1.    #1  
    is there any good (free) software for use at school. i would like to be able to keep track of all of my homework, and assignments, as well as grades. i have seen one, but it only let me track one class.

thanks, brandon
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    Buy Four.Zero. Oh, wait - you said free.

Buy Four.Zero. Download it, try it, buy it. I fooled around with free stuff, tried developing my own with ThinkDB, even used Palm Desktop to see what I could come up with. Forget it. Buy Four.zero. Have I said that already?
  3.    #3  
    thanks, just downlaoded and installed. will try it at school tomorrow.
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    My Visor came with a datebook. Great for entering assignment due dates.

My visor came with a ToDo list. Great for keeping track of homework.

My visor came with a great calculator. Great help with any math or measurement problems.

ThinkDB is free. With a little work, you could easily make a grade tracker. You can create as many TinyBytes as you want, each cloned from one original one you make to track grades for one class. Modify the clones to work specifically for each of your other classes. Get the latest version, though.

My point? With a little imagination, your Visor is already a great student helper.

Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.
    ThinkDB can do a lot, but it can't perform calculations on a group of records, IE: Grade1*weightingA + grade2*weightingA + grade3*weightingB / RecordNumber = OverAllGrade. It also can't list assignments all in one place while also porting assignements to Datebook, or ToDo.
    The thing I personally find lacking in Four.Zero is tieing the ToDo and Datebook items directly in, so that when one gets marked 'complete' the other does too. (Four.Zero can CREATE ToDo items, but retains its' own data list, so you would have 2 ToDo items) I bought it, and I'm glad.
  6.    #6  
    wow, i used four.zero at school and i was impressed.

i had tried to use all of the features such as memopad, and datebook, but it was extremely unorganized and not a good alternative to one program that handles it all.

i set up my classes, and entering homework and assignments was very easy with many options. so far i am satisfied, and after my 30 day trial, i just might end up purchasing this program.
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    was my article not helpful?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  8.    #8  
    huh?
    all around good guy

brandon
    drop me a line
    Originally posted by BrandonT
    ThinkDB can do a lot, but it can't perform calculations on a group of records, IE: Grade1*weightingA + grade2*weightingA + grade3*weightingB / RecordNumber = OverAllGrade. It also can't list assignments all in one place while also porting assignements to Datebook, or ToDo.
    Hmmm. What version of ThinkDB have you tried? I've got version 2.0.0, build 002. The Gradebook tinybyte I created keeps each student as a record. Each record has a field for each assignment, and for the weighting of each assignment. Although the length of a math equation is limited, using intermediate sums lets you make equations as long as you like. For my exercise 1 which has 5 parts, an equation field looks like this: 1a+1b+1c+1d+1e/5*w1. This adds all exercise scores a thru e, finds the average, then multiples by the weighting value. The class has 4 exercises. My final grade equation looks at the results from each exercise, and calculates the final numeric score. All is kept tidy in seperate views and forms. Basically I can look at each student's grades, or all students' grades, any exercise, or any other filtered group I choose.

Now I'll admit my application is for holding a class worth of grades, and not a single student's. I doubt this would be a challenge, though. Memo and Text fields are available. Date and Time too. Math and Logic equations can be used. There are certainly limits, but nothing a little creativity and compromise can't work around.

ThinkDB could be better. Version 2.0.0 is darned capable already, though. And it's free!

Dave
    There is nothing yet made by man that cannot be improved upon.