Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ...so I will have to bring it back to Verizon tomorrow and try for #3.

Damn, I love this thing when it's working right, but that only seems to be for a week or two at a time. It's kind of like a poor man's '66 Jag E-Type!
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    did you install ANY files?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
    did you install ANY files?
    Only:

1) The latest version of VolumeCare, and
    2) GoodLink (which wasn't even turned on when the loop happened this time)
    After synching Doc To Go with a second computer and opening a DTG file, my 700p did the same thing. Uninstalled DTG, reinstalled it and no problems. But i wont sync w/ 2nd computer anymore.
  5.    #5  
    This happened this time (seemingly) completely spontaneously. The phone was working fine, I put it in its carrying case, and several hours later when I took it out of the case to make a call, it was looping. The only "causitive" circumstance I can think of is that several of those hours were spent in a place where Verizon has spotty-to-no service, and I'd left the phone function on. Maybe drifting in and out of signal range for that long drove the phone crazy (which would only be fair, as the phone is driving ME crazy!).
  6.    #6  
    Okay, so I went to Verizon, and the phone wouldn't even allow us to perform a HARD reset on it. It would get to the point where it would ask if you wanted to erase all the data, but if you said yes, it would just start looping "Access Powered" all over again. (At that point, I decided that it should actually be looping "INACCESSABLY Powered," but that's another story.)

The guys at the store (a very busy New York City location) swore to me that while they'd seen this problem on the 650, they'd never seen it on a 700. Although it's possible that I've just had incredibly bad luck twice (i.e., with two different brand new phones) within six weeks, I tend to think that's rather unlikely. Thus, I'm trying to analyze what could be causing this. Here are the only non-standard things relating to my phone:

1) VolumeCare 5.46: Although the web site says earlier versions of this program caused some kind of looping (perhaps not the kind I have), they claim to have fixed it in the current version, which is what I'd installed. Also, the fact that it was working fine in the phone for several weeks (and the phone won't even allow a HARD reset) makes me tend to think this isn't the cause. Any agreement or disagreement on this?

2) GoodLink: This program is used by, probably, thousands of IT departments and tens-- if not hundreds-- of thousands of individuals, and I tend to think that if it were causing this, many more people would be having this problem. In fact, I did have an "error message" problem with GoodLink on the phone a couple of weeks ago, but a hard reset and reinstall seemed to have solved it. Also, as with my VolumeCare comment, the fact that I can't do even a HARD reset on the phone tends to make me think this isn't a third party application-caused problem. Also, I actually had the GoodLink OFF when this occurred. Does anyone have any other thoughts about this?

3) The latest version of "Documents to Go": I've installed whatever their newest update is but, as with GoodLink and VoulmeCare, this was done a couple of weeks ago, and the phone had been functioning fine in the interim. Also, I wasn't using the program when this (looping problem) started happening.

4) The 2400 ma extended life Seidio battery: As has been pointed out earlier on this board, this battery is rated at 3.6 volts, vs. the standard battery's 3.7 volts. Now I'm starting to wonder if this seemingly very slight difference could, over a few weeks (or perhaps soontaneously), screw up the phone badly enough to cause the current (apparently) ROM or hardware-related problem. Does anyone smarter than I have any thoughts about this theory?

Thanks!
    Last edited by rsdmems; 07/16/2006 at 01:00 PM. Reason: One more "non-standard" thing on my phone...
    If you can't hard reset the phone, then you have a hardware problem and the phone needs to be replaced.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
    If you can't hard reset the phone, then you have a hardware problem and the phone needs to be replaced.
    Yes, I understand that. My question is: Could any of the above-listed things have CAUSED the hardware problem by possibly corrupting something in the phone??? It seems like a very strange thing for this to have happened to me twice, with two different phones.
    The battery is the most likely culprit. I did not realize that their was a voltage differential.

I am seriously thinking about discontinuing my use of the extended battery, based on your experiences. (Ugg.. I'm gonna mis it.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    The battery is the most likely culprit. I did not realize that their was a voltage differential.

I am seriously thinking about discontinuing my use of the extended battery, based on your experiences. (Ugg.. I'm gonna mis it.)

I have had this Access Loop happen to me and I did not have any other the software he has or the extended battery....SO I highly doubt its the battery
    Power = Voltage x Current. If voltage drops current has to raise inversely, if the unit is consuming the same amount of power.

I am now have serious concerns regarding the Seidio battery.

(Any EE majors, see an issue with my train of thought?)
    I've had the access loop happen when I first got my unit and installed every thing under the sun. I have methodically removed problem applications, and haven't seen the issue since. One thing, a hard reset, always got me out of the loop. I have the big battery, also, but am seriously considering dropping back to the factory battery.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/16/2006 at 06:19 PM.
    It's not the battery...I've had several infinite reset loops with OEM batteries.

There's a defect in the Palm OS. Also the JVM and Java apps tend to exacerbate the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It's not the battery...I've had several infinite reset loops with OEM batteries.

There's a defect in the Palm OS. Also the JVM and Java apps tend to exacerbate the problem.
    can you explain this a little more?
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    My infinite loop was caused by my playing with the IBM Java stuff in the preference file. At the time I was playing, Java was not in main memory, it was in the ZLauncher application folders of KMaps and Opera. So, by Java not being in main memory and with me playing with the Java thing in the preferences menu, I went into an endless loop that required a hard reset. No other got me out of the loop.
    Ben
    you guys are missing the point here...the access powered loop that this thread started out discussing will not allow you to hard reset the phone under ANY condition. It happened to me on my Sprint 700P and Dutch Trumpet also suffered the same fate. He posted that he spoke with a saavy tier two tech that told him that he knew of 4 reported instances of defective Treos from a certain "batch" of them. As this thred is talking about Verizon and he and I are sprint, I wonder how that can be one batch. There's a problem here people that I'm willing to bet is a lot larger in the non Treo Central board members realm.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I had the same problem (Access Powered loop that would not respond to any hard reset) right after I first got the Treo. I hadn't installed a thing or done anything but charge the phone. Had to exchange it for a new one. Someone on this board mentioned in another thread that they had heard that there was a batch of Treos with bad memory chips and that was causing the problem.
    I have the same problem with my sprint 700p I did not get a chance to install anything yet. I was reading the forums to see what people said not to install and when I took the phone out to make a call it was looping Access Power. The only thing that was added were contacts after people called me.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Did you perform a sync with an older profile at all? If so, that is not a good thing to do and can cause major problems. To confirm, your free memory is about 61MB, indicating that nothing else was installed?
    the access loop reset is new to the 700p

it is caused by a defective batch of memory chips.

it is HW failure unrelated to anything installed, backed up or manipulated by the user.

I hope that's clear now.

if not read it again.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast