Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have searched the forums for the past few days and I would like to know a little more about PowerRUN. Compared to the other launchers like Zlauncher, LauncherX, and Initiate it looks plain. Can I use my Palm luncher as the backgound and only use PwerRUN when launching apps from my SD card? It seems as though the other launchers replace your Palm luncher screen, is this correct? Will I have to activate PowerRUN every time I want to use apps on my SD card or does PowerRUN always run? I have done some research on launchers, but I still don't think I understand them completely. I am looking for a simple launcher that does not require a ton of technical knowledge to operate and something with the features and presentation of atleast the Palm launcher. I know a lot of this has been beaten to death, but any help or adivce is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    What PowerRun does is move applications to the card. After they are moved, you will see an astrisk (*) next to the application in the default launcher or any other launcher you are presently using. (I use Initiate) This tells you this is a bookmark, and selecting it will launch it to main memory. When you are done with the application, it's deleted out of main memory but still remains on the card.
    Grant N7AS

I have noticed that if your Treo crashes while you are using an app that has been moved with PowerRun, the app will remain in main memory. You need to go into PowerRun and delete it from the card and move it back from main memory.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    PowerRun also has an update shortcut link so if it resets you can just update the shortcuts and it will fix the problem after the reset.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by N7AS
    What PowerRun does is move applications to the card. After they are moved, you will see an astrisk (*) next to the application in the default launcher or any other launcher you are presently using. (I use Initiate) This tells you this is a bookmark, and selecting it will launch it to main memory. When you are done with the application, it's deleted out of main memory but still remains on the card.
    Could you tell me a little more about Initiate and what you like about it? Does the voice launching and voice dailing have to be purchased after you purchase Initiate or is it included? How stable is your 650 while using Initiate? I have done a lot of searching on launchers, but for some reason I have not found much on Initiate other than questions for the developer.

Thanks for the help! It seems like PoweRUN is simple to use, but can someone explain if I am using the default launcher do I have to open PowerRUN to use it or does it automatically open when I open an app on the SD card?
    PowerRUN works in conjunction with whatever launcher you have (the built in one or otherwise). The only time you need to enter the PowerRUN application is when you need to move an app to the card or main memory - usually that is a one time operation. Try the demo of PowerRUN and see how easy and seamless it is.
    What does powerrun do that initiate doesn't? I can run things off my card with initiate without a problem...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedsHelp
    Could you tell me a little more about Initiate and what you like about it? Does the voice launching and voice dailing have to be purchased after you purchase Initiate or is it included? How stable is your 650 while using Initiate? I have done a lot of searching on launchers, but for some reason I have not found much on Initiate other than questions for the developer.

Thanks for the help! It seems like PoweRUN is simple to use, but can someone explain if I am using the default launcher do I have to open PowerRUN to use it or does it automatically open when I open an app on the SD card?
    I like Initiate because I can launch applications and contacts just by typing the name or a partial name. Don't need the stylus much at all. Voice dialing and launching works without adding anything. Initiate has been very stable. No crashes.

Also for KRamsauer, Initiate will not move the databases associated with an application..... PowerRun will. Rob told me that he is working on something like that for Initiate.
    Grant N7AS

9.    #9  
    Initiate will not move the databases associated with an application..... PowerRun will. Rob told me that he is working on something like that for Initiate.
    Can you explain this a little more? I am not technologically advanced in the least so the simpler the explaination the better.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Can you explain this a little more? I am not technologically advanced in the least so the simpler the explaination the better.
    Many programs have multiple files associated with them.

For example, SplashID is a great program for storing passwords, serials, account #'s etc. There is the file that runs the progam and then a hidden Database file that holds the information. PowerRun will move both the files and the databases to the memory card. Whereas (I assume) initiate only moves the program and the database (which can be rather large in size, depending on the program) stays on the phone.

Hope that helps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    Many programs have multiple files associated with them.

For example, SplashID is a great program for storing passwords, serials, account #'s etc. There is the file that runs the progam and then a hidden Database file that holds the information. PowerRun will move both the files and the databases to the memory card. Whereas (I assume) initiate only moves the program and the database (which can be rather large in size, depending on the program) stays on the phone.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the great explaination.

My final question before I download a trial version of PowerRUN is with PowerRUN will I ever need a third party launcher. The programs I will have are Uninstall Manager, NVBackup, FileZ(sd), DA(sd), Flight Status(sd), and a few games(sd). I would like to keep things fairly simple so if you have any advice or corrections please let me know. I was looking at LauncherX and Initiate, but I would rather use a simple program like PowerRUN if it will work.
    Initate does move applications to the SD card and back to memory to run them. What it does not do is moved unrelated applications from memory to the SD card and back, which is what ZLauncher is capable of doing. Ben
    Also for KRamsauer, Initiate will not move the databases associated with an application..... PowerRun will. Rob told me that he is working on something like that for Initiate.
    Ah, gotcha.
    Thanks for the great explaination.

My final question before I download a trial version of PowerRUN is with PowerRUN will I ever need a third party launcher.
    PowerRUN will work with the Palm built-in launcher. There is no need for a third-party launcher.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    LauncherX moves both the app AND the database Plus it gives you a way to 'organize' your apps.
    I don't think there's a person on the planet who "needs" a launcher . A launcher is strickly "look and feel" though some throw additional fgeatures in the basket also. PowerRUN does opne simple thing and it does more simply and more reliably than anything else. It lets you put apps on the card w/o having to leave everything on the "SD Card" screen.

On the Palm Vx I used a Launcher....on the Treo, I tried LauncherX, Zlauncher and a couple of others and to my mind, they just cluttered up the screen. Think of it like using WindowsXP.....or the new aero features of Windows Vista. As soon as I get a windows box, I tun all the UI "pretty crap" off....the clutter and so called features (window animations / 3D effects etc ) just distract the eyes and suck up CPU cycles.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I use Zlauncher and PowerRun
    I've been reading this thread & am going to give PowerRun a try. At the moment I am using ZLauncher but my trial is over & I'm undecided about if I want to purchase it. I do like the feature that ables me to easily move programs to the SD Card & make shortcuts. One question - I think I read in the documentation (I downloaded a trial but haven't installed yet) that you have to start fresh with all of the programs on the Treo (not the card) - wil I have to move things back to the treo memory and then move them back to the card w/PowerRun for it to work correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie K
    wil I have to move things back to the treo memory and then move them back to the card w/PowerRun for it to work correctly?
    That's an easy way to do it and it should work fine.
    Jules:

I do like the feature that ables me to easily move programs to the SD Card & make shortcuts.
    PowerRUN gives ya the feature you looking for.....it's the only feature it has....which is why I like it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast