1.    #1  
    Well, I made it approx 10 weeks and am now experiencing my 1st dreaded reset loop - I've read thru the threads - I've done a WARM reset and was able to bring up the phone menu (phone off). I hit 377 (VZ) and it told me Volumecare was the culprit & no, I can't live w/out it but I'll deal w/that later! (I have a registered vers) When I hit the home button, I went back into the loop. I was able to create a favorite button to ZLauncher but when I hit this - I go back into the loop (same thing if I hit the APP fav I created). (I have an SD card & have tried this warm reset with & w/out the card in - doesn't make a difference). I added the game Chuzzle today to my SD card & played fine. I also added a PDF to the Adobe PDF viewer for Palm OS that I've never used (seemed to work fine) and I added 1 word doc to Docs to Go (also on the card). Treo (650) was working fine - I turned it on since then, made calls, etc - it was when I launched Chuzzle to play a game - it went to load from the card, and that's when the reset loop began.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me. I just tried the partial hard reset, held down the red phone button until prompted to erase all data - said no - and it went back into the loop.

I am all backed up at work if I need to do a hard reset - it will be a pain, but I suppose I can if it's my last resort!
    So you know the problem is "Volumecare", but you didn't delete it and now you don't know why you are getting a reset loop? Am I missing something here?

3.    #3  
    I can't get to it to delete it, or get to anything else like Zlauncher file manager - that is the problem. I can't get to any of the applications. I'd delete Chuzzle, the Acrobat reader & volumecare if I could right now!
    Do a hard reset and erase the files from the backup folder on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie K
    I can't get to it to delete it, or get to anything else like Zlauncher file manager - that is the problem. I can't get to any of the applications. I'd delete Chuzzle, the Acrobat reader & volumecare if I could right now!
    1) Do a WARM reset
    2) Install Destaller Lite (or some uninstaller that you have lying around)
    3) Delete the applications
    4) Do a SOFT reset

If you did the WARM reset right, you cannot turn-on the phone or BT etc...
    The problem is not necessarily VolumeCare, just it happened to be what was blamed.

GreenHex has the solution correct, do the warm reset, delete what you think is the offending program, and then reset again. If it still doesn't help, try another program which might be suspect. Anything new would be the first to blame.

Your saved/unsaved prefs might still be lost with all this, however, so hopefully you can restore those from backup. When the 650 gets in this sort of reset loop it tends to lose them.
  7.    #7  
    Like I said, I can't get to any apps w/out continuing the loop. Can't get to Zlaunder, or any other application. How do I install a new app w/out being able to get out of the loop? Once I do that warm reset & have only the phone screen available (but phone off, cant' even get to the part where I see if Beam is off) can I then do a hot sync & install Destaller Lite (or File Z for that matter)? It worries me to do a hot sync to my PC while not being able to get out a a loop? Maybe I'm better off doing a hard reset - moving a few apps out of my backup folder to & then hotsyncing desktop overwrites handheld?!

I def. agree about VC not necessarily being the prob. Perhaps it's just not playing nice with another app right now.
    How do I install a new app w/out being able to get out of the loop? Once I do that warm reset & have only the phone screen available (but phone off, cant' even get to the part where I see if Beam is off) can I then do a hot sync & install Destaller Lite (or File Z for that matter)?
    You can still use the palm's builtin "Delete" (Home->Menu->Delete) to delete the unwanted apps one by one if you do not have an uninstaller available.
  9.    #9  
    If I hit home, I go back into reset loop. If I hit a fav set to ZLauncher I go back into reset loop.
    If I hit home, I go back into reset loop. If I hit a fav set to ZLauncher I go back into reset loop.
    Of-course, you mentioned this in your first post... And I missed it.

I suppose your only option is to do a HARD reset. It's not as hard as it is made out to be... You can install the apps one by one. But be careful before you do a HotSync... you may have important data that you require (contacts, calendar etc...) but you do not want to replace the junk that you just got rid of by doing the HARD reset.

I have two suggestions (from personal experience):

1) Get rid of Adobe PDF, no good ever came out of that one, and it is a useless program on the Treo. (there are other better options).

2) Get out of the "Launcher" business. Use the smooth palm launcher and start appreciating it.

Set aside 30 mins to get your Treo back up and working and you should be fine.
  11.    #11  
    Thank you! I am going to do that hard reset. I keep reading these suggestions & wonder am I explaining incorrectly! I am doing some rearranging of my backup folders, etc and am going to do that hard reset. Will follow up!
    Before you do the HARD reset, do a little experiment:

Edit the Favorites Button (In the phone app), if possible and try to launch FileZ or some other application from there. Maybe you have a corrupted psysLaunchDB or something... I am not knowledgeable in these things, and it is just my guess.
  13.    #13  
    How bout this - when I do a hard reset & sync new - should I keep my SD card out of the Treo? Just tried another warm reset - & tried to launch ZLauncher (and regular application menu) and went back into the loop. I give up - I'm doing a hard reset.

I'm not a big Dylan fan, but "stuck inside a reset with the memphis blues again" keeps running thru my head! LOL..
    You can keep the SD card out, no harm either way! Disable all sync conduits except the ones you really want...
  15.    #15  
    Well, a big MAHALO (thanks) to all who've helped me out (esp. Green Hex!) ... I've done my hard reset & seem to be back in business!
    Now that you got everything working, some more follow-up suggestions to keep everything ship-shape:

1) Install FileZ (or 3XCom) in both Internal memory and SD Card
    2) Install a backup program (I recommend NVBackup)
    3) Install Destaller Lite (or other uninstaller) in both Internal memory and SD Card
    3a) Schedule regular backups pref. at night
    4) Install SysTool...
    5) Map these to the Phone Favourites menu(s).

0) Learn to use all of the above utilities so that you can confidently get back on your feet the next time something like this happens.
    Here is a link to a proceedure that works 99.99% of the time to recover from a reset loop:

http://www.gotreosoftware.com/support/#_Toc135807426

Jeff

BTW: Most 5.4x versions of VolumeCare before 5.46 could cause reset loops in some Treo's. Version 5.46 is a stable release that should be used by all VolumeCare customers.