Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Two problems: One has to attempt fixing the first problem [software endless loop] before it can be determined whether they have the second problem [fatal hardware endless loop], or am I missing something? At first glance both problems look like the same problem. Any problem?
    everyone who is saying to peform a hard reset probably installed a crap program that is making the phone reboot. The guy who started this thread has the exact same problems i have been having. Its a hardware problem when the phone refuses to hard reset. it says erase all data and when you try to it keeps cycling.

all I install on the corporate phones is goodlink. i confiscate all sync cables to keep our sales people from downloading junk to the phone causing problems.

so when this issue occurs with me it occurs only with goodlink installed and nothing else.
    now this makes a lot of sense...not. what a joke

Quote Originally Posted by labella320 View Post
    g.
    i confiscate all sync cables to keep our sales people from downloading junk to the phone causing problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet View Post
    the access loop reset is new to the 700p

it is caused by a defective batch of memory chips.

it is HW failure unrelated to anything installed, backed up or manipulated by the user.

I hope that's clear now.

if not read it again.
    that's not true...i got into one...and even after hard resets ..it still occured...i pressed the up key and did a reset...hunted the culprit down..and it was obsufcate in my case...it was soo odd that it was still there even after a hard reset..but anyhow..i removed it ....and my treo works again!!!
    Last edited by palakdesai; 01/30/2007 at 01:47 PM.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    that's not true...i got into one...and even after a hard reset and backup ..it still occured...the i hunted the culprit down..and it was obsufcate in my case....did a selective restore without obsufcate and my treo works again!!!
    As the guy who started this thread, I can tell you that you missed my original point, which is that hard resets were not working; i.e., you couldn't do ANYTHING to stop the loop.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    As the guy who started this thread, I can tell you that you missed my original point, which is that hard resets were not working; i.e., you couldn't do ANYTHING to stop the loop.

sorry.....i messed up the writing (was in a hurry)...take a look at the edit
  7.    #47  
    sorry.....i messed up the writing (was in a hurry)...take a look at the edit
    You're still missing my original point: I was unable to do a hard reset. When I pushed the 'erase all data" function, it was simply going back into the loop, with no way to break the cycle... Capiche?
    you are missing my point....DID YOU TRY pressing the UP button and then doing a reset? It's kind of like a safe-mode for a treo phone...go in there and delete whatever software is left ...AND THEN DO A HARD RESET!! and hopefully this should help you....CAPICHE?!?!
    what sometimes happens is that software still sticks around after a hard reset...don't ask me why..but it somehow finds a way to attach to a rom app and stays...it was obsufcate in my case
  10.    #50  
    you are missing my point....DID YOU TRY pressing the UP button and then doing a reset? It's kind of like a safe-mode for a treo phone...go in there and delete whatever software is left ...AND THEN DO A HARD RESET!! and hopefully this should help you....CAPICHE?!?!
    Yes, I capiche quite clearly. When I pushed the "up" button, the phone would just go back into the loop, which is what I wrote in my last post, except that I didn't use the phrase "up button". So, now I'm done with you... Thanks.
    Try doing several hard resets. Sometimes it takes a few go-rounds to "stick".
    Quote Originally Posted by rsdmems View Post
    Yes, I capiche quite clearly. When I pushed the "up" button, the phone would just go back into the loop, which is what I wrote in my last post, except that I didn't use the phrase "up button". So, now I'm done with you... Thanks.
    if you weren't so rude...maybe you would receive more help..
    Quote Originally Posted by labella320 View Post
    everyone who is saying to peform a hard reset probably installed a crap program that is making the phone reboot. The guy who started this thread has the exact same problems i have been having. Its a hardware problem when the phone refuses to hard reset. it says erase all data and when you try to it keeps cycling.

all I install on the corporate phones is goodlink. i confiscate all sync cables to keep our sales people from downloading junk to the phone causing problems.

so when this issue occurs with me it occurs only with goodlink installed and nothing else.
    I also had the same problem and what I found was that it was the forced update that sprint/palm did to the phone. Verizon/palm has also done the same thing.

I have seen this happen on my sprint 700p and just yesterday I saw it happen on a verizon 650. BTW the reason I now have a 700p is that my sprint 650 died after a sprint update
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I have just been issued a replacement vzw 700p for the same problem:
    endless loop (access screen) and no ability to reset of any kind. Hard reset proceedure produces the erase data screen, but up arrow restarts the endless loop.

I have a real conundrum that vzw wont help me with. i do not want to mail the phone back, as it contains sensitive information in it. Actually, I would be in violation of federal law if I deliberately gave this phone to someone else.

Has anyone (dutchtrumpet are you listening?) figured out any method of clearing the data from this failure?

Thanks!
    Leave the battery out for a day or two -- and see if you can get a hard reset going after that length of time without power. CUT THE POWER OFF FROM THE EVIL GREMLIN THAT HAS CONTROL OF YOUR DEVICE! MAYBE IT WILL LET GO!

Cheers, Perry.

BTW -- this did work for a Zire 71 that was looping on me -- after the battery finally died -- the looping stopped -- and was still gone after the recharge. Ya never know -- can't hurt to try it.

Other than that -- would a huge industrial magnet erase this type of memory?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Tried that, Perry - left the battery out for a few hours, and then 48 hours. I have also tried hard resetting it at least 20 times. The zero out procedure that works on the 650, only gets me to the multicolored reboot screen. This phone is totally fried, but my data is still in it! I want vzw to come up with a solution, even if it means destroying the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwillec View Post
    Tried that, Perry - left the battery out for a few hours, and then 48 hours. I have also tried hard resetting it at least 20 times. The zero out procedure that works on the 650, only gets me to the multicolored reboot screen. This phone is totally fried, but my data is still in it! I want vzw to come up with a solution, even if it means destroying the phone.
    Stick to your guns. . . . I would want that as well.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    You just have to keep trying different things. I have had the dreaded endless loop and I can't tell you exactly how I got out of it, but I know, by trying different things, you will be able to beat it. Try doing a warm reset (hold the up dial while resetting) then try to delete whatever you think might be the offending app. (generally, the last thing you installed)

Don't give up!! You just have to be smarter than the device!!! You can do it!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    Iím on my fourth Treo 700P in five weeks !@#$%$#@!
    The first three got stuck in the Access Powered stage. No number of soft resets, hard resets, hours and days without battery helped. Nothing helped except replacing the phone.
    So now Iím going back to first principles and installing only those bits of software that I absolutely need. So far, i.e., two hours after getting my fourth phone, things are fine.
    Four phones in five weeks. ... I love Palm. Iíve been using Palms since 1998, and Treos for the past year. Wonderful! But ... Four phones in five weeks???
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast