Almost like the user did a hard reset and wiped the device. Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks..
    I had a 600 brought in this morning with the same problem and have had a handful of calls that might have been related. I had assumed the user let the battery die on the 600. I'll be looking more closely now.
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk
    We have about 50 Treo 650's from Sprint running their latest ROM, and loaded with GoodLink 4.8. Recently, the entire GoodLink application has "suddenly" disappeared on about 3 of them over the course of the past three weeks. Almost like the user did a hard reset and wiped the device. Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks..
    Are you by any chance running Good Mobile Defense?
  4.    #4  
    No we are not....
    Do you have a password policy enabled? It could be the people trying their password X number of times and it is killing GL.
    I actually work with Cmajewsk. Yes, we do have a password policy but the user is extremely savvy and that wasn't the issue at all. He was entering his password in correctly. It's a very strange occurance and we're not sure what is gong on.
  7.    #7  
    Believe me, we have tried to ascertain to see if this is a user-caused issue, and thus far it is not. Now, mind you, I would not bet my life that these people are telling the truth, but I know them real well, and they have a very close relationship with IT - so I truly believe them.

We do have a password policy. Can I check via the GoodLink server to see if someone violated the 10 input password threshold?
    Not using the password policy, yet
    Treo 700P (& GoodLink Administrator)
    Simpsonized
  9.    #9  
    Found out that I cannot view a log to see if someone violated the password threshold via the server....any other suggestions?
    Same thing happened to me on my MS Smartphone GoodLink. Never had a password policy violation, never anything else. Just disappeared - shortcuts were there, but program files were gone.
  11.    #11  
    Good gave us this info to try. Mind you, it will have to happen on the phone again for it to "catch" anything, but it's probably worth doing on a few of your Treos. We'll do it on a few of our users and let you know what we come up with...of couse we'll have to wait until it happens again.

a. From the GoodLink home screen, key in "debug" (without quotes).

b. At the command prompt, type in the following command. ‘logflash’ then enter

c. Type exit, then enter to leave the debug screen

d. Inform the users that they need to wait until the issue is replicated

e. Once the issue is replicated, hotsync the device and check whether you can get GLlogDB.pdb onto the machine.

f. Send the file to [our support tech].

Good Technical Support

support@good.com | 408-352-7100 | www.good.com/support
    i am having the same issue. I manage 661 devices currently and we do not require a password for a group policy. It appears that the few users that are having this "hard erase" issue are enabling the local security password on the device. now that i know that this maybe password related i will question there settings and perform some testing.
    Enable the keyguard feature and you will see these go away. While these devices are carried (in a briefcase, pocketbook, jacket) they probably cause the password to be entered more than Ten times which wipes the device. That's why it looks facory reset or why Goodlink is not there anymore.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scifibri View Post
    Enable the keyguard feature and you will see these go away. While these devices are carried (in a briefcase, pocketbook, jacket) they probably cause the password to be entered more than Ten times which wipes the device. That's why it looks facory reset or why Goodlink is not there anymore.

Highly unlikely scifibri...
    Not to sure about GoodLink, but both Blackberry and ActiveSynch have a safety net so to speak that makes it very hard to do this. These password policies will make you type in a word like "blackberry", or "1234abcd" in if you hit a certain threshold (say 7 bad password attempts) to continue. So it will disregard any other key strokes from that point on until you put in the said word...I highly doubt Good doesn't have such a feature. But to be honest it wouldn't shock me if it didn't seeing what GL is lacking...hence my company's entire to move to ActiveSync, from GL.
    The Treo 650's aren't supported by ActiveSync
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    The Treo 650's aren't supported by ActiveSync
    Never said they were...

I was just pointing out the fact that GL (like ActiveSync and BB) probably has a safety net so that this doesn't happen - even with keyguard disabled.

And yes we replaced all 650's with Windows Mobile devices...even the migration to the WM platform, while a minor pain for everyone, turned out to be a long term gain...
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk View Post
    Highly unlikely scifibri...
    Not to sure about GoodLink, but both Blackberry and ActiveSynch have a safety net so to speak that makes it very hard to do this. These password policies will make you type in a word like "blackberry", or "1234abcd" in if you hit a certain threshold (say 7 bad password attempts) to continue. So it will disregard any other key strokes from that point on until you put in the said word...I highly doubt Good doesn't have such a feature. But to be honest it wouldn't shock me if it didn't seeing what GL is lacking...hence my company's entire to move to ActiveSync, from GL.
    Unfortunately Good does not have this feature, at least on the windows side. So it is possible for "pocket action" to delete your Good info.