Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Now that you guys have had your p's for a while, I was wondering why did you guys pick it over the w, and do you regret it? I was completely sure that i was going to get the p, until i read up on the w forums, and there are not nearly as many people complaining. Give me some insights peoples.
    I pick the 700p over the 700w due:

#1. amount of applications I have purchased for use. Bunches and I have become very comfy with them - they do what I need.

#2. The number of applications avaiable for it compared to the 700w - even though the 700w is growing, it still is far behind.

#3. Stability.

#4. Ease of use.

I put only a couple of hours into playing with the 700w at the local Sprint store, much to their displeasure. Not a bad device, but the interface was just more than what I needed. The learning curve one might say was more than I was willing to invest. The Palm OS has not changed significantly in basic operation and it works. Multi-tasking is something I really do not need. My device is primarily used for work, hardly do I use it for entertainment purposes.

The only problem I have had with the 700p has been with the datebook becoming corrupted twice. I can live with it, as the fix does not take too much effort.

I have tried other Windows based devices and I like the one-handed operation the Treo series gives. Frankly, it the best convergent device out there, regardless of the "w" or "p" designation.

Ben
    see the review of the difference between the W and P by David Pogue in the NY Times Technology section. Its a video - look in archives - Thats why I got the P and not the W.
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I would never own a Windows product. Full stop.
    700p - quick access to PIM, Email, Games, Wireless Apps, etc.

Does it all nicely.

700w - nice but not as efficient at offering the above mentioned items.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    I looked at the 700w at a Verizon store and it locked on me in 5 minutes (too many apps open I think). The salesman looked at the phone and yelled back to the tech department "Hay.. This 700w locked again.. Should I just do the hard reset?" I was like... "ummmm. I like the 700p"
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    I would take the W if it had more memory so that you could actually multitask on it without getting out of memory errors.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I just find the PalmOS easier to use. Besides now that I have EVDO, it doesn't matter what Palm can and can't run. I just use a terminal services or VNC app and run any program I need as if I am at my desktop. I find that far more useful than any SmartPhone Multi-tasking.

That being said, I want the OS that provides me with the best screen, longest battery life, and is simple to use. Palm fits that bill.

I have yet to find a compelling reason (i.e. the killer app) to choose Windows Moble over Palm.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    I looked at the 700w at a Verizon store and it locked on me in 5 minutes (too many apps open I think). The salesman looked at the phone and yelled back to the tech department "Hay.. This 700w locked again.. Should I just do the hard reset?" I was like... "ummmm. I like the 700p"
    lol! great job mr. salesman! great technique

thats funny though...
    Visit me at myspace:
    www.myspace.com/stylestrumentals
    My experience with the 700w:

1.) Washed out low-res screen.
    2.) Constant low memory problems (apps freezing, phone not responding).
    3.) Terrible bluetooth implementation. Answers call and routes through my car then drops the bluetooth link 30 seconds into the call. Constantly does this along with a long list of other bluetooth issues.
    4.) Terrible PIM apps. Make the Palm PIN apps look like Superman.
    5.) Terribly basic email. Can't tell it to delete an email in an IMAP account but leave it on the server to free space on the device. Even Versamail on Palm can do this.

Just basic terrible bugginess and poor implementations. Example, you can just favorites in the today page! Phone calls only, and after a few things are too crowded to be usefull. I've got three pages of favorites on the 700p (I could do more) with phone links, web links, and apps. I'd had lots of devices but the 700w was so bad that I finally gave up and paid the termination fee to get rid of it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    Now that you guys have had your p's for a while, I was wondering why did you guys pick it over the w, and do you regret it? I was completely sure that i was going to get the p, until i read up on the w forums, and there are not nearly as many people complaining. Give me some insights peoples.

People use Windows & MS product in the client/server world because they are forced down everyones throat, not because they are the best products. They stay with Windows & MS stuff not because they want to, but because they get pushed in a corner and are victims of vendor lock in.

In the handheld world we are lucky that we aren't in that same boat (yet). Why anyone would want to abandon a tried and true, highly functional product in favor of yet another half baked MS product is beyond comprehension.
    i am getting 116.2kbps with 5 bars.
    i guess you cant answer having a crappy device?
    Five bars only indicated voice signal. It's possible to have 5 bars and no EVDO signal.
    Five bars only indicates voice signal. It's possible to have 5 bars and no EVDO signal.
    i have a evdo signal.Its blue arrows.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    i guess you cant answer having a crappy device?
    Yes. That's right. Our crappy devices prevent us from answering you. And to think just two weeks ago (6/28) you were on the 700w board telling people to buy a 700p because the W was crappy:

yea i had the same problem when i had my crappy 700w. Its a software problem hopefully they will fix it with the next update. Buy a 700p.
    Or that 3 days before that you were telling people on the 700p board that 700w is better than the 700p:

700w is a better buy.
    700w wins the 700p is soo outdated with the os
    And that was on the SAME DAY you answered a poll asking if you would buy a 700w if you had to choose all over again:

nope 700p all the way
    But back to topic of this thread, I'm not sure why you care about how fast your 700p is, since you decided to Ebay it yesterday:

I will have this 700p on ebay real soon for cheap......I guess just a crappy device.
    According to Ebay rules you have to put in a honest description of the item for sale, so don't forget to put it that it's a crappy device in the product description......make sure you put that it's slow, too. Don't forget to include the fact that your 700p resets all the time:

This is unbelieveable how many times this treo resets by itself....
    Or that it can't access popular websites:

You guys try to go to a site like ebgames.com. It stop at 84.4k on the page and says it can't be loaded.On the W never had such a error sceen about can't load a page.
    Or that it has all of these problems:

No wifi,media player can't play files,jumpy mp3 player, unstable java, and constant crashes,slow web bowser, unused buttons,lack of bluetooth,mp3,push email,alarms,voice dialing,no auto screen turn off after (x) amount of seconds.
    And apparently it has a some sort of sound quality problem:

high-pitched whine too !!
    But if you end up keeping the 700p, my advice to you is to just stick with testing your speed on 2Wire:

966.8 kbits
    or this one:

just got 786 on 2wire
    Remember when you posted these results back on 6/16? Seems fast enough to me.....
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Ooohhhh Snap!
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark
    Yes. That's right. Our crappy devices prevent us from answering you. And to think just two weeks ago (6/28) you were on the 700w board telling people to buy a 700p because the W was crappy:

Or that 3 days before that you were telling people on the 700p board that 700w is better than the 700p:

And that was on the SAME DAY you answered a poll asking if you would buy a 700w if you had to choose all over again:

But back to topic of this thread, I'm not sure why you care about how fast your 700p is, since you decided to Ebay it yesterday:

According to Ebay rules you have to put in a honest description of the item for sale, so don't forget to put it that it's a crappy device in the product description......make sure you put that it's slow, too. Don't forget to include the fact that your 700p resets all the time:

Or that it can't access popular websites:

Or that it has all of these problems:

And apparently it has a some sort of sound quality problem:

But if you end up keeping the 700p, my advice to you is to just stick with testing your speed on 2Wire:

or this one:

Remember when you posted these results back on 6/16? Seems fast enough to me.....
    Wow, dcpmark takes no prisoners. I like it!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast