1.    #1  
    I am not a Treo geek who lives life on Treocentral, like many of you. I am an ordinary Treo user, physician who has been a Palm user for 8 years. This is my second year as a Treo user--I got tired of carrying a pager, cell phone, and Palm, so I bought a Treo 650 last year to combine all those functions (my staff texts me now instead of paging me--works fine!). I am an ordinary user who uses Blazer as a Web browser, has very few 3rd party software pieces on my machine, don't use a different launcher (for what I need, a different launcher wouldn't help), use the included Versamail occasionally, and I don't do any hacking, though I read the hacking threads thoroughly and think I could manage it.

So cut me some slack, eh?

I purchased a VZW T650 in May 2005 when they were released. However, it became clear very quickly that the phone part of the 650 was not very good. The volume sucked, and adding Volumecare improved things slightly but was unstable on my system, so it was uninstalled. The call waiting feature left something to be desired--if I answered a second call, and tried to go back to the first, the second wouldn't disconnect. In my Acura TL, I had random crashes frequently when the car connected to the phone to make a call--so much so that I eventually stopped using it. Last, the speaker burned out after six months of ownership, and I required a replacement phone. 1xRTT for web browsing was like sucking molasses through a straw, but was usable for email. Despite this, I soldiered on with convergence of devices as the machine rocked as a Palm despite the memory (I had converted from a Tungsten C so you can see how 23 MB was not enough), I could stick a 2 GB SD card in it and run some software from that, and the phone was just good enough without the BT and volume issues (mainly when outside) that I could use it. In addition, things improved in the BT crash department, slightly, after the firmware upgrade.

Then the 700p was announced, then released. More memory! Updated phone app! Better BT! EVDO! I figured it was worth a shot, because I was finally going to get rid of my 650 and upgrade to a Windows device. As a Mac user, that hurt, and as a longtime POS user, with my practice data on JFile and my schedule on Calendar/Palm Destop, it would hurt even more to change.

Well....now that you know my background, let me tell you that Palm did a nice job for an incremental upgrade.

What I like:
    1. More memory--even with "only" 64 MB RAM available, that waas more than double what was available to me on the 650. I actually use my Treo as a Palm first and phone second, so this amount of memory puts me back on par with my Tungsten C. In addition, now I can use 4 GB SD cards! Thank you, Palm!

2. More stable BT--The 700p is so much better in my 2004 TL than the 650. With the 650 I had the high-pitched whine for several seconds before call initiation, random crashes (included looping resets requiring hard resets twice), random BT signal drops with the phone in use, and no signal/battery information on the HFL.

The 700p has no such issues. The only issues I do have are a)I cannot initiate a phone call from the phone, in the car, and have it connect automatically to HFL. This can be an annoyance, especially because with the first call after I start the car (EVERY TIME) the voice recognition garbles my voice so I have t yell "transfer" several times before the call connects. This latter behavior is purely a TL issue--every time I start the car, then make the first phone call, the numbers are garbled when I say them to the HFL system, or the commands are misinterpreted. This has been an issue since I bought my car in 2003, with every BT phone I've used (Moto V710, T650, now T700p). I wish Acura would do a firmware update, but it likely won't happen.

b) I've also had two instances in which the HFL wouldn't recognize the phone. As stated above, it takes restarting the car after a few minutes to correct the problem.

Other than those two issues, which I'd rather deal with than the repeated crashes, the 700p is MUCH more useful in my TL than the 650 was. If Palm fixes the bugs, this phone will ROCK.

3. More stable phone.app in general--no more random crashes.
    4. The volume is better when outside. I don't need Volumecare.
    5. EVDO-based net access is really better. The simple features of the built-in Versamail are all I need and it works fine for my occasional email need.
    6. The phone holds its signal better than the 650.
    7. I've only had to soft reset the phone twice in the last six weeks. My average reset frequency with the 650 was twice a week.

What I don't like:
    1. So when I update DocsToGo, the updated program will take up more RAM, and I have to wait on Palm to provide a firmware upgrade to update the version in ROM? That sucks.
    2. This phone is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. The most frequent example: hangup up a call on phone.app. I push the red button, or select "hang up" on the screen. It takes about five seconds to hang up, where on the 650 it was immediate. If I press more than once, I end up dialing my voicemail. I can live with this as I'm positive a firmware upgrade will speed up this behavior. Switching between apps can be maddeningly slow as well. This tends to happen in areas where the cell signal is sketchy.
    3. The screen has a minor defect in the center--sometimes, there's an area that looks like a small puddle of oil in that it refracts the light. It's not there consistently and I haven't seen it at all for a while--I simply rubbed the screen as I was cleaning it and it was gone. ????

So overall, while many of you think the 700p was a borderline upgrade, which is true based on features, this ordinary user actually has gotten his money's worth simply with improved stability and I am very happy I upgraded.

Just for reference: My 3rd party apps are

ePocrates
    jFile
    The Little Blue Book (Skyscape)
    ICD-9 (SkyScape)

I feel confident enough in the stability of this guy that I might experiment with more 3rd party apps.

HTH!
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Im just as happy with my treo 700p then i was with the 650 that thing realy sucked.
    I think a firmware upgrade is all we will need to fix many of the bugs . I wondering about the speaker? will that also be included in the upgrade?
    Im a comedian so i stay on the road alot and this has realy help me keep a track of my shows dates times and interviews. And also has helped me keep my family in order when im on the road for days at a time.
    the treo700p rocks.
    Im thinking about getting my daughter on as she is starting her first year in college.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    Good report, thanks for writing all that out
    The "puddle of oil" you are seeing is moisture build-up between the touch-sensitive overlay and the screen itself -- if you carry it in your pocket on a hot or humid day, you will see this occasionally. It takes a few minutes for the moisture to clear, but once it does the effect is gone. It happened to me the other day and I freaked out... then it slowly disappeared as the moisture evaporated.
    Thanks for the post, neuronbob. I'm in a similar position to yours: physician looking to merge at least two devices, longtime Palm OS user, and longer time Mac user.

A couple of questions:

1. What did you mean by "upgrade to a Windows device?" Were you considering the 700w before getting the 700p? (In my experience, synching Palm OS and Mac OS devices hasn't been a problem.)

2. How's the reception been with the 700p?

TIA.
  6.    #6  
    That's right, I was considering the 700w or iPaq, but the 700p saved me from having to do that. I should've clarified in my (LONG) post.

Reception with the 700p is the same or better in most places than the 650.
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob
    2. This phone is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. The most frequent example: hangup up a call on phone.app. I push the red button, or select "hang up" on the screen. It takes about five seconds to hang up, where on the 650 it was immediate. If I press more than once, I end up dialing my voicemail. I can live with this as I'm positive a firmware upgrade will speed up this behavior. Switching between apps can be maddeningly slow as well. This tends to happen in areas where the cell signal is sketchy.
    Yup. All of the 700p's are like that. It's a bug in the way that they access the databases. http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1046509
    Nice post neuronbob!

I'm a 2nd year medical student and I merged 3 devices (ipaq pocket pc, cell phone, ipod). So the 700p is my first experience with a Treo and I'm hooked.

-t
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
    A great post indeed. Well written and well balanced. Thanks, neuronbob.

i am going to try the Q.

Built in BT Stereo, EVDO - basically a Razor w/ email am=nd internet. I don't lie waht i read about the P. BT is very important to me.
  11.    #11  
    I also looked the Q briefly, largely because of its price. However, its functinality was limited for what I use a smartphone for and I didn't change my mind about the 700p. When that device is mature, though, it will rock. If only it ran POS.....
    Good to see someone that is having good experiences with the 700p. I am also enjoying my 700p. On a scale of 1-10 in power usage...I am a 6.5. I think the 8-10 are the ones having more of the problems pushing it to the limit and expecting everything to be perfect on top of it. It is indeed slow but I overlook it. I don't use my phone for fun or games...strictly for what I need it for and then it dissapears. I do play a little I admit on the side but not to the extreme where the performance short commings is a problem. Now, I cant blame anyone for griping for having a lemon of a unit...shame on Palm.
    at&t iPhone3G