1.    #1  
    I am wondering if the P and W share the came cell radio as well as the same bluetooth radio.

I own the P and it clearly does not have the same radio's as the 650 as both function WAY better for me than the 650 ever did.

I am wondering if the W shares that of the P, the 650, or a different one all together.

I would like to use slingplayer so I am thinking of switching to a W, but phone quality comes first and I will not sacrifice it for Sling.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I have no exact details to support this, but from common sense the only difference between the 700w and 700p I see is the OS. Hardware-wise they're the same beast. That includes the radio and everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15
    I have no exact details to support this, but from common sense the only difference between the 700w and 700p I see is the OS. Hardware-wise they're the same beast. That includes the radio and everything else.
    and the screen (240x240=W) vs (320x320=P)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It's the same as with big computer LCDs. Usually they have a max resolution but is up to the OS and user to set it to whatever they like. In this case, the Treo has a screen that can handle up to 320x320

The OS is the big difference. Windows mobile does not support more than 320x240 pixels, so they configured it for max 240x240. PalmOS takes full advantage of the screen and thus the 320x320.
    WinMob supports 480x480 and VGA I believe, Palm just didn't want to use those resolutions because it'd be too expensive.
  6.    #6  
    I am aware of the screen difference, my concern is the phone and bluetooth radio's.

From the outside it would look as if the 650 700w and 700p are ALL the same hardware minus the screens and the 650 havig bluetooth 1.1 and less memory.

I can tell you for certain the 650 and 700p are NOT the same cell radio's as the 700p has FAR FAR better reception than any cdma 650 I have ever seen.

So my question remains, does the 700w have the same radio as the 650, or the same as the 700p, or a different one all together.

As a side note has anyone used a 650 CDMA or a 700p CDMA as well as a 700w? If so how did call quality compare? Bluetooth?

Bluetooth on my 2 650's was an absolute joke. 4-5 feet at best with two different headsets. The same headsets each go about 15-20 feet with my 700p
    Well the 650 has several different radios. CDMA Sprint, GSM and, i was told, the later Sprints and Verizon models are slightly different than the 1st Sprint model. As I detailed in another thread, my BT headset was annoying the hell out of me on a job site cause the BT headset in my car kept picking up while I was trying to use the 650's handset. I was 96 feet from the car and the headset was inside a plastic and metal case inside the metal car. I routinely carry on conversations with Treo inside vehicle and I am outside gassing up and paying clerk at gas station.....no problem at all going 30 feet

The GSM, Sprint and Verizon 650's are also different animals as for example, the Verizon handset is 12 dB louder than the Sprint. Logic dictates that with Verizon's serving as the beta tester this time, I expect, if anything, that the 700p will have some minor hardware improvements over the 700w
    I had the 700w and now the 700p: both with Verizon. I definitely find the reception better on the 700p and show at least one bar better in low signal areas than what I had with the 700w
  9.    #9  
    I am sorry to hear this, but I did expect this was the case. The 700p has really surprised me with the excellent reception it gets. If Sling would just make a PalmOS player this decision would be so much easier!!

Thank you very much for the info. Have you happened to use a 650? If so was the W superior to the 650?

I appreciate all the responses thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    I am sorry to hear this, but I did expect this was the case. The 700p has really surprised me with the excellent reception it gets. If Sling would just make a PalmOS player this decision would be so much easier!!

Thank you very much for the info. Have you happened to use a 650? If so was the W superior to the 650?

I appreciate all the responses thus far.
    I've had the 300/600/650/700w/700p. The only thing the 700w had going for it was EVDO. The marriage of WM5 and the Treo was a Frankenstein concept. Additionally, there are no good email clients in the WM5 arena like Chatter and Snapper in Palm. The 650's integration with one hand operation via the five way is far superior than on the 700w.