Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by znamezsame
    Amen brother. The 650 was picky, and the 700p is pickier. I tried 3 different headsets until I found one that worked great on the 650 (overpowered 590A), then of course it's not supported by 700p. Supported? This term should not be able to be used in this context. If two things comply to the same standard, then they are compatible. The 700p does not actually have Bluetooth, it has "PALM Bluetooth". Vendors are going to have to start selling headsets that conform both to Bluetooth, and "PALM Bluetooth 650" or "PALM Bluetooth 700".
    While I do agree with you in principle, I have to disagree in practice. Given all of the screwed up bluetooth devices I've seen in the past (and mind you I've seen quite a few) I personally feel that some of the blame for these issues rests with the standard itself.

I defy anyone here on these boards to name a Bluetooth phone and headset pair that never ever had any static, connect/disconnect, or other wierd issues (it would have to be something that others would also vouch for and agree with, in other words we would need a concensus). I'll admit I'm partially curious myself just to see if such a devices actually exist. I've seen devices that come close, but never a device that has been perfect. Actually what would be even more rare and unlikely is a bluetooth device that can work flawlessly with any other device it is used with. The term "standard" seems to only apply loosely to Bluetooth.
    i said with the w i have got over 700k with the p my highest was 200k
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    i said with the w i have got over 700k with the p my highest was 200k
    Try doing a large download and timing it. Dslreports et al. do not seem to be accurate on the 700p. Doing side-by-side comparisons on a 5 meg file, my 700p out performed, or was even with, a 6700. Both on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I thot it was pretty clear that they posted those instructions in the interim while they develop a solution. The news isn't that they haven't fixed it yet.....the news is that the know about and are clearly working on a solution.
    No where did they officially say they're working on it =/
    If this does not scream "BREAK INTO MY CAR!!!" I don't know what does...
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.
    And you have some sales figures to support what we "can clearly see?" If not, then be quiet until you learn the difference between fact and guess. I can't find the figures now, but the last report I saw had even the 650 outselling the 700w (before the 700P was released) during the time when both were available.

Guess not everyone thinks the Palm OS is outdated, eh? (And note that "Palm" should be capitalized, and "outdated" is one word.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I am sure you cheap skates will go get 99.99 T650 over a 300.00 T700w anyday. Why is that? To save money but you end up in the long run getting screwed with the outdated os. Then when you want to trade up to the 700w now you have to pay full price. The T650 is like quickie mart gas and the 700w is chevron gas. You get what u pay for.Quality.
    I am sure you cheap skates will go get 99.99 T650 over a 300.00 T700w anyday. Why is that? To save money but you end up in the long run getting screwed with the outdated os. Then when you want to trade up to the 700w now you have to pay full price. The T650 is like quickie mart gas and the 700w is chevron gas. You get what u pay for.Quality.
    Dude Cool your Jets man....easy ...take a deep breath, its going to be alright.Yikes!!!
    Wish I could get a 700w but unfortunately Sprint doesn't carry it. If I can't get the battery issue resolved I will be going back to my 650 though.

Josh
  10.    #50  
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.

where do you pull these statements from ? Are you not aware that this stuff has been published and can be easily refuted ?

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118582
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=119082

700w sales represented < 20% of Treo sales in a quarter when the choices were 18 month old 650 or 700w.....since the 700p was released the 700w has been very slow "off the floor".

Ever read a 700w review in a trade mag ? "Best WM5 smartphone ever, but pales next to the Treo 650" is the most common statement. How many published trade magazine reviews can you point me to where the author picks the 700w over the 700p...or even the 650 ?

I also have to guess you haven't followed the many threads on EVDO speeds on the forum

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=110569
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/19/2006 at 11:32 AM.
  11.    #51  
    Ever been to a gas terminal ? I did a forensic engineering investigation some years back after a fire at the truck filling station where the driver was killed. While there, I watched Mobil, Chevron, Hess, etc trucks all pull up to the same pump, fill their trucks and head off to their respective stations. This terminal had one separate filling station for Amoco which has some additives.

Kinda like PC's....lots of brand names and peeps arguing about which is best but all HD's come from only 3 places, CPU's from 2 places.....
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 07/19/2006 at 11:34 AM.
    Thus guy is an embarrassment to people who really know Windows Mobile. He's all talk and no substance. Can the mods have a talk with him please?

Surur
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I saw that and was a bbit confused.....Talk about coming late to the party

Those were march 31 and June 30 announcements ... maybe the blogger was on vacation.
    Personally, I much prefer PalmOS to Windows Mobile but if you look past the rhetoric I believe cccablecompany and others have a point. If the Palm Treo continues to be the only PalmOS smartphone you can buy and Palm (and Access) continues to ship buggy products with little innovation or support for new and more modern features then it doesn't matter how much more intuitive or easier to use PalmOS is than WM5. At some point people will get fed up with hoping that the Palm Treo will catch up with the features of Windows Mobile devices and just switch because they need to get work done.

At this point I am not ready to switch away from the Palm Treo myself because I still have hope. However, I'm starting to think that I trust Microsoft more than Palm (and Access) to improve the OS and to add the features and interoperability that I want both today and especially tomorrow. At this point I accept the terrible bluetooth support, no voice dialing, no wifi, awful battery life, no multitasking and the many other problems of the 700p but if that list gets much longer I will have to switch just to be able to get work done despite my preference for the PalmOS.

At this point PalmOS is easier to use and simpler than WM but is in every way technically inferior so why would you not expect it to lose eventually? About the best thing we can hope for is that Palm very quickly transitions to a Linux-based OS that runs PalmOS programs and be on a par with WM technically. But even in this case survival of the Palm Treo is not guaranteed. Remember, back in the day OS/2 was technically far superior to and more stable than Windows on the PC. Betamax was superior to VHS. The superior product doesn't always win. WM devices have such a huge lead at this point it may be impossible to catch them.
    How is it technically inferior? The POS does what it does very well. Why do we worry about WiFi and looking for hot spots when you can access a "high speed" connection through your carrier? The battery life is awful? Not really. Multi-tasking? Multi-tasking won't get it done any faster in the handheld environment. As for getting work done - what does Windows do better than Palm? Really.

My Sprint Treo 700p is in heavy use throughout the day, going between 6A and when ever the end of my day arrives, with around 6+ hours of use with HanDBase and ChatterEmail. I am always available via email (ChatterEmail/push), text messaging, voice and accomplish a tremendous amount of documentation with HanDBase.

Voice dialing? I have voice dialing on my Nextel/Motorola i605 and in the past used it, yepper, for just a day or so and realized that in anything other than a quiet environment, it was worthless. Put it in an open area with wind (it gets windy in paradise), get it in an area with lots of noise and voice dialing is worthless.

Terrible Bluetooth support? It could be better, but it is far from terrible. I use Bluetooth to sync mine at the end of the day (the 650 did not see a USB cable after I purchased a Bluetooth adapter and the 700p has never had a USB cable attached). I use Bluetooth to move files around to the device and card, move DTG files around, and so on.

Just because it is not a Windoz device...it works and does so rather well.

Ben
    No doubt Frankengarnet is going to be retired and replaced with a Linux based OS. It's been discussed time and time again.

That said, Windows is behind in my opinion in many areas- with useability being #1. I can easily fly around my 700p with one hand. WinMob is like pulling teeth sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Thus guy is an embarrassment to people who really know Windows Mobile. He's all talk and no substance. Can the mods have a talk with him please?

Surur

I have reported this guy to the mods. He is all over TreoCentral spreading negative statements and instigating fights.
    Example: Marc the ChatterEmail developer has just released a nice improvement to ChatterEmail performance on the Treo 700p. And while we were all happy about it. This guys comes out all negative been sarcastic about how a developer fixes things that should have been fixed by Palm and suggesting how much we are wasting our time with our Treo. I cannot believe what this guys writes.. He need to be banned period.

Al
    I agree. This guy has become an incredible irritant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I have reported this guy to the mods. He is all over TreoCentral spreading negative statements and instigating fights.
    Example: Marc the ChatterEmail developer has just released a nice improvement to ChatterEmail performance on the Treo 700p. And while we were all happy about it. This guys comes out all negative been sarcastic about how a developer fixes things that should have been fixed by Palm and suggesting how much we are wasting our time with our Treo. I cannot believe what this guys writes.. He need to be banned period.

Al
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I can't believe you guys are getting mad because I am tell people about many problems the 700p has. You guys reporting me because you realize the flaws in the 700p. Then you guys are getting mad because I am saving other people the problems of buying the 700p. Everyone is reading my post and really thinking about what I am saying. It makes sense but just in a bad way for the 700p. You guys are mad at me for bring the problems and flaws that palm is not addressing. If you guys were happy what your P's you would be complaining about me. Some of you are saying your 700p have not had a random reset yet to come or making other claims that you evdo is super fast. I have a 700p and many of you do. We are all having problems with this device and the lack of support from plam. I the 700w is very stable and I am trying to give people other options than the 700p. Some people want wifi,Mp3 support, voice dialing,better battery life, and fast evdo. All I am doing is saving them complaining when they get their new treo and when they come back on this site to address the problems. You guys need to tell people that are new to palm or that want to upgrade from thier 650 that it is really unstable right now. Don't tell them the device is remarkable and it doesn't have major problems.
    I can't believe you guys are getting mad because I am tell people about many problems the 700p has. You guys reporting me because you realize the flaws in the 700p. Then you guys are getting mad because I am saving other people the problems of buying the 700p. Everyone is reading my post and really thinking about what I am saying. It makes sense but just in a bad way for the 700p. You guys are mad at me for bring the problems and flaws that palm is not addressing. If you guys were happy what your P's you would be complaining about me. Some of you are saying your 700p have not had a random reset yet to come or making other claims that you evdo is super fast. I have a 700p and many of you do. We are all having problems with this device and the lack of support from plam. I the 700w is very stable and I am trying to give people other options than the 700p. Some people want wifi,Mp3 support, voice dialing,better battery life, and fast evdo. All I am doing is saving them complaining when they get their new treo and when they come back on this site to address the problems. You guys need to tell people that are new to palm or that want to upgrade from thier 650 that it is really unstable right now. Don't tell them the device is remarkable and it doesn't have major problems.

Troll GO AWAY!!!!
    NOW!!!

"Plam"? - are you maybe talking about a desert-like item, and not a smartphone?

How much are they paying you, anyway, to put this drivel up? Too much I think!

Cheers,

Neo
    Last edited by TreoNeopet; 07/19/2006 at 05:26 PM.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast