Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I've been doing some research online but with no luck yet.

I'm looking for an FM transmitter that I can plug into the cigarette lighter adapter of my car that will power both the FM transmitter AND the Treo.

I know these devices exist for iPods and other other MP3 players , but have not been able to find this for the Treo.

Searches for "treo fm transmitter" mostly return the Seidio iSound, which looks like an ordinary FM transmitter. What's the big deal with it and why are multiple sites selling this thing specifically for the Treo?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Best buy carries a simple fm transmitter that plugs into a cigaret lighter and has a usb-out. If you have a usb charging cable, you can charge your treo thru it.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gagara02
    Best buy carries a simple fm transmitter that plugs into a cigaret lighter and has a usb-out. If you have a usb charging cable, you can charge your treo thru it.
    Hmm -- I guess I'm not following 100%.

After some searches, I found an example of what I think you were talking about. The device has a USB 5V out. But what type of "usb charging cable" can I use in conjunction with this device to charge my Treo? Links to specific products would be very much appreciated.
    you can always make you own. All you need is an 5V FM transmitter and a retractable USB sync cable.

Just rewire the sync cable so that you have a wire for each audio channel, Use the - wire for audio ground and connect the power to +5V.

I wired one up but lost it... need to make another one for my 650. Not sure if it will work on a 700P
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Here's the one I use with my 700p, and previously on my 650 since the connector is the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Retractable-...QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't buy from this particular seller, but its the same model. However, mine is plugged into a cigarette adapter with a USB port on it. Same principal as the device you found, except I don't have a transmitter on mine.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The sync cable from ebay listed in the previous post is exactly what I use. The transmitter that I use is this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1138085296065
    I found this one to have the best sound quality (out of the ones I've tried) while providing usb-charging capability. The other posts have pretty much explained everything else...
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    Here's the one I use with my 700p, and previously on my 650 since the connector is the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Retractable-...QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't buy from this particular seller, but its the same model. However, mine is plugged into a cigarette adapter with a USB port on it. Same principal as the device you found, except I don't have a transmitter on mine.

I hope I'm not being too dense, but what do you mean by "USB port"? is it a USB female to female adapter?

I guess I'm confused because I have the following elements: USB male (from the FM transmitter), a Treo female, and a cable (from your link) that has a Treo male but also another USB male. Is an adapter like the one I linked in this message needed?

(note: I just found this product which is what you may have been referring to. If it is than it might not work perfectly because I'd ideally like to use something that powered both the FM transmitter and the Treo, and this would only power the Treo).

Thanks for all your responses.

EDIT! More searching, more products found. Here is an FM transmitter with a built in FM port. This would allow me to use a sync cable (like the one you linked to) to power my Treo!
    Last edited by bmnboy; 07/16/2006 at 03:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    you can always make you own. All you need is an 5V FM transmitter and a retractable USB sync cable.

Just rewire the sync cable so that you have a wire for each audio channel, Use the - wire for audio ground and connect the power to +5V.

I wired one up but lost it... need to make another one for my 650. Not sure if it will work on a 700P

Sounds interesting, but I'd almost certainly need a good amount of more details on sentence #2
    My retractable cable plugs into this:

http://eforcity.stores.yahoo.net/dothusbccad5.html

It has an extra female USB port to plug another device into if needed.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I'll put up a how-to on my blog... within the next month or so

But to summarize. I use a Treo 650 retractable USB sync cable that has 4 conductors. They are used for +5V, Right and left Audio, and common (for V and audio).

One end plugs into the treo multi-use connector, the other end is hard wired were it needs to go in the FM Transmitter.

To wire the Treo side, search for pinout info. To wire the other side, you need to find +5V, audio left and right, and common ground.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    My retractable cable plugs into this:

http://eforcity.stores.yahoo.net/dothusbccad5.html

It has an extra female USB port to plug another device into if needed.
    Do you think that if you have one of this and use a program like CardReader v.0.98, then connect it to the flashdrive port using an USB sync cable, then you could possibly make the Treo as a flashdrive while the flashdrive port still power charge Treo and thus totally eliminate the audio cable connection? Could you try that and proof my theory? Thanks for listening.