Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 192
  1.    #1  
    http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad...ted_cultu.html

    I like the current culture at Palm, Inc. It is transparent, cooperative and listens to its customer-base.

    Does this mean that they get everything right? Nope...as with every company on earth, their landscape is littered with goofs, gaffes and faux pas galore. Then, what makes this incarnation of Palm, Inc. different then its recent forebears? Simple: they are willing to address issues with their products.

    Don't think so?

    Then, remember the SD cards that went out to first-wave Treo 650 owners...followed by 2 major firmware updates that turned it from a 'might-have-been' device, into the market champ.
    Article goes on to address docking and P-Tunes issues being worked on
  2. #2  
    I'm still thinking of 'w' next time, so I'm not so roped in.
    Just call me Berd.
  3. #3  
    Well, I read both the article and the referenced page on Palm's site and the both seem pretty worthless to me. While the audio dock issue is explained they addressed the pTunes issue with "we are looking at it" "check your files" and "it happens during processor intinsive applications."

    No explaination why it happens even when a 700p is hard reset with nothing else running. Or why this almost never happens on a 650.

    Plus where is the explaination or even acknowledgement of the overall speed issues or Bluetooth problems. How long was the delay before the first 650 update? I was really hoping for something pretty soon for the 700.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I'm still thinking of 'w' next time, so I'm not so roped in.
    How is the "w" less roped in? You'd still be dependend on Palm for any OS or firmware updates. Even if MS updates the OS, you'd have to wait for Palm to apply the updates to the Treo's heavily customized version. And MS isn't exactly known for the frequency of their OS updates.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5. #5  
    ocket Tunes (pTunes) becomes choppy, stutters, or skips on a Treo 700p smartphone

    When you're using the Pocket Tunes (pTunes) application on your Treop 700p smartphone, you may notice that the audio playback has breaks, sputters, skips or other issues on certain occasions.

    This can happen during some processor-intensive activities, such as switching between applications, synchronizing email, or downloading files.

    Once the activity is finished (usually a second or two), audio playback should return to normal.

    Another suggestion
    If you're still having problems with audio playback, make sure the issue is not with the audio file itself: play the file on your desktop PC and see if it skips or stutters in the same place.
    UGH... doesn't sound like they're working on fixing it.......
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    How is the "w" less roped in? You'd still be dependend on Palm for any OS or firmware updates. Even if MS updates the OS, you'd have to wait for Palm to apply the updates to the Treo's heavily customized version. And MS isn't exactly known for the frequency of their OS updates.
    I wasn't saying as far as updates and resolved issues being addressed.
    I was thinking that there was a larger Windows selection of pda/phones.
    And that would give me more options, rather than waiting on Palm.
    I could be way off base, and would appreciate any input.
    Just call me Berd.
  7. #7  
    sounds pretty vague, is that the only info for what they are working on? Are they working on the mysterious bt disconnects, how about making it not suck all the battery juice from my bt headset? I'd rather have it disconnect after every call, then I'd know I would have to hit the button on the bt Headset... Maybe implementing it like it was on the 650?
  8. #8  
    There are lots of issues that they need to address. To summarize:
    -SD Card Not mounting after a reset
    -BT disconnecting at random times.
    -PTunes jumpy
    -Treo overall speed slower than any previous Treos
    -Screen lines showing up at power up and other times.
    -Screen not usable outdoors
    -Blazer crashing a lot and slow at times

    Al
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    There are lots of issues that they need to address. To summarize:
    -SD Card Not mounting after a reset
    -BT disconnecting at random times.
    -PTunes jumpy
    -Treo overall speed slower than any previous Treos
    -Screen lines showing up at power up and other times.
    -Screen not usable outdoors
    -Blazer crashing a lot and slow at times

    Al
    Battery Battery Battery
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    Well, I read both the article and the referenced page on Palm's site and the both seem pretty worthless to me. While the audio dock issue is explained they addressed the pTunes issue with "we are looking at it" "check your files" and "it happens during processor intinsive applications."

    No explaination why it happens even when a 700p is hard reset with nothing else running. Or why this almost never happens on a 650.

    Plus where is the explaination or even acknowledgement of the overall speed issues or Bluetooth problems. How long was the delay before the first 650 update? I was really hoping for something pretty soon for the 700.
    The reason for lots of the problems is the bug in the database access speeds as discussed here: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1046509

    It's a very real problem that's been confirmed by third-party developers.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I wasn't saying as far as updates and resolved issues being addressed.
    I was thinking that there was a larger Windows selection of PDA/phones.
    And that would give me more options, rather than waiting on Palm.
    I could be way off base, and would appreciate any input.
    You cant argue with the choice on the Win Mob platform. Look at this picture from GPSPassion for example.

    http://www.pbase.com/gpspassion/imag...4/original.jpg

    Here, for a relatively specialized niche (PDA phones with GPS) you have 4 contenders (HP hw6915, FSC Loox T830, Mitac Mio A701, Eten G500).

    If you want a PDA phone with the biggest storage, that would be the Samsung i300, with 8 GB storage, if you want a PDA Phone with a 4 Megapixel camera, that would be the QDA Icon. There are two Win Mob phones with TV built in (one analog, one digital). There are two with FM radios ( Eten G500 and O2 XDA Atom) There are three phone devices with VGA screens (the XDA Exec, the Sharp Willcom W-Zero and W-Zero es), there are now 4 designs with sliding keyboards (HTC Wizard, Tytn, W-Zero x2, Samsung i730) . There are 5 devices with 3G radios (XDA Exec, HTC Tytn, HTC breeze, Treo 700w,PPC 6700). There are 6 devices with exposed keyboards (Treo 700w, HP 6515 and 6915, FSC Loox T830, Motorola Q, Samsung SGH-320). The two thinnest QWERTY smartphones are Windows Mobile (Motor Q and Samsung i320).

    I could go on for a while more. There is no doubt you would be trading one set of problems for another, but one can not argue with the choice available.

    Surur
  12. #12  
    Screen not usable outdoors? I was just noticing the other day how I can shut off the backlight on a bright day and still see the screen perfectly. Try that on my old Moto e815 and I'd see absolutely nothing. So what is this all about then? The 700p's screen is quite usable outdoors.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You cant argue with the choice on the Win Mob platform. Look at this picture from GPSPassion for example.

    http://www.pbase.com/gpspassion/imag...4/original.jpg

    Here, for a relatively specialized niche (PDA phones with GPS) you have 4 contenders (HP hw6915, FSC Loox T830, Mitac Mio A701, Eten G500).

    If you want a PDA phone with the biggest storage, that would be the Samsung i300, with 8 GB storage, if you want a PDA Phone with a 4 Megapixel camera, that would be the QDA Icon. There are two Win Mob phones with TV built in (one analog, one digital). There are two with FM radios ( Eten G500 and O2 XDA Atom) There are three phone devices with VGA screens (the XDA Exec, the Sharp Willcom W-Zero and W-Zero es), there are now 4 designs with sliding keyboards (HTC Wizard, Tytn, W-Zero x2, Samsung i730) . There are 5 devices with 3G radios (XDA Exec, HTC Tytn, HTC breeze, Treo 700w,PPC 6700). There are 6 devices with exposed keyboards (Treo 700w, HP 6515 and 6915, FSC Loox T830, Motorola Q, Samsung SGH-320). The two thinnest QWERTY smartphones are Windows Mobile (Motor Q and Samsung i320).

    I could go on for a while more. There is no doubt you would be trading one set of problems for another, but one can not argue with the choice available.

    Surur
    Thanks,
    That is exactly what I was getting at.
    As of now, there isn't as many PDA/Phone options with Palm OS.
    I love the Treo, and that's why I will prolly stay with Treo, but it will most likely be a 'w' so if something better other than the Treo comes along I'm not stuck.
    Just call me Berd.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    Screen not usable outdoors? I was just noticing the other day how I can shut off the backlight on a bright day and still see the screen perfectly. Try that on my old Moto e815 and I'd see absolutely nothing. So what is this all about then? The 700p's screen is quite usable outdoors.
    If you stand outdoors during bright day you will see a dark screen with lots of lines making the Treo very hard on the eye. My 650 never did that.

    Al
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    Screen not usable outdoors? I was just noticing the other day how I can shut off the backlight on a bright day and still see the screen perfectly. Try that on my old Moto e815 and I'd see absolutely nothing. So what is this all about then? The 700p's screen is quite usable outdoors.
    That's exactly what I was going to say. When I first read "not usable outdoors" I thought.... "Are we talking about the same device?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    If you stand outdoors during bright day you will see a dark screen with lots of lines making the Treo very hard on the eye. My 650 never did that.

    Al
    I live in Phoenix, Arizona.. at high noon, on a bright day (which is practically every day), with the sun directly overhead or anywhere... I can see my 700p's screen perfectly without any issues what so ever. Are you sure you havn't left your device in direct sunlight and/or in very hot hot area's.. such as in a closed up car on a hot summer day? (which would cause the LCD screen to turn "black" as you stated)...
    Joshua Miller
    jemiller@jem.phoenix.az.us
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    You cant argue with the choice on the Win Mob platform. Look at this picture from GPSPassion for example.

    http://www.pbase.com/gpspassion/imag...4/original.jpg

    AAAAAGHHH!!! There should be a law about driving while using a Windows device.

    Hope this guy doesn't drive behind ME!
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    UGH... doesn't sound like they're working on fixing it.......
    I thot it was pretty clear that they posted those instructions in the interim while they develop a solution. The news isn't that they haven't fixed it yet.....the news is that the know about and are clearly working on a solution.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    If you want a PDA phone with the biggest storage, that would be the Samsung i300, with 8 GB storage, if you want a PDA Phone with a 4 Megapixel camera, that would be the QDA Icon. There are two Win Mob phones with TV built in (one analog, one digital). There are two with FM radios ( Eten G500 and O2 XDA Atom) There are three phone devices with VGA screens (the XDA Exec, the Sharp Willcom W-Zero and W-Zero es), there are now 4 designs with sliding keyboards (HTC Wizard, Tytn, W-Zero x2, Samsung i730) . There are 5 devices with 3G radios (XDA Exec, HTC Tytn, HTC breeze, Treo 700w,PPC 6700). There are 6 devices with exposed keyboards (Treo 700w, HP 6515 and 6915, FSC Loox T830, Motorola Q, Samsung SGH-320). The two thinnest QWERTY smartphones are Windows Mobile (Motor Q and Samsung i320).
    Now you did it......now there's be a whole series of posts on stoopid Palm and why can't they put out ONE device w/ 8 GB, 4 MP, TV, FM, WiFi, VGA touch screen, no slide out keyboard, 3G, thinner than the Razr, built in GPS, credit card swipe, thermal printer....

    All kiddinga side, choice is wonderful.....even if I have no interest in any of the other choices, it drives prices down and spurs competition.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Now you did it......now there's be a whole series of posts on stoopid Palm and why can't they put out ONE device w/ 8 GB, 4 MP, TV, FM, WiFi, VGA touch screen, no slide out keyboard, 3G, thinner than the Razr, built in GPS, credit card swipe, thermal printer....
    Thats part of the problem. Palm does so few devices, that they do not provide the variety of features people are interested in. The need for ONE device would be alleviated if Palm provided a choice of features, like on their handheld PDA line.

    Surur
  20. amell's Avatar
    Posts
    205 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #20  
    I am 600 user and "sat out" the 650, waiting for the 700p, and now I am waiting for the early issues to be resolved, but it is sounding discouraging, and I am thinking of just getting a 650...
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions