1.    #1  
    Howdy folks!

Well I'm one of those that loves technology I wish it treated me with the same enthusiasm.
    My wife & I just got TREO's 650's I been keeping a eye on them for about a year now waiting for my crappy Cingular Wireless service contract to run its course with the SonyEriccson T616

Well it seems that technology passing me by has done me a little good.
    We got the phones from Earthlink {runs off the Sprint network} It was advertised at $199.00 .
    when I called they were running a special $149.! OK good!
    well after 2 months of service then they will refund another $100 each! so . .

other than getting stuck with another 2 year contract
    FIDDY bucks for a smart phone sounds good
    time will tell

I am learning how to use a PC & now this thing & look forward to learning from you all.
    {its a different world from working on cars & equipment }

Please tell me if you think I made a good choice
    i know its nice not to have to carry a separate camera & camcorder & i like the organizer so far

Give it to me straight the good bad & ugly

Well enuf babbling for now I look forward to learning how to MP3

I usually go by "Slowride 66" but it would not let me register that user name ...oh well

Thanks for reading this & for your time

SR66
    Well, I don't think you can learn "how to MP3" , but the Treo does playback MP3 files. The first thing you're going to want to do is setup a nice launcher (I prefer ZLauncher) and get a nice theme (you can find them through Google). The next thing you will want to do is get some good applications, games, etc. Handango.com and PalmGear.com are good resources for this. Since you want to play MP3's, I would suggest you get pTunes. Look around those sites, try out the trial versions of interesting applications. I don't know how EarthLink's plans work, but I imagine you will want to get E-Mail on your phone. I highly recommend SnapperMail, because as you will soon find, the native mail client is terrible. You should also search the forums to see what other people are using. You should also look at creating some custom ROMs; you'll want to maximize your memory.

3.    #3  
    I have Earthlink & versamail Email accounts which I can access 4 different ways?

Ive grown to love the earthlink on the home PC because it blocks out EVERYTHING i dont want so I guess I'm used to that part.

I have 500 anytime minuets & unlimited Data.

I need to get a "SD" card I've seen them as ig as 2 Gigs will this unit handle this?

Um it comes with "real player" & something else I'm not sure just yet, LOL
    can you say technically challenged?

SR66
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride treo
    I have Earthlink & versamail Email accounts which I can access 4 different ways?

Ive grown to love the earthlink on the home PC because it blocks out EVERYTHING i dont want so I guess I'm used to that part.
    Congrats on your Treo. You can use the Treo's browser to access your email like you would on your PC but part of having a smartphone is using an email app (like was mentioned above) to access your acct. If you've got filters on your Earthlink that are working well for you, that's good. You'll still get only what your filters allow.

I have 500 anytime minuets & unlimited Data.
    Having the Treo (as opposed to your old phone) won't affect your phone usage but the unlimited data was a smart choice.

I need to get a "SD" card I've seen them as ig as 2 Gigs will this unit handle this?
    Yes, the Teo supports 2gig cards.

Um it comes with "real player" & something else I'm not sure just yet, LOL
    can you say technically challenged?
    Some folks are satisfied with the included RP. Many people spring for pocketTunes Deluxe for more robust features, like streaming internet radio.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Let me try this again...1st one disappeared.

1. Try and resist the urge to load stuff on the Treo 1st week.....like the manual says, use it as a phone for a week and make sure there are no hardware issues on a bare bones unit.

2. Use the time to read TC each nite especially THE STICKIES.

3. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager as 1st app. This will help you get flakey programs off if they start screwing things up.

4. Install the apps on the CD including the Voice Dial program by Voice Signal. My 14 day trial lasted 10 minutes....love this program and there is a free upgrade available.

5. Grab the Dataviz tech tool so ya can move Docs2Go to ya new SD cards that ya gonna buy from newegg or see the "SD Card Deals" thread.

6. Grab a backup app....NVBackup is a freebie and great.

7. Unlike da frozen guy above I am quite happy with the default launcher and find 3rd party launchers too "cluttered". I tried them all and found I can work faster and am more productive with the default Palm launcher....but that's a matter of personal taste.

8. Ya will want something to manage your apps on the SD card and PowerRUN is the simplest and most reliable option there. Again, a lot of 3rd party launchers do this too but if ya don't want the bells and whistles, this does the job quietly and unobtrusively.

9. I manage 3 e-mail accounts and some 300 e-mails a day with Versamail.....granted I will use my laptop whenever I can get to it instead of the Treo but that's because I prefer typing on a full size KB and a 17" screen as opossed to thumb typing on a 2" screen.

10. Some things to look at:

-Card Export II will let you "mount" your SD card in the Treo as an external drive in windows via the USB cable.
    -Crash interupts those annoying reset loops. Freebie but Pro version available which adds logging of crashes....good when you have problems, useless when ya don't.
    -DirectoryAssistant - White / Yellow pages for ya Treo
    -MemInfo - nice cache / memory flushing tool
    -Metro - if ya use public transportation...anywhere in the worls, this tool is great
    -TideTool - Ya fish or go boating ? If yes, enough said
    -TCPMP - movie player
    -TimeManagerPad - Goldilock's Calendar replacement for the Palm...not to complicated, not too simple.
    -TreoAlarm - wake yaself up, download weather, save yiourself from boring meetings by seeting alarm to go off when ya wanna run
    -TrackerDog - checks whether you have latest versions of all ya software
    -VideoJigsaw - makes pouzzles from photos....keeps kids busy
    -Thumbscan - bogus security biometric scanner, scan ya GF at the airport and when she fails tell her it means she on "wanted list".
    -Hal9000 - Puts Hal's eyeball from 2001 spoace oddysey movie on ya screen and periodically says quotes from the movie.
    -VolumeCare - Sprint speaker volumes are 12dB lower than other carrier's, if it bothers ya, this helps.
    -Sharklinks - used with VoiceDial lets you bring up web pages by voice command...handy hwen looking for ferry schedules and the like while driving.

That's not a receommneded list but a cross section of the useful and whacky

Start looking for a BT Headset (+I use the Treo wireless headset w/ Jabra ear gels) and evenbtually ya gonna want a car cradle (I like Seidio w/ Proclip mounts) and GPS w/ TomTom is "da bomb".

I also am quite happy with Real Player but I don't have time to stream audio (nor am I willing to give up battery life) so it's more than I need.

A 2 Gig SD card will handle all of US and Canada's TomTom maps and leave about 700 MB left over
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/14/2006 at 11:10 PM.
    You can go up to 4GB with a custom ROM. You're going to want to get rid of RealPlayer, it's a terrible application. I think VersaMail has presets for Earthlink, so you should be all set. And you know your ISP doesn't block anything right? In fact it's just the opposite, your ISP facilitates traffic into your network, under the assumption that you have adequately protected your network. I would imagine you can only access your E-Mail account three different ways, PLAIN, SSL, and TLS.

7.    #7  
    Hmm lets see there is a Quick install & Documents to go & solitaire & that is far i got with it .

One thing I know for sure is I get a lot better reception then with the cingular

You know why Cingular has the least dropped calls?

Can't drop it if you can't place it!

Well Jack i'll try to decode all that info there soon!

LOL

Thanks for the great info!

SR66
    The best proof that their is intelligent life in outer space is: that they haven't made contact
    Should also be a VoiceDial trial...check extras section maybe ....long tiem ago

As for the call making, it's area specific...in NYC tristate area, Cingular is extremely good. I have a Verizon phone built intot he car vwith a booster but I have to drive 2 mile from my house to get reception. CNG Treo does fine. We has SPrint / nextel's on a job site and while the walkie talkie worked well we couldn't make calls....in fact I went into the store where I bought my 650 to check out the 700p and they stopped selling Sprint branded phones as he can't get a signal at the store, it makes it real hard to sell them....and he's listed according to the map as being in an EVDO area.

Of course ya can go somewhere else and get completely different results.
  9.    #9  
    Where on long Island are you jack/?
    i live in Nassau & Suffolk counties

my mom just moved from Merrick with her verision phone & that thing will drop calls like crazy UGHHH i will smash it if I ever meet it LOL

Now she lives in PS & it dont work worth a ...****
    the cingular was AT&T & it sucked soooooooooooOoooOoOooOOO bad at least i can use the TREO in the house with out having to hold a pose!!!

Well i was looking into trying to put some MP3s on my phone but I don't have a clue never done it don't know anyone who dose either
    I don't think the real player converts them from file to MP3

I'm am on low budget here I'm disabled for 7 years now with no income at all no more savings i was trying to find something to do on the net but here again I'm clueless '
    every time i find something i find its a scam

well i bored y'all long enuf...OVA HEA!

Thanks

SR66
    The best proof that their is intelligent life in outer space is: that they haven't made contact
    i live in Nassau & Suffolk counties
    Two counties at once....yikers, would hate to pay your property taxes

I am out on eastern Long Island....by the farmers, jailbirds (Martha Stewart) and dead people (Calverton)
  11.    #11  
    NO NO i lived in Merrick ,North Merrick, Blue Point & Patchough{never could spell that one}
    when I live in patchough I worked in Freeport
    Sunrise HWY to Robert Moses to Ocean Parkway to Meadowbrook Pkwy 6 days a week for years!

TOO COLD!!

Long trip out there where all them potato farmers are senic though most of the "city geeks" stop at the hamptons

SR66
    Looks like (like me ) you been kicked outta ,most parts of LI ... where you now ?
  13.    #13  
    It didn't take me long to become "kicked out

It took 6 years to get out!!LOL
    {The last 2 years I stayed to help my father after he had a embolism in his brain.}

Man I never had so much trouble with Johnny Law & driving I guess they don't like it if you ain't driving something new of course a old beat up muscle car ..a red one at that is almost faster than a speeding ticket LOL

I left in ...? 94 .
    16 major snow storms in 15 weeks.

The Plow truck driver & I

HOO BOY good thing they don't let ya carry a side arm up there!!

I'm not kidding just about done digging the damn thing out & 2 hours of work slammed up against the car! worse than when I started.

Well it may be melting here but I know I'm not shoveling snow

I'm in Central Florida right in between Gainesville, Daytona Orlando & Crystal River.

How Far are you from Riverhead? I use to love going to the races out there

SR66
    Pretty close....I maybe 4 -5 miles west.....had a friend who kept bugging me to race there when our hidden track in nassau disappeared (old police training course)
  15.    #15  
    AHH the old Freeport race way???

I watched them tear that down & put in the shooting range & a target or something stoopid like that.
    I work for a few years across the parking lot @ Freeport Auto Parts.

AGAIN way too cold

SR66