Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    all of a sudden, my ContactsDB file is huge - the biggest on my treo now - at 3.3 mb. I don't remember it being this large until I recently re-installed the Palm desktop software on my PC.

I have somewhere close to 1000 contacts in there, but not much more than name, 1 address, 2-3 phone #'s, company, title & email for each contact.

Anyone know why/how this file got so big & how to cut it down - I'm down to 2 1/2 MB of free space & that's after deleting a lot of non-essential apps & storing a bunch on the card using powerrun!

Thnks!
  2.    #2  
    wow... no ideas???
    Do you use Directory Assistance (DA) from Rick Whitt (great program, btw)?
  4.    #4  
    yes - does that have something to do with the size?
    Maybe (although my db never got as large as yours).

I had noticed when scrolling through contacts the highlight bar would pause on certain contacts even though I was continuing to hold down the d-pad down key. I used Filez to open and examine the contactsdb. Most records in the db were at most a few hundred bytes long. Records with picture ID were of course larger. But some records were inexplicably huge (no pic ID or excessive notes or anything), 30 to 80k. Every one of these huge records corresponded with a contact where the highlight bar would "stutter" or pause as I scrolled thru the contacts list. Turns out every one of these entries were ones I had added via DA. Was even able to duplicate it.

Rick was already aware of the problem and had been working on a fix. I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly the new version (3.24 I think) corrects the issue.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter
    I used Filez to open and examine the contactsdb. Most records in the db were at most a few hundred bytes long.
    Wow... I didn't know you could use FileZ to check out individual records!

Tap the file of interest (ContactsDB-PAdd in this case), then Menu-->Edit.

Thanks for that tip

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
  7.    #7  
    it's now up to 3.7 - no pic ID's & the list doesn't hang anywhere...

really wierd - I'm gonna install the newest version of DA & hopefully that will help. in the meantime, I'll prob go thru & try to clean out contacts I don't need anymore & see if it helps at all.

you guys know of any way to limit what fields get synced from outlook?
    Anytime (though good tips from me are few and far between), ERic.

For OP, d/l'ing new version would only help with new contact additions.

I know it's tedious using Filez to check hundreds or thousands of records. To help me spot the bad entries I used a raw file viewer (old DOS progs I've got) on a PC to check out the file. My db had the records sorted the same way as they display in the contacts app, so it was easy to use the viewer on the PC to find where the extraneous bytes were, then use Filez to verify the bad records. Once I verified which records were bad I just used the Contacts app itself, opened each bad rec one at a time and deleted it (you'll have to write down or somehow keep track of the info for each - Contacts wouldn't let me duplicate the recs - somthing about not enough mem on the hh, even though there was).

All in all, took about a half hour to do (after realizing what the problem was), and I ended up with a db less than a 1/10th the size of original.
    so what is a normal/average size for the contactsDB?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    so what is a normal/average size for the contactsDB?
    For me:
    AddressDB - 453 Records - 30 KB.
    ContactsDB-PAdd - 454 Records - 160 KB

Got a handful of contacts with Pictures.

ERic
    Samsung SCH-8500 & Palm m515 --> Treo600 --> Treo650 --> Treo700p --> Epic4G (all on Sprint)
    wow... I am 120 records and 216k.. I have a lot with pictures. hmmm mine seems large.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
  12.    #12  
    I checked my backup folder & the contactsDB file there was only 153k & had the date/time stamp from the most recent hotsync - really odd!

so I dumped the one on my handheld & re-synced the one from backup - seems like every contact I had is still there I think...
    sblanter,

How do I match up the record # in FileZ with a specific Contact entry?

I've got 2800 entries to search through for bad records. Can you point me to the DOS file viewer that you used to search through your file?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    sblanter,

How do I match up the record # in FileZ with a specific Contact entry?

I've got 2800 entries to search through for bad records. Can you point me to the DOS file viewer that you used to search through your file?

Thanks,
    Tim
    I'd like to see this info too...
    Assuming a bloated Contacts file on the OP's Treo, would another solution be to delete the "Contacts" file on the Treo using FileZ (or just the normal delete function on the Treo), then do a HotSync with "desktop overwrites handheld" in order to get a new, clean, tiny contact database into the Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post
    Assuming a bloated Contacts file on the OP's Treo, would another solution be to delete the "Contacts" file on the Treo using FileZ (or just the normal delete function on the Treo), then do a HotSync with "desktop overwrites handheld" in order to get a new, clean, tiny contact database into the Treo?
    I tried this...here's what happened...I also deleted addressdb (what is this anyway?)

Prior to delete and hotsync:
    ContactsDB-PAdd 175kb / 581 records
    AddressDB 53kb / 581 records

After delete (with filez) and hotsync:
    ContactsDB-PAdd 171kb / 581 records
    AddressDB 2.5kb / 0 records

The above info is what filez indicated for size and record count. It appears on the Treo that all my contacts are back. So, my question is...what was addressDB? And...should I restore my addressDB that I deleted (from NVBackup)?

NOTE: After poking around in my contacts...the addressDB file now shows 34kb / 581 records
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post
    I tried this...here's what happened...I also deleted addressdb (what is this anyway?)

It appears on the Treo that all my contacts are back. So, my question is...what was addressDB? And...should I restore my addressDB that I deleted (from NVBackup)?
    Yeah, what is that AddressDB file that went from 53kb to 2.5kb? That's pretty good size reduction. OTOH, I don't have that file, but I do have:

Contacts (774K)
    ContactsLib-P1CT (65K)
    ContactsSimDB-PAdd (5K)

<off topic>

Holy cr*p. 1.5M of email on my Treo. Time to clean house. Also Calendar (918K) and CalendarLib-P1CL (72K). Must shrink that.

</off topic>
    AddressDB is a duplicate database made as a copy of the ContactsDB. I think, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, it is used by programs that were written for previous versions of PalmOS and are only made when a program calls for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers View Post

The "bloat" infects the Desktop database as well. So unless you catch it before you infect the desktop database file, Syncing won't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by abe frohman View Post

The above info is what filez indicated for size and record count. It appears on the Treo that all my contacts are back. So, my question is...what was addressDB? And...should I restore my addressDB that I deleted (from NVBackup)?

NOTE: After poking around in my contacts...the addressDB file now shows 34kb / 581 records
    I was just looking again at these to db's using filez...I don't get this:

ContactsDB-PAdd 350kb / 581 records
    AddressDB 34kb / 581 records

Same # of records as above and double the size as yesterday. I have not added pictire ID to any contacts...

Who has a clue?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast