Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    I have just been issued a replacement vzw 700p for the same problem:
    endless loop (access screen) and no ability to reset of any kind. Hard reset proceedure produces the erase data screen, but up arrow restarts the endless loop.

I have a real conundrum that vzw wont help me with. i do not want to mail the phone back, as it contains sensitive information in it. Actually, I would be in violation of federal law if I deliberately gave this phone to someone else.

Has anyone (dutchtrumpet are you listening?) figured out any method of clearing the data from this failure?

Thanks!
    I had the same problem that you had and what you I did was make sure that the memory could not be accessed. If the phone wasnt fried before it was when i turned it in.
    Had the same problem on a Telus 700p. Hard resets don't fix the issue. It does get to the point where it asks you if you want to clear your data, but it doesn't fix the problem.
    I had the same problem in the beginning. After one week of trying, I figured out that it was some software that I had been using in my Treo 600 and Treo 650 which was not compatible with the 700.

I managed to do a hard reset (after removing the battery) and re-installed ONLY the software that came with the phone. It worked like a charm.

I then proceeded to install updates to my incompatible programs which were verified to work FLAWLESSLY on the 700 and have not had a resetting/looping problem since.

Stalker768
    I had the ACCESS loop problem with my Sprint 700p about a month ago. Attempting a Hard Reset would ask to press up to Erase all Data. Doing so would result in the power resetting and the ACCESS logo reappearing permanently (until battery removed). Removing battery overnight and then reinserting battery led to ACCESS logo appearing and never going away. Inserting a different battery led to the same thing ( I have 3 batteries and 2 Treos. One is a Seidio 2200maH battery).

Took the faulty 700p into the Sprint store and they gave me a brand spankin' new 700p in the box, everything included Didn't have to return my old power cords, synch cable, headphones, etc., although they did keep the old battery and broken Treo.

Interestingly, I performed a restore to the new 700p and started getting a reset after a few minutes. Freaked out a bit, but it wasn't an ACCESS loop. I could do the hard reset.

So I restored again and removed the programs I had recently updated (Initiate and Butler were 2 of them, but there was a corrupted entry in the MemoDB file which I think was the true cause of the resets--to fix that, I restored the MemoDB from an earlier backup set). I'm pretty sure whatever caused the ACCESS logo lockup and ruined my old 700p is responsible for corrupting the MemoDB. It had to be a hardware failure.

Backup program, in case you're interested, is BackupMan.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I have already replaced one treo 700p due to the access power loop in which no amount of hard resetting will rectify the problem. My replacement phone lasted about 2 weeks before it happened again today. Due to my previous experience I thought I was toast. I let my IT friend Stafford fiddle with it assuming it was a brick. He handed the phone back to me in full working condition.

Here is exactly what he did and his reasoning for it.

1. Take the battery out.

2. Massage the keys. This means run your hand over the keys making sure none of them are stuck. Apparently, in laptops if the keys are stuck, it can cause wierd problems. This may or may not help.

3. With the battery out, hold down the reset button for one minute with your stylus. This apparenly will clear recalcitrant memory similar to a laptop.

4. Replace the battery.

I don't even think he did a hard reset. I had previously done one, so the memory was gone anyway. Perhaps the battery out, hold for one minute solution will clear the problem without the hard reset. Let me know. I propose we call this the "Stafford Solution" in honor of my friend if it works for others.
    lol...the best is when a treo goes into a headset bypass jack failure loop (where the phone thinks there's a headset plugged into it at all times...where no previous hard resets fixed it)..just take the headphone jack in and out and twist it around a little bit...and wholllaa!! treo works like normal again...

its funny the wweird little things we have to do to keep our treo running
    FWIW, I have been using the Seidio extended battery for nearly a year with NO PROBLEMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    Okay, so I went to Verizon, and the phone wouldn't even allow us to perform a HARD reset on it. It would get to the point where it would ask if you wanted to erase all the data, but if you said yes, it would just start looping "Access Powered" all over again. (At that point, I decided that it should actually be looping "INACCESSABLY Powered," but that's another story.)

The guys at the store (a very busy New York City location) swore to me that while they'd seen this problem on the 650, they'd never seen it on a 700. Although it's possible that I've just had incredibly bad luck twice (i.e., with two different brand new phones) within six weeks, I tend to think that's rather unlikely. Thus, I'm trying to analyze what could be causing this. Here are the only non-standard things relating to my phone:

1) VolumeCare 5.46: Although the web site says earlier versions of this program caused some kind of looping (perhaps not the kind I have), they claim to have fixed it in the current version, which is what I'd installed. Also, the fact that it was working fine in the phone for several weeks (and the phone won't even allow a HARD reset) makes me tend to think this isn't the cause. Any agreement or disagreement on this?

2) GoodLink: This program is used by, probably, thousands of IT departments and tens-- if not hundreds-- of thousands of individuals, and I tend to think that if it were causing this, many more people would be having this problem. In fact, I did have an "error message" problem with GoodLink on the phone a couple of weeks ago, but a hard reset and reinstall seemed to have solved it. Also, as with my VolumeCare comment, the fact that I can't do even a HARD reset on the phone tends to make me think this isn't a third party application-caused problem. Also, I actually had the GoodLink OFF when this occurred. Does anyone have any other thoughts about this?

3) The latest version of "Documents to Go": I've installed whatever their newest update is but, as with GoodLink and VoulmeCare, this was done a couple of weeks ago, and the phone had been functioning fine in the interim. Also, I wasn't using the program when this (looping problem) started happening.

4) The 2400 ma extended life Seidio battery: As has been pointed out earlier on this board, this battery is rated at 3.6 volts, vs. the standard battery's 3.7 volts. Now I'm starting to wonder if this seemingly very slight difference could, over a few weeks (or perhaps soontaneously), screw up the phone badly enough to cause the current (apparently) ROM or hardware-related problem. Does anyone smarter than I have any thoughts about this theory?

Thanks!

1. Latest version of VolumeCare is 5.59. Try that.
    2. Don't use Goodlink, sorry.
    3. I am on Docs to Go 9, not sure which version you are on. Even 8 was not a problem.
    4. I have the 2400 battery from Seidio, with no problems. doubt the voltage is the reason. might just be a typo. had my 700P since they came out. no battery problem. occasional lags, bluetooth sucks, and not being able to use Versamail really sucks, since that causes major lags for me.
    Out of curiosity, have the people with the reset loop tried taking out their memory cards when experiencing the loop? When I had the reset loop, I took out the card and did a hard reset. That worked for me.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I don't have time to read this whole thread but its obviously the USER.

I also saw someone say they have sensitive data... boo hoo... against federal law? lol Telling me you don't have proper channels to have this resolved?

Stick to a LAN phone and carry quarters.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Just got my 700p replaced yesterday due to the Access Loop issue here are my thoughts on this problem:

It can be an intermittent problem which is why I think some people are having different experiences i.e. some say there is nothing that will stop it and others report that when they massage the keys and take out the battery it's ok. When it first started there was nothing I could do either including taking the battery out or trying a hard reset. After much fiddling and trying creative things I got it to do a hard reset but that was short lived as within 10 hours it was back into the Access Loop again.

I noticed that sometimes it would loop through the Access screen forever and sometimes it would just stick on the Access screen and stay there. Other times it would loop 3 times and then stick to the Access screen. The frustrating thing was when I would take the device back to Sprint and I left the battery out (wanted as much juice left for a replacement) I would find that after putting it back in it would start back up again without a problem. Once again this was short lived and I eventually left it stuck on the Access screen when I brought it into the Sprint store and got the long awaited replacement phone. It seems in my case if I just left it alone for 20mins after getting it to work and I tried to do something it would go back into the Access Loop.

I noticed that my backup files from BackupBuddy had unusual file names (see attached pic) but nowhere else on the card did this happen. Not sure if this was a result of the Loop problem, a cause or what.

My suspicion is that whatever it is (bad memory chip, 3rd party software etc...) I think the POS is showing it's age by not able to deal with this and other problems creating more frustration for us users. This is why I hope the next device has a completely new and trouble free OS (Linux or whatever). Alright maybe that's asking too much for a first generation OS but hopefully by the second or third update they will get it right

P.S.
    I forgot to mention a few weird things when I had this problem:
    1. The battery would intermittently say it was full charged when it wasn't and the charge light would go off sometimes when it was charging.
    2. I couldn't send text messages while I was using DUN (something that I was always able to do)
    3.Couldn't copy text from Blazer on websites
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/22/2007 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    Out of curiosity, have the people with the reset loop tried taking out their memory cards when experiencing the loop? When I had the reset loop, I took out the card and did a hard reset. That worked for me.
    That was one of the first things I tried. SD Cards get corrupted and can go bad, causing unpredictable things (been down that road before).

I did not try holding the reset button down for 60 seconds with the battery out, though. Perhaps that is something (read: an undocumented feature) to keep in mind.

I will say this, if it happens again and Sprint offers me a 755p as a replacement, I would have to insist they also replace my collection of 1-4GB SD cards with miniSD's of comparable size and replace my battery and charger collection as well. Oh, and my Krussel case and 3-in-1 styli collection, too.

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Just got my 700p replaced yesterday due to the Access Loop issue here are my thoughts on this problem:

It can be an intermittent problem which is why I think some people are having different experiences i.e. some say there is nothing that will stop it and others report that when they massage the keys and take out the battery it's ok. When it first started there was nothing I could do either including taking the battery out or trying a hard reset. After much fiddling and trying creative things I got it to do a hard reset but that was short lived as within 10 hours it was back into the Access Loop again.

I noticed that sometimes it would loop through the Access screen forever and sometimes it would just stick on the Access screen and stay there. Other times it would loop 3 times and then stick to the Access screen. The frustrating thing was when I would take the device back to Sprint and I left the battery out (wanted as much juice left for a replacement) I would find that after putting it back in it would start back up again without a problem. Once again this was short lived and I eventually left it stuck on the Access screen when I brought it into the Sprint store and got the long awaited replacement phone. It seems in my case if I just left it alone for 20mins after getting it to work and I tried to do something it would go back into the Access Loop.

I noticed that my backup files from BackupBuddy had unusual file names (see attached pic) but nowhere else on the card did this happen. Not sure if this was a result of the Loop problem, a cause or what.

My suspicion is that whatever it is (bad memory chip, 3rd party software etc...) I think the POS is showing it's age by not able to deal with this and other problems creating more frustration for us users. This is why I hope the next device has a completely new and trouble free OS (Linux or whatever). Alright maybe that's asking too much for a first generation OS but hopefully by the second or third update they will get it right

P.S.
    I forgot to mention a couple weird things when I had this problem:
    1. The battery would intermittently say it was full charged when it wasn't and the charge light would go off sometimes when it was charging.
    2. I couldn't send text messages while I was using DUN (something that I was always able to do)
    Sounds like you had a different problem - or at least a variation on the symptoms. The one I had and others had were NOT intermittent at all.

My guess is that all our problems could be related to a part of the NVRAM failing. In computers, a memory failure will cause random results (i.e., machine freeze, Black Screen of death, software failures, and even programs saved to disk to be errored).

Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    4) The 2400 ma extended life Seidio battery: As has been pointed out earlier on this board, this battery is rated at 3.6 volts, vs. the standard battery's 3.7 volts. Now I'm starting to wonder if this seemingly very slight difference could, over a few weeks (or perhaps soontaneously), screw up the phone badly enough to cause the current (apparently) ROM or hardware-related problem. Does anyone smarter than I have any thoughts about this theory?

Thanks!
    I have been running the 2400ma extended life for nearly a year. It has been a life saver and I have never had problems until very recently. I atttribute those problems to installing NotifyLink to allow my office Calendar to sync to the phone. Prior to this the 700p has been nearly flawless. The battery has hurt nothing.

I was just considering the new bigger battery, as I have had such good luck with the Seidio 2400ma and its about a year old. I'm thinking the bigger pack and newer battery should get me another year of running Chattermail all the time before I need to upgrade phones.
  15. dbs
    I simply replaced my 1800 battery with another and entered the world of the loop. Fortunately I had just synced and after the soft reset did not work I performed a hard reset, re-synced and everything is working fine.

The only problem is that I may want to change the battery again when traveling - but do not trust it.
    I didn't have a endless loop problem- but my phone just wasn't working properly.

I would turn it on, and it would look for the network- and lock up- etc.

I brought the phone into the sprint store- didn't figure they would find anything wrong.

They actually replaced the phone as repair was not economical.

Here is the question I have- what kind of manufacturing process does palm have- the phone dies less than a year old.

I'm happy to have a new phone- I'm shocked at how much faster this is vs. the unit I turned in.

But, I think my next phone isn't a treo- and its certainly not going to be a foleo.
  17. Zcu
    bump
    I having and endless loop. I can get into safe mode but I cant get the phone to turn on. If I reset after safe mode it does endless loop again. All I was doing was browsing the internet and it happened. I havent installed a new app on this phone in like a year. What do i do?
    Easiest is to hard reset and restore from the last good backup. Or go back into safe mode and uninstall apps one at a time and hope it's an app and not a corrupt database.
    ok people it hapened to me p-s me off big time so i hard reset it 100s of time till it let me hard reseit i reset it and is working d
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    the access loop reset is new to the 700p

it is caused by a defective batch of memory chips.

it is HW failure unrelated to anything installed, backed up or manipulated by the user.

I hope that's clear now.

if not read it again.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234