Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

;-)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    dutch,

how do you get your 700p replaced if you've had the endless reset loop? it's tough to replicate.

I've had it once and was only able to get out of it by a hard reset. I'd like to avoid that again...
    the hw failure I'm referring to is not reocverable by any reset hard, zero or other.

maybe there are different variations but the one I and others reported in the previous thread was an endless loop. hard reset impossible.
  4.    #24  
    dutch:

As the non-EE guy who started this thread (and is now on his third phone which, so far, is fine-- perhaps because it's a "factory reconditioned" one), I have a question:

How can a phone with a defective memory chip work perfectly fine for two weeks before entering that loop?
    Beats me...that's what mine did.

ask palm, maybe they know.
    Just brought back my Sprint 700P for a replacement yesterday 7/24. Endless Loop, Hard reset would not work. This is deffinetly a bug in the phone, or the OS. Just in case, I spent 5 hours reloading all Apps from scratch. We will see what happens next. It's a crying shame that such an expensive device, suffers from these problems. Hope that Palm personnel are reading these forums.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
    I had the endless loop issue tonight after installing all of the apps I ran for the last week (since I picked up my Treo 700p) and it kept looping. I was able to get it to hard reset but it took 6 trys before it would do it. It also took me 3 hours to get it all settled. I am going to the store tomorrow and get it replaced, they do love me at Verizon though.

On the bad chip issue, is there any range of serial #'s or is this something Palm won't discuss as usuall.
    I saw this in the palm treo forum:

Default Goodlink Fatal Error - 07-23-2006, 08:42 PM
    Have real problem with Goodlink- application routinely causes 700p to reset. When use the debug code #*#377# the cause is fatal error in the goodlink application. This is really starting to be a pain as it happens more than once a day. Any ideas?
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by irabren
    I saw this in the palm treo forum:

Default Goodlink Fatal Error - 07-23-2006, 08:42 PM
    Have real problem with Goodlink- application routinely causes 700p to reset. When use the debug code #*#377# the cause is fatal error in the goodlink application. This is really starting to be a pain as it happens more than once a day. Any ideas?

maybe post that in the goodlink forum.
    I had my sprint 700p go into the endless loop that even Hard resets will not recover about a week ago. Talked to Palm , Palm said talk to Sprint. Sprint said they would send me a new phone. I have since installed the same applications on my new phone and am using the extended battery. My first phone would soft reset all the time and right before the last reset when it died it died gave an out of memory error when I knew that I had about 50Mb free, so I tend to believe the bad chip story.
    Quote Originally Posted by firstbeat
    As this thred is talking about Verizon and he and I are sprint, I wonder how that can be one batch.
    This is just speculation since I haven't seen the inside of a 700P, but I'd expect that Palm designed the device so that the radio module (and maybe a ROM chip) are the only things that vary between different carriers. Build a Treo with a GPRS/GSM radio module -- poof! Sprint. (Or Cingular, or whoever). Build one with a EvDO/CDMA radio module -- poof! Verizon. Like I said, I don't know for sure that that's what Palm has done, but it makes sense from the standpoint of managing component inventory.

Tammy
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    My Verizon Treo 700p did that endless looping day before yesterday.

Got it to hard reset by removing battery, holding down power key, and re-inserting battery.

HIGHLY recommend Backupman. I was back in full configuration in a few minutes.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    And by the way, the lag between switching apps is greatly reduced due to the hard reset. I may do this once a week just to keep things running right...
    palmtree...what you experienced is not the issue in this thread.

the defective reset is NOT recoverable with a hard reset.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Some ppl might not know different methods for hard reset...YMMV
    I had a similar issue, don't know if it's the same, but I stopped the hard reset by:

1) Removing the battery
    2) Holding the D-Pad up when reinstalling the battery

Timing might matter here. I think I either had to hold it up while I inserted the battery, or I had to wait a split second after the battery was inserted before I pushed the d-pad up.

At any rate, it allowed me to do what I think they call a warm reset, which disables certain startup code from installed apps. Then when I did a regular soft reset, it was okay again.

I'm hoping I don't have to mess with that again. Took me a while to figure out how to resolve it, and I might have just been lucky. Hopefully it's not an intermitent hardware component problem. Somehow personally, though, I think it's a software issue.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Obviously there are TWO causes to the endless loop problem. If you can solve it by hard reset [including the remove battery, press power and hold, replace battery type of reset] then you have the rarer type 2 hardware problem. The type 1 software problem that causes the endless loops also causes slowdowns. That much I have figured out. My hunch is that it takes about two to three weeks for some Treos' memory stacks to topple over shedding random bits as they fall. Next time I get the endless loop, the phone goes back. This is too much pain.
    Same problem here, who do I call to return this thing?
    I had the same problem after I installed VOLUME CARE, After a HARD re-set and a hotsync. (- Volume Care) My treo is back to normal. I love the treo700p however it has some issues....
    ok...here it is again...

if you can FIX the problem you do not have the problem.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast