Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Each to their own. I had a 700w and returned it. It would freeze unless I remembered to close programs and it was not compatible with my corporate e-mail. Also, its e-mail app could only check one e-mail account automatically. My 700p is solid (only a few resets) and handles a lot of apps. EVDO works great and my only complaint is the much discussed slowness is switching between certain apps. I'm sure the 700w is better for a lot of people, but not for me. There's no reason to get angry about it.
    Although I had trouble with a few apps such as Initiate (voice dialing and another minor bug), PDANet, and VeriChat, these apps have all been fixed (or in the VeriChat case, there was a patch program some other user released), it is all working. I do get some resets when I try to get audio streams to play through Blazer. Better to just know the URL and type it directly into PTunes.

Other than that, it does seem to be more stable than the 650.

I would be interested in knowing if Mr. New Orleans tried deleting his saved_preferences file. That almost always solves unexplained resets.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Arguing Palm OS versus Windows is the same as arguing Mac over Windows or Linux. Its a simple matter of personal preference. I like that there are so many low/no cost programs for the Palm OS - I have consistently had problems with only a few apps, and they tend to fall into broad catagories, like email. The current version of Versamail - the one that came with the 700p is a dramatic improvement over the one that came bundled with the 650. There are some underlying bugs with the OS, all of which will get addressed with the first ROM update that I expect in weeks, not years. If you DEMAND 100% uptime in your device - which seems to be where you are heading, you need to go back to a dedicated cellphone. A smartphone is not going to be as failsafe as a typical cell because it has so much more going on - if you have a low tolerance for the issues that come with integration, go get yourself a nice Razr and a separate PDA.
    No matter what the platform: Linux, Windows, Mac, PocetPC or Palm I always try to pick what's best for me (not what someone else tells me to pick (or tells me that they think it's better).

And regardless of the platform I always try to use a spelchk progrm.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    Arguing Palm OS versus Windows is the same as arguing Mac over Windows or Linux.
    Much of it is what you are used to too.....We prepare manuals for clients and so had to keep working versions of all the major word processors.....inevitably whatever the person was last using was "the best"....anything else was "stoopid".

After a few months tho, pretty much everyone did all of their work in Lotus WordPro and did a "Save As" to MS Word or Word Perfect....I remewmebr laughing (met the author) when I found out that the "How to use MS Word" books in CompUSA were written by a guy who did them in WordPro.

It is as if I was asked to get in an English vehicle with the wheel on the "wrong side".....and an IK dude was given mine....we would both feel as if the other was superior.

OTOH, the 650 and 700p have garnered about 30 or so Editor's Choice awards. While I wouldn't give any one award any credence, the preponderance of the all going one way (haven't seen 1 yest go to 700w) I think has some significance.
    You are either a troll or have spent no time configuring your device.

Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    update lol? How long did it take them to release a update for the 650 about a year or 2 after it came out. Blazer with evdo is the same as the 1x.Most people will tell you stright up this can't get over 200k. My girl sidekick 2 is load pages faster. Then on the W I never seen a error that said page can not be loaded wtf?You guys try to go to a site like ebgames.com. It stop at 84.4k on the page and says it can't be loaded.On the W never had such a error sceen about can't load a page. I just can't believe how crappy this 700p is. You guys like palm but for what all they are doing is short changing you.
    1. ebgames.com loaded fine on my 650 even.

At least with windows media player it can play media files without errors. No wifi,media player can't play files,jumpy mp3 player,
    2. ptunes runs fine here (realplayer worked fine before I removed it)

unstable java
    3. java is not stock on the 700p

, and constant crashes
    4. Are you running 3rd party software? If so, don't blame Palm for the resets.

,slow web bowser, unused buttons,lack of bluetooth
    don't tell my bluetooth earphone that.. it works here

,mp3,
    realplayer, ptunes

push email,
    Chatter, Snappermail

alarms
    huh? alarms have been on Palm forever

,voice dialing
    VoiceSignal voice dial is inculded on the Treo 650, did they remove it from the 700p?

,no auto screen turn off after (x) amount of seconds.
    my 650 screen turns off after 180 seconds... 3 minutes. RTFM

Trust me I can go on and one about to crappy device.
    Yes, but how much of it is true?

The only really downfall is the 240x240 display on the 700w.Palm update made the W so you can run 2 apps at one time before you couls run about 4. I guess they had to downgrade the W to make you guys device not seem so bad and behind.You guys flamed the 700w with the little problems but look like you guys are really getting stiffed by palm. I need to ask is the 700p really selling well in 06 compared to the W?Like I said for people who are thinking or who own the 700p this nothing more than a device that should have been released in the 80's! kids could have made this Os. It's so retro like the apple os in the 80's. With palm Os you will be spending bucks on 3rd party apps that should be standard built in. It least the W saves you money on apps that's should be standard built in. I trust me when I first got my p I still had the w and I was loading 2 of the same webpages at the same time and the W was twice as fast but I said maybe its sprint network. Nope later found out blazer can only push 300k max at a time. You take advanage of evdo just because if blazer.
    Well I had a 700w for a month. Based on your comments, the only fitting punishment I can see for you is to get a 700w. It was the absolute worst device I've ever owned (and I've had PocketPCs before). Yup, that Microsoft stability is great. It's great that they keep those apps open in the lousy 32MB ram the thing has so when you get a phone call it takes 5 seconds for it to answer. And then freeze so you can't hangup the call. Truly a great device!

I can't believe I listened to perry and many others that said the 700p would be better than the 700w. ...
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    i was so sure that i was going to buy a p until today. i looked on the w threads and no one is complaining nearly as much about their devices, and the things i am going to use it for....email, surfing, documents, slingbox, multitasking, maps, seems to better on the w than the p. onli thing worse is the screen....i am SO CONFUSED
    Go back in time a little bit. Look at the posts for the first month after the W came out, and you'll find almost nothing BUT complaints. It crashed, apps wouldn't work, it ran out of memory, etc., etc.

But over time people figured out work arounds, a firmware update was release (I think), vendors updated their apps to work better with the Treo's customized version of WM5, and people got happier. Mostly. (The W's still stuck with a pathetically limited amount of RAM, and people have to load 3rd party apps to manage memory and close apps so the device doesn't constantly run out of RAM.)

Go even further back and look at the posts after the Treo 650 intro. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Our old 600 apps wouldn't run, the thing crashed left and right and up and down, oh how could Palm introduce such a bad device, yada yada yada. But a little time went by, people figured out waht worked and what didn't, vendors update their software, Palm issued a ROM update or two. Most people are happy.

Check back here in a few months, after a ROM update, and you'll see the same thing. Most software will have been updated to support the P better, Palm will issue a ROM update, and all will be well.

As for the OPs specific problems, if his Treo is crashing all the time it is almost certainly a 3rd party software problem. If he's willing to spend a little time with it, he can almost certainly figure out what's causing the problem and work around it. Or he can give up and get a W, and put up with inadequate memory, put a bunch of 3rd party apps on anyway, and still have a device with a 2nd rate screen that's harder to use.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    what ever floats your boat ATM I suppose...

I for one couldn't be more happier w/ my device (700p) after ironing out the creases over the last few weeks.
    Last edited by treodub; 07/14/2006 at 02:16 PM.
  10.    #30  
    where is my saved_preferences file located?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I have tried Windows Mobile devices time and time again and just can't get them to work simply and easily without resets. I think we have a simple case of user ignorance. The typing, grammar, and need to load EBgames on the Treo in itself tells me he's better off with a RAZR or SLVR or something along those lines, nothing too complicated.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    RAM
  13.    #33  
    badgermac when to try to load many of pages including ebgames you get page can not be loaded. Others with the 700p even said this is a problem. I bet you never used the 700w like most of the people in this forum.
    that's quite good considering Chatter online all day long!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    i love my 700p, but the resets and freezes (admittedly because of 3rd party apps) gotta get fixed.
    Easy to fix: dump the 3rd-party apps till you find the problem. My 700p crashes about once every 4 or 5 days, and it's always because of a bug in a 3rd-party app. There's nothing Palm can do to force developers to write code that doesn't cause problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    i was so sure that i was going to buy a p until today. i looked on the w threads and no one is complaining nearly as much about their devices, and the things i am going to use it for....email, surfing, documents, slingbox, multitasking, maps, seems to better on the w than the p. onli thing worse is the screen....i am SO CONFUSED
    My 700p works great; email comes in just fine (SnapperMail), I browse the web without trouble, and I use about 10 other programs on a regular basis as well.

The problem is that some of the naysayers post often and bitterly; I'm just a single user, but I think the 700p works great. As I've said several times, i can't imagine using a phone that relies on a M$ operating system... the thought sends chills down my spine...
    yada yada yada
    If you don't like your 700p, sell it, move on, and let us enjoy our Treos in peace.

I don't understand why you guys who hate your Treos seem to spend so much time in the Treo forum; it's like the people who say, "Every time I hit my hand with this hammer, it really hurts."

So someone says, "Well then why don't you quit doing it?"

And their reply is, "Because it feels so GOOD when I stop!"
    badgermac when to try to load many of pages including ebgames you get page can not be loaded. Others with the 700p even said this is a problem. I bet you never used the 700w like most of the people in this forum.
    Works fine for me; you may have to put the battery in your Treo.
    Check the hamper
    [QUOTE=cccablecompany]I will have this 700p on ebay real soon for cheap. /[QUOTE]

Well, instead of paying Ebay, I will take it off your hands
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast