Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I can't be the only one, but I just can't get used to using Contacts to dial from. While it is nice that I can search by first or last name and it pulls up all options, I don't like the fact that I have to scroll down to the number to dial. Just seems like an extra step when most of my contacts have only one number. SIM Book seems to be organized the way I like, but doesn't seem to have a functional search. Palm says that Contacts is designed that way because you're "dialing a number, not a person."

What solutions are there to my issue? Am I the only one annoyed by this? What are my options? I appreciate anyone & everyone's help on this!!!

GolferTrav
    Treo 650 - Cingular Unlocked on T-Mobile *NEWBIE*
    Add them to your favorites. Most of my frequently dialed numbers are there, and with Butler, I can just hold down the quick key, or whatever it's called, and dial them from almost anywhere in the phone.

As far as other apps, I'm not too familier with them. I tried one from dataviz, I think, when I first got my phone. I don't think it worked well with the voice dialing software or versamail, although I could be wrong. I decided the trouble isn't really worth the extra cost and room taken up in RAM.
    Hey man,

Basically, how I've gotten around it is to create favorites buttons for the vast majority of people I call... we get 5 pages of these buttons, so just assign the heck out of 'em to your contacts, and it's pretty easy to call people then.

Just my two pesos...

EDIT - (I posted this at the same time as someone else replied to you... looks like great minds think alike)
    Great program here:

http://www.lionscribe.com/speeddial.htm

I don't have to remember what letter I assigned on the 650, I just have to remember what number from 2-99 I've already assigned them for the last dozen phones I've had.

Here's a thread from this board back when it was just a beta.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110950
  5.    #5  
    Interesting ideas with Favorites & Speed Dial, but I don't think either of these help me SEARCH through names and just dial a name. Like I stated earlier, SIM BOOK seems to be set up perfectly with the exception of the search feature. I know some of you CDMA guys might not know what I'm talking about. I can't believe there is no way to set a DEFAULT number to a name and dial that number when you dial a name... hmmm... I appreciate the ideas so far, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for! HELP!
    Beyond Contacts by Dataviz does everything you ever wanted a contact, calendar, notes, and "to do" program to do. It works perfectly with outlook. You can dial anyone you want from the program or email for that matter. It is very user friendly. I have used it for years. It also automatically syncs to your built-in book so that caller id will still work.

As for as dialing goes...you should use voicedial to dial numbers instead of looking them up. Program it to the side button. then say "Call 'John Doe' Mobile" or "Call 'Jane Doe' Home" It does just that. you can also turn off the prompts and repeats. The only time it ever dials the wrong thing for me is when I tell it to call someone that I thought was in my address book and they were not. (Or i say "Daniel" and I had "dan" programmed.

I have owned every treo since the 90 and Beyond Contacts is a must have for me.
    Unfortunately I'm a mac guy and it only works with outlook. So I have to use Windows just for that program. Lucky for me I can put windows on my new macbook.
    Well, I have to disagree about Beyond Contacts. It's an ok contact manager, but the calendar is so limited it almost made me cry. Going from Datebk 5 to Beyond Contacts calendar is a non-starter.

Voice dial is fine for frequent contacts, but I've got 500 or more contacts and no way I remember exactly how I entered each one. I understand why the OP wants the search capability. OTOH, I don't find the need to tab down one extra line after I find the contact I want to be a big deal.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    What about TAKEPhone?

I have never used it, but it is supposed to be a good contact manager (written by a great developer).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    KeyContacts from Chapura does what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Well, I have to disagree about Beyond Contacts. It's an ok contact manager, but the calendar is so limited it almost made me cry. Going from Datebk 5 to Beyond Contacts calendar is a non-starter.

Voice dial is fine for frequent contacts, but I've got 500 or more contacts and no way I remember exactly how I entered each one. I understand why the OP wants the search capability. OTOH, I don't find the need to tab down one extra line after I find the contact I want to be a big deal.
    I own both beyond contacts and datebk 5. You use a little functionality in the calendar portion, but you gain a program that pretty much acts like outlook.
    I dont like the million preference windows in Datebk5, but the original question was about the built in contact program. If he is using that, then I assume he is probably using the built in address book and will love Beyond Contacts

As for remembering in voicedial...I have 951 contacts at last count and I cant imagine it being hard to remember a first and last name. If I am calling someone, I know their name. As said before, the only time I have ever got it wrong is if I called them Dan, and Plaxo had changed it to Daniel. But you could still look it up in beyond contacts by typing any part of their first or last name, and dial from there.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Check out TealPhone (TealPoint Software). I'm pretty satisfied with it.
    I didn't care for the last name 1st thing so I just added the whole name as I know it in the last name slot & now I can find everything a lot easier.

I maybe have 100 contacts? not sure but this works for me

SR66
  13.    #13  
    I've been playing with this for a little bit and while I haven't solved my original issue, I think I'm a little bit happier.

Meyerweb talked about how it didn't bother him to click down once to dial a number. I figured out that my issue mostly lied in the fact that I couldn't refine my search easily enough. Therefore, I was having to scroll down 12 times to find the right 'John'.

What I figured out was that you can search by the first letter of the first name and the first two of the last and have MUCH better luck. Since realizing this, I have been able to scroll down only one click on my contact searches. This still seems counter-productive, but is better none-the-less.

I'd still be interested in any other suggestions! Thanks a bunch for the ideas so far and the advice coming still!

GolferTrav
    Takephone is awesome. There are also some great skins for it to make it look great.

The developer is also very responsive to questions and hangs out here.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Phonemagic.com is my choice. Type Ford and you get contacts that have Ford as a first name, last name or company name. Once on your contact is selected you just press the nav to the right to get a list of all numbers. The lastest beta added SMS button to choice and Tone dialing too. Best feature is it has recently accessed number on top for easily redials.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I'm having a problems with Contacts also. Alot of my contacts are in Japanese and because of that, I can't just start typing in their name and have it jump right to them on the list. I always have to manually go up and down the list until I find who I'm looking for. Not the most efficient way to do it, especially while driving. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative programs or ways that I can make this work?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I love takephone. You just have to play with it for a while to really get a feel for all it can do (it has a lot of settings). I have used it since I had a 7135 and I love it.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Another vote for TakePhone. Been using it since my I500. The good thing is that it an overlay to the existing Palm databases and therefore pretty small. Not only can you dial but you can SMS from the contact name depending on the button pressed. Excellent program!!!!
    I have been a Palm user since 2000. I just purchased the Treo650 and have problems sorting contavcts by company name.

-Desktop sorts perfectly - Old IIIc sorts perfectly - but Treo650 doesn't

I spent 2 hours on the phone yesterday (7/20/06) with tech support and 1 hour today. One Palm tech (in the Philippines) admits there is a problem with the contact software and another tech (in FL) claims its a Verizon problem. They have looked at EVRYTHING and cant figure this out. (hard booted, softwareversion, etc)
    Has anyone experienced this (sorting by Company name)?
    I have 1600 contacts (customers, suppliers, fabricators, installers, etc)

Any Help would be greatly appreciated

Mike G
    Takephone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast