Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 192
  1. #21  
    The only reason I would choose a 650 over the 700p is if you need a GSM world phone. I have seen some issues with initial application support issues, but it looks like many of these issues are either resolved or close to resolution.

    I am very happy with my choice of upgrading to a 700p.

    What you aren't hearing is the many happy users of the 700p chiming in. (Why post and complain if you aren't having issues?)
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    The only reason I would choose a 650 over the 700p is if you need a GSM world phone. I have seen some issues with initial application support issues, but it looks like many of these issues are either resolved or close to resolution.

    I am very happy with my choice of upgrading to a 700p.

    What you aren't hearing is the many happy users of the 700p chiming in. (Why post and complain if you aren't having issues?)
    I second Brandorr's comments.

    I upgraded from the 650 to the 700p and also am very happy. The two things that give it an absolute advantage for me are: the extra memory and EVDO. I am a very heavy Goodlink user, and on the 650, Goodlink consumed a huge portion of available memory -- add Documents To Go, and not much is left over. On the 700p, DTG is in ROM and there is lots of memory left over after installing Goodlink. This translates to FAR FEWER resets and overall better performance.

    I also travel alot and EVDO has proven to be very valuable. I no longer have to pay the $6.95 airport or $9.95-12.95 hotel wireless fees to get my laptop on the internet. I simply use tethered mode with Bluetooth and connect whenever I want (assuming EVDO availability).

    Also, with the 650, it seems that a fair number of calls would be missed due to my being on the web. I would get a voicemail message without being aware that I had missed a call. With the 700p calls come through even when I am in tethered mode to my laptop!

    Most of the performance complaints seem to be related to things like pTunes skipping when other activities are performed or use of a 3rd party program that is having compatibility problems. I have pTunes and have played with the streaming capabilities. For the most part they appear to work pretty well. I can certainly reproduce the skipping problem by performing some other functions while listening to music, but, for me, this is not at all why I have a treo. Those functions are minor amusements, and I really wouldn't care if they were not offered at all (again please note that I said "FOR ME"; I understand that others have different usage needs).

    For the things that I rely on, overall I would say that the phone has been great.
  3. #23  
    I'm gonna add my positive side of the story. While the 700p still has issues, it is way better than the 650. Why?
    -It has lots of memory available and I don't have to sacrifise speed of loading apps from the SD card.
    -It resets way less times than my 650. The 650 would reset just because it wanted to at any point of time during the day. And of course while using it.
    -A reset does not make you lose your saved and unsaved preferences on my 700p. This is a great fix. I have been very pissed at times when that would happen on my 650.
    -Blazer is more usable after it is launched on the 700p. On the 650 it was very slow.
    -Bluetooth is also much better on the 700p. Connection to the headset is almost instantly.
    -EVDO is a dream come true on the Treo. It is like discovering a new world. Trust me on this.
    -Verichat and Chatter. My two favorite apps are very stable on my Treo 700p. On the 650 I would get resets for getting notifications or new messages.
    -Most of the time it turns on when I hit the red button. On the 650 damm you would have to press it like 3 to 5 times or wait like 15 seconds to have it turn on.
    -The 1 Mpx camera is much better than the 650 camera.

    If I have to chose between the 650 and the 700p. I would not think twice. I would get the 700p in a heart beat.

    I hope this helps people who want to buy the 700p.

    Al
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by amell
    I am 600 user and "sat out" the 650, waiting for the 700p, and now I am waiting for the early issues to be resolved, but it is sounding discouraging, and I am thinking of just getting a 650...
    I made the jump from the 600 to the 700p and I'm glad.
    The screen, keyboard, processor speed and Ev-DO is well worth it IMO.
    And in my case the BT is a major advantage-mines works-I'm using the basic Treo BT headset.

    I'd say go for it.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I made the jump from the 600 to the 700p and I'm glad.
    The screen, keyboard, processor speed and Ev-DO is well worth it IMO.
    And in my case the BT is a major advantage-mines works-I'm using the basic Treo BT headset.

    I'd say go for it.
    Good Luck
    What he said +plus+ the better camera, improved to-do app ("Tasks" now has alarms and more flexible sorting which the 600 did not), improved Text message app, stock email app doesn't accrue memory like stock email app in the 600 did (although its far from perfect) and you'll find that the overall usability of the Treo 700p increases versus the 600 when using apps that use the web (Genius, blazer, DA, etc. etc) because of the speed increase.

    While there are a few steps backwards as well (speaker, build quality, etc) I believe some of these fundamental enhancements prove Palm is in fact listening and doing what they can with an old operating platform.
    Sprint Treo 600 (since October '03) --> PPC 6700 (exactly 29 days) --> Sprint Treo 600 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> BB Curve 8330.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    There are lots of issues that they need to address. To summarize:
    -SD Card Not mounting after a reset
    -BT disconnecting at random times.
    -PTunes jumpy
    -Treo overall speed slower than any previous Treos
    -Screen lines showing up at power up and other times.
    -Screen not usable outdoors
    -Blazer crashing a lot and slow at times

    Al
    1) Will most likely be fixed by an update

    2) This could conceivably be improved with an update but I don't consider it entirely the Treo's fault. I have seen different devices do this to different extents enough times that I'd consider this a fault of the standard itself.

    3) Should be fixed in the next upgrade

    4) Should be fixed in the next upgrade

    5) This is just the screen itself. I have seen this on other "modern" transflective devices as well. Unfortuantely it seems that as LCD's are becoming more and more commonplace and the electronics get cheaper, they also occasionally get crappier. All LCDs have to refresh themselves, however newer screens (whether it's due to faster reponse times or just cheap electronics) seem to do a worse job of this.

    6) See the above (although I personally don't find the 700P screen to be that bad, my old phones screen could have just as well not been transflective.

    7) I haven't had this experience on mine.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    -Bluetooth is also much better on the 700p. Connection to the headset is almost instantly.
    Disconnection after your phone call ends also happens almost instantly (with most headsets - even supported ones).

    Why is it that bluetooth works fine on the cheapest phones you can buy, but the most expensive cellphone in the world can't get such a basic function right? This cannot be blamed on 3rd party software developers (apologists on this forum seem to have fallen in love with this defense). The BT standard has been around a long time now. Headsets that work fine on the 650 and every other BT phone do not work on the 700p. This is a result of inferior design and testing.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    I'm gonna add my positive side of the story. While the 700p still has issues, it is way better than the 650. Why?
    -It has lots of memory available and I don't have to sacrifise speed of loading apps from the SD card.
    -It resets way less times than my 650. The 650 would reset just because it wanted to at any point of time during the day. And of course while using it.
    -A reset does not make you lose your saved and unsaved preferences on my 700p. This is a great fix. I have been very pissed at times when that would happen on my 650.
    -Blazer is more usable after it is launched on the 700p. On the 650 it was very slow.
    -Bluetooth is also much better on the 700p. Connection to the headset is almost instantly.
    -EVDO is a dream come true on the Treo. It is like discovering a new world. Trust me on this.
    -Verichat and Chatter. My two favorite apps are very stable on my Treo 700p. On the 650 I would get resets for getting notifications or new messages.
    -Most of the time it turns on when I hit the red button. On the 650 damm you would have to press it like 3 to 5 times or wait like 15 seconds to have it turn on.
    -The 1 Mpx camera is much better than the 650 camera.

    If I have to chose between the 650 and the 700p. I would not think twice. I would get the 700p in a heart beat.

    I hope this helps people who want to buy the 700p.

    Al

    You know, I just went from a 650 to a 700 on Friday and I couldn't be more disappointed. I very rarely had resets with my 650 and GL.

    While I don't get resets with my 700 either , the battery issue is a huge problem. I have to sometimes recharge in the middle of the day because something is draining the battery and I'm not even using the phone very much. I had about 30 mins worth of calls yesterday and I had goodlink running throughout the day and the battery was almost dead when I left work. On the 650 I could go two days with moderate phone use and GL running and still have some battery left.

    I'm not sure about everyone else but the features that you gain on the 700p are of no use if you have no battery power to use them. I know, i know, you can carry an extra battery and such, but it's not really the point. Why would you have to take a step backwards to get a newer phone?

    Josh
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by uscpsycho
    Disconnection after your phone call ends also happens almost instantly (with most headsets - even supported ones).

    Why is it that bluetooth works fine on the cheapest phones you can buy, but the most expensive cellphone in the world can't get such a basic function right? This cannot be blamed on 3rd party software developers (apologists on this forum seem to have fallen in love with this defense). The BT standard has been around a long time now. Headsets that work fine on the 650 and every other BT phone do not work on the 700p. This is a result of inferior design and testing.
    Amen brother. The 650 was picky, and the 700p is pickier. I tried 3 different headsets until I found one that worked great on the 650 (overpowered 590A), then of course it's not supported by 700p. Supported? This term should not be able to be used in this context. If two things comply to the same standard, then they are compatible. The 700p does not actually have Bluetooth, it has "PALM Bluetooth". Vendors are going to have to start selling headsets that conform both to Bluetooth, and "PALM Bluetooth 650" or "PALM Bluetooth 700".
  10. #30  
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.
  11. #31  
    Now if Sprint would just put out a 700w I would be happy.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.
    Yup, Microsoft has arrived to cure Palm of all its ills. The Palm guys ought to fold up camp and admit defeat. http://img117.exs.cx/img117/9585/q9crolleyes.gif
  13. #33  
    yep this is a microsoft world now. Even the ipod is in trouble.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    yep this is a microsoft world now. Even the ipod is in trouble.
    Check this out (http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jgorm.../18/22289.aspx).
  15. #35  
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.






    If the W is selling so great why did verizon jump at the opportunity to get the p in stock at the same time as sprint.sounds to me that they felt they could sell a lot of Ps

    Fred
  16. #36  
    I guess what they thought but I bet they are getting a lot of people switching over to the W from the P.When the W come out on sprint half of you guys will go get it and say the 700p was just too unstable.WM smartphones are backing the palm os against the wall.This was palm best option to stop with the retro os.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    The 700p was doomed from the start. Microsoft is in the palm game now. You can clearly see that the 700w is doing better than the 700p why? Microsoft pays palm to put more effort into the W. Besides the palm os is out dated. The 700p can't even support 200kbps evdo or wifi.
    You claimed to be getting over 700kbps with your 700p. What gives?
  18. #38  
    Isn't that funny how Win Mobile users like to troll Palm OS users with things like "Microsoft Rules.." "The Palm OS is dead" etc.... I have a 700p and I don't really care what happens in the Win Mobile world. My Treo does everything I want it to do and more so I'm happy with what I got.

    Al
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Isn't that funny how Win Mobile users like to troll Palm OS users with things like "Microsoft Rules.." "The Palm OS is dead" etc.... I have a 700p and I don't really care what happens in the Win Mobile world. My Treo does everything I want it to do and more so I'm happy with what I got.

    Al
    Sure is. Just look at how cccablecompany got pwned in this thread: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...9&postcount=17
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Sure is. Just look at how cccablecompany got pwned in this thread: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...9&postcount=17
    That's AWESOME!! I love it when people take the time to catch morons in the act!
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions