1.    #1  
    The System flash is 64MB NOR Flash and the ROM image is only about 28MB uncompressed. I was wondering why.

Could PALM have a mega-update on the drawing board? (Maybe Palm OS X?)
    Don't want to sound pessimistic, but from what I've seen recently in the handheld market I doubt that you will get more than a couple of ROM updates to the existing OS on the 700p. It's not a question of the hardware supporting the next gen OS (which it probably would) it's the fact that it seems that PDA makers have realized that it is vastly more lucrative for them to artificially use a new OS as leverage to get people to buy new hardware. Also, from what I've seen OS upgrades not only eliminate the opportunity to force a hardware upgrade, they also seem to incur lots of additional costs for the manufacturer, from the R&D costs of customizing the image to their device to the support costs of people complaining about new "features" or crippling their device by messing up the flashing process.

The last time I personally saw a manufacturer release a major OS upgrade for a PDA was a few years ago with Dell the Axim x5, and WM2003. I'm guessing they came to regret that... I haven't heard of them releasing another upgrade like that since.
  3.    #3  
    Well, PALM did seem to learn one thing from the Treo650 upgrade process, when designing the 700p. They have seperated the OS from apps/data. (64MB NOR flash for OS/system and 64MB NAND flash for apps and data)

This should allow firmware upgrades to go much more smoothly, without requiring the convoluted process of having to rename your backup folder and having to create a temporary hotsync user to perform the upgrade.

I do suspect that the next generation OS will be ready within the next 12 months. If this is the case, wouldn't it be a little soon to require a full hardware update? (Keep in mind there are economies of scale to be gained from keeping an existing product line up and running)

(I have a feeling the mass market "lowrider" will use the new OS).

Oh yeah, what about the relatively recent major update for the Lifedrive? That was pretty major, and vastly improved the LD.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    The last time I personally saw a manufacturer release a major OS upgrade for a PDA was a few years ago with Dell the Axim x5, and WM2003. I'm guessing they came to regret that... I haven't heard of them releasing another upgrade like that since.
    Dell, HP and Eten released a WM2003SE to WM5 upgrade.

Surur
    I believe Verizon's Samsung i730 was just upgraded from WM2003 to WM5 as well. Although not an entireley new OS, it's not an unusual process.
  6.    #6  
    What other reasons could it be? They could have easily fit a conpressed ROM image in much less than 32MB? (like they did on the 650)

Another thought is maybe they have plans for OTA firmware updates, and have the System flash divided into two 32MB partitions.

Any other thoughts? Is it possible that they are using the same chip in the 700w, and just wanted to get better volume pricing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Is it possible that they are using the same chip in the 700w, and just wanted to get better volume pricing?
    that is precisely the reason, it's the exact configuration of the 700w:

32MB RAM
    64MB System (Windows Mobile 5)
    64MB User accessible memory
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!