Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
  1. pmb
    I had the 650 when it first came out and got used to it. When Sprint put out the 6700 I jumped on it for the EV-DO. I drive a truck in the north west part of the US and it's nice to not have to wait around for long web page hook up times. I thought the WM on the 6700 was cumbersome and redundant. The form factor came no where near the Treo. I'm not in a position to worry about price or contract windows so if a new idea hits the market and it looks good, I go for it. I could'nt wait for the 700p and I'm not all that dis-satisfied although I'm not quite the pwoer user some of the folks are here. Give ole Palm some time here....I think they'll come around like they did with the 650....at least I hope so. I had several 650's through Sprints warranty program and by the time of the third one I learned to hold off on stuffing the device with the third party goodies UNTIL Palm came out with some ROM revisions. Gon'a do the same with the 700p. And....yes... I'm having the same minor problems the rest of you people are but I think to a lesser degree.
    Some great comments and insights in this thread.
    Thanks all.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    It's kinda ironic that such a "superior" OS is getting put out to pasture...
    Quote Originally Posted by znamezsame
    Amen brother. The 650 was picky, and the 700p is pickier. I tried 3 different headsets until I found one that worked great on the 650 (overpowered 590A), then of course it's not supported by 700p. Supported? This term should not be able to be used in this context. If two things comply to the same standard, then they are compatible. The 700p does not actually have Bluetooth, it has "PALM Bluetooth". Vendors are going to have to start selling headsets that conform both to Bluetooth, and "PALM Bluetooth 650" or "PALM Bluetooth 700".
    True. However, PALM Bluetooth 650/700 is 10x better than Samsung BT on SPH-A900 and A920. My dad can't even pair his with his Acura MDX. So while things are not great, they could be much worse.
    Lots of debate here. And yeah, I'm a little worried about the future of the Palm OS, because I'm not convinced that Palm has a good roadmap planned out. That said, I won't switch to WM for a good long while, because i do agree with a lot of what's said about how bad the interface is. It's not really great for mobile devices (one hand operation counts for a lot). I also haven't seen (although I haven't looked much) any WM phones that have customized launcher interfaces -- I haven't seen any WM equivalent of Zlauncher/Xlauncher, etc.

More importantly, though, the things that I need my Treo for are not well represented on WM. Is there a WM calendar app that comes close to Db6? Is there an outliner/task manager with desktop component that comes anywhere near Bonsai? Without those two things, there is no bloody way I would switch to a WM5 device. Oh yeah, and a WM5 device would have to have at least 320x320 in the same size form factor or smaller -- I use the smallest fonts available to get more data onscreen, and I am not taking the step backwards to 240^2.
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    Not ironic. It only speaks to how crappy WM5 is. Palm is improving their product while WM5 is withering.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Not ironic. It only speaks to how crappy WM5 is. Palm is improving their product while WM5 is withering.
    LOL - I guess if you call dumping their entire operating system for something else is improving their product, then yeah, okay.
    PalmOS is the past, not the future. The sooner everyone accepts this the better.

Windows Mobile is an awesome platform, gaining wide acceptance, and getting better every day. It's far more flexible, has greater functionality, is a modern OS whereas PalmOS is not. Windows MObile has tremendous momentum moving forward.

Palm is where Apple was about 5 years ago with OS 9. It just couldn't compete with Windows. Fortunately, MacOS X beats the shingles off Windows in terms of its architecture, and I'm hoping Palm is wise and adopts the same strategy of leapfrogging its competitors. If it doesn't, it's dead in the water.

I have a 700p, but my first choice was the 700w because it's WM5 was far more elegant and usable -- it just made more sense to me. However, I SETTLED for the 700p because for the sake of Mac compatibility. PalmOS was good in its day, but that was ages ago. It's time to get with the program.

The fact that PalmOS has to stop everything it's doing to regain a lost signal or log onto the internet tells me everything I need to know about its inner workings. We don't need a cooperatively multitasking OS that is held hostage when one program refuses to behave. Give me something modern any day.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    However, I SETTLED for the 700p because for the sake of Mac compatibility.
    Uh oh......I read somewhere that Missing Sync just added WM5 support in the last week or so:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php
    Last edited by dcpmark; 07/25/2006 at 07:27 PM.
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trager
    Lots of debate here. And yeah, I'm a little worried about the future of the Palm OS, because I'm not convinced that Palm has a good roadmap planned out. That said, I won't switch to WM for a good long while, because i do agree with a lot of what's said about how bad the interface is. It's not really great for mobile devices (one hand operation counts for a lot). I also haven't seen (although I haven't looked much) any WM phones that have customized launcher interfaces
    POS is just fine for today's usage and if WM5 could touch it we wouldn't see every single Mag review spouting that "the 700w is the best WM% devcie out tehre but it pales next to the 650"....the 700p s still the one following in the 650's footsteps garnering all the Editor's Choice awards.

WM5's so called advantages talk about felxibility, architecture, modern.....and purposely leave out the "what can you do's"....after months of debate, so far we came up with the 700w can use a SD WiFi card....that's it. For that I gotta give up 50% of my screen real estate, one handed functionality, greater program selections, snappier performance and all the other reasons it keeps getting selected as Editor's Choice.

But again, that's TODAY.

-It won't take much longer for MS to mimick much of Palm's useability.
    -It won't take much longer before hardware costs drop such that the hardware necessary for WM5 to function better will fit in the ,masket's price point. Unfortunately WM6 will be out by then and will double the resource requirments .
    -Geeks and efficiency hounds buy POS Treos; Most gadget buyers tho are impressed by and pourchase based upon the OOBE and productivity is a distant 2nd or 3rd. As prices drop, these people compose more and more of the Treo market.
    -Right now MS lags behind Linux in the OS market; IIRC Linux has about 23 % to MS's 17% at the end of 2005. If Palm lets MS eat up more and more of that before it has it's own Linux option, they are gonna have trouble maintaining a two OS option.
  10.    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by richpjr
    What are we talking about ?

POS5.x being replaced by ALP or POS7.x ?
    WM6 replacing WM5 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    PalmOS is the past, not the future. The sooner everyone accepts this the better.

Windows Mobile is an awesome platform, gaining wide acceptance, and getting better every day. It's far more flexible, has greater functionality, is a modern OS whereas PalmOS is not. Windows MObile has tremendous momentum moving forward.

<snip>

I have a 700p, but my first choice was the 700w because it's WM5 was far more elegant and usable -- it just made more sense to me.
    On the "awesome platform" statement: The "platform" means squat at this point. Usability is key and that's something that WM can't touch PalmOS on where smartphones are concerned. "More elegant"- sure, the OS might appear to be more stylish in nature, but that doesn't mean it *works* well. More "usable"? Please tell me that you are kidding. Not on a smartphone / pda phone. That said, if we were talking strictly about PDAs where you'd have a stylus in your hand all the time, I'd be OK with WM. That's one reason my wife got rid of her 700w. After using a Blackberry for several months, it was simply too difficult to *use* the 700w as a smartphone. She always found herself needing to use both hands to do tasks that are easily accomplished on PalmOS with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzznug
    On the "awesome platform" statement: The "platform" means squat at this point. Usability is key and that's something that WM can't touch PalmOS on where smartphones are concerned. "More elegant"- sure, the OS might appear to be more stylish in nature, but that doesn't mean it *works* well. More "usable"? Please tell me that you are kidding. Not on a smartphone / pda phone. That said, if we were talking strictly about PDAs where you'd have a stylus in your hand all the time, I'd be OK with WM. That's one reason my wife got rid of her 700w. After using a Blackberry for several months, it was simply too difficult to *use* the 700w as a smartphone. She always found herself needing to use both hands to do tasks that are easily accomplished on PalmOS with one.
    Well said. Add in the incredibly slow boot times, slow load times, horrible battery life, horrible one-handed usage, ****-poor screen resolutions and the like and it's easy to see why PalmOS is still superior to WM5 in smartphone applications.

I'm sure that WM5 (or whatever the next one will be called) will get better and Palm is obviously trying to provide even more power by moving to a Linux based OS. So for today, PalmOS kills WM5. We'll see about the future.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is tethered mode? I am having issue with my bluetooth on the 700p just randomly disconnecting. Do you have this issue?
    So for today, PalmOS kills WM5. We'll see about the future.
    In the last 3 months, more than 1.8 million people disagreed.

http://surur.sytes.net/nosymbian.png

Surur
    I guess that we can make up whatever falsified graphs that we want to support our opinions. Sorry surur, no one's falling for that. Good job at dodging all of the facts though.
    Where in the world are you getting those numbers? Symbian has far and away the largest market share in the mobile OS. Your 'graph' lends credence to the statement "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    What are we talking about ?

POS5.x being replaced by ALP or POS7.x ?
    WM6 replacing WM5 ?
    He's saying, if POS is much better than WM5, then why is POS being dumped for ALP?
    I guess that we can make up whatever falsified graphs that we want to support our opinions. Sorry surur, no one's falling for that. Good job at dodging all of the facts though.
    a) those are Canalys numbers
    b) Do you see Symbian in the key? Are we discussing Symbian here? Why should I include Symbian in the graph then? Are you saying I am misrepresenting Symbian by not including them? In another thread I do have a graph with Symbian in it.
    c) All of those things you mention have been discussed to death already. The simple fact is that you are confusing the devices with the OS, and the OS is clearly doing very well.

2000 Man, dont tell me you are still one of those who think POS sells more than WM. Thats just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodguy
    Where in the world are you getting those numbers? Symbian has far and away the largest market share in the mobile OS. Your 'graph' lends credence to the statement "There are lies, damn lies and statistics"
    Is there anything factually wrong in saying in the last quarter more than 1.8 million more people who could have chosen Palm have chosen Windows Mobile?

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 07/27/2006 at 03:28 PM.
    Surur, what's you agenda? You've been posting between 3-8 Palm bashing posts per day for the past few months.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/se...archid=5176194

Also please provide a link to the Canalys report. It is a bit misleading to imply that PalmOS Treo sales are falling, when they have been growing exponentially. Especially in the Enterprise space.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/27/2006 at 10:55 PM.
    http://www.canalys.com/pr/2006/r2006071.htm

There you go.

I am just a WM fan, and would have been a fan of the Palm Treo 700w if they did not cripple it with half the memory it needs.

Surur
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast