Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Ok, so just here me out. I used to have a 650 with Verizon. Numerous resets and crashes made me sell it and go to a Palm TX and a cell phone. Well now I have made the jump back into the fray with the 700P. I have not had one crash yet! I am wondering if the low internal memory on the 650 combined with a launcher (I used Z-launcher) contribute to all the crashes I had. Since the 700P has so much more memory, I decided not to use a launcher. I think it screws things up moving them back and forth all of the time. Agree or Disagree?

Thanks.

P.S. Not sure if this should be in Palm Apps or 700P forum.
    Last edited by wbwjr; 07/13/2006 at 07:07 PM.
    I saw a rise in stability also on the 650 once I uninstalled LauncherX, it makes sense, the launcher persists in dbcache since it's used so often. So on the 700p, i'm still running launcher free
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I agree; launchers screw things up. They are heavy,
    clumsy and not all that intuitive. It's all merely eye-candy.

...that is, unless you use ScrBtn.

And I also think DBCache is not as much a problem as
    the Dynamic Heap.
    I agree. Z Launcher causes lags when switching apps. Also P-Tunes is less than half as jumpy (almost perfect) if Z Launcher is not running.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Disagree (although can't speak to the 700p).

ZL works fine on my 650 and nary a problem attributed to it (it is locked into dbCache with Resco Locker I should add)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I disagree to some degree. I use initiate and I've tried them all. Initiate is a powerful launcher that allows you to launch programs, contacts, music files, websites, etc. and I've found it to be extremely stable with minimal overhead. Try it and I think you'll change your mind.
    Ill second the motion of launchers messing things up on 700p. Zlauncher was great on my 650 but makes the 700p lag
    I agree to the point that *any* program that runs in the background can cause issues. However, Launcher X works fine for me so far now that most of its bugs have been worked out in the 700p.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I used Launcher X on my 600 and had no stability issues. I use ZLauncher on my 650 and don't have a spontaneous reset more than once every 2 or 3 weeks, and those are almost always in Blazer.

While a particular piece of software may be buggy enough to cause frequent resets, I think it's more often a combination of factors that lead to frequent resets. Low memory caused by lots of applications, multiple "background" apps, and conflicts and interactions between specific apps. By that I mean that I could run "OldApp" with no problems, and you might run "NewWhizBangApp" with no problems, but someone running both together could have lots of problems because the apps interact in ways that aren't obvious.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Are there any lightweight launchers that allow you to launch apps off the SD Card? That is really the only thing I miss from ZLauncher.
    ZL runs fine on my 700p. The main reasons I stick with it is for the skinning ability and having todo/weather on the home screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    I agree; launchers screw things up. ...that is, unless you use ScrBtn.
    ScrBtn button rocks!
    It's simple it's easy to use (unintuitive to set up at first, but it's worth it).

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy
    Are there any lightweight launchers that allow you to launch apps off the SD Card? That is really the only thing I miss from ZLauncher.
    PowerRun is what you are looking for.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy
    ScrBtn can do that...