Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just a thought here... I remember reading something about verizon not allowing streaming. Yet ptunes is in the rom of their branded Treo700p. This caused me to wonder.

    1.Has anyone on Verizon incurred any additional charges from listening to streaming audio, watching streaming video, etc using just ptunes...

    2. How long have you listened to a stream? a few minutes, hours, days?

    3. How much data does ptunes streaming use? is this based on bitrate?

    4. Is streaming defined as sending, receiving or both?

    And finally, getting to the point...

    5. Is it ok using ptunes to listen to streaming radio for hours at a time under a verizon unlimited plan without incurring additional charges or being terminated?

    Just wondering, I haven't seen anything on my bill, but I've only experimented for a few minutes at a time, a few times. I would figure it is ok due to the fact it is included on the ROM. Experiences?

    Thanks.
  2. webedc's Avatar
    Posts
    492 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    Just a thought here... I remember reading something about verizon not allowing streaming.
    Well, I'm not sure where you read about Verizon not allowing streaming. It must be bad information.

    I've owned, used, and streamed both video and audio via my Verizon Treo 700p since it came out (so that means it's been over a month and one billing cycle). The streaming came through PTunes Deluxe (which is an add-on to the one in the ROM) and Kinoma - depending on the media type. I didn't log the time I spent but I've been streaming radio-casts and videos. My last bill has no additional charge.

    Maybe you're confused with tethering?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    Well, I'm not sure where you read about Verizon not allowing streaming. It must be bad information.

    I've owned, used, and streamed both video and audio via my Verizon Treo 700p since it came out (so that means it's been over a month and one billing cycle). The streaming came through PTunes Deluxe (which is an add-on to the one in the ROM) and Kinoma - depending on the media type. I didn't log the time I spent but I've been streaming radio-casts and videos. My last bill has no additional charge.

    Maybe you're confused with tethering?

    It's True...........................................
    http://www.evdoforums.com/about2366.html
  4. webedc's Avatar
    Posts
    492 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #4  
    In that thread nobody posted the cancellation letter requested by the admin. There's an entry that that says the cancellation claims are fake. At this point I'd be hesitant to believe it.

    If all the data traffic is consumed by the Treo, I cannot see how Verizon (or any carrier) can justifiably terminate the unlimited plan users because of usage. (Data generated by thetering, on the other hand, is another subject.)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    Well, I'm not sure where you read about Verizon not allowing streaming. It must be bad information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verizon Terms of Service
    Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerryr Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications & capabilities permit unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops, personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or BlackBerry Solutions, unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now or V CAST; (4) with server devices or with host computer applications, including without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine application; or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.
    So the rule exists, but the only means Verizon currently employs to detect this is overall usage rates. If you're pulling down over 3gb per month, you stick out like a sore thumb to Verizon. As someone who had his data service "interrupted" 3 times in the last 3 years due to "overuse," I can assure you they do monitor this.
  6. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
       #6  
    well how much is too much? what is overuse on an unlimited plan?

    and why include an applications in the ROM(ex Kinoma-exclusively for streaming, and ptunes- ability to play streams)?

    I'm all for people not abusing bandwidth, but I think a specific amount of data needs to be specified by verizon stating how much is too much!

    Kupe, what did they say to you when your service was interuppted? What amount per month of data were you using at the time?

    3gb really isn't that much nowadays...in my opinion.

    I just would like to listen to internet radio sometimes, for an hour or two at a time, but don't want any problems. I am happy with my service otherwise.I think if people are really getting their service interupted or teminated for this there should be a clear data use amount threshold.

    Also, I would be very suprised to hear people just using their native apps on the treo have these problems, although not too suprised.

    Anyone else have any experience good or bad? I may contact verizon in writing just to know from the source, what is ok...
  7. webedc's Avatar
    Posts
    492 Posts
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Verizon TOS
    Unlimited PDA/Smartphone and BlackBerryr Plans: These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets or other data networks except as the device’s native applications & capabilities permit unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops, personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or BlackBerry Solutions, unless you subscribe to the Tethering Feature; (3) for uploading, downloading or streaming of movies, music or games unless offered through Get It Now or V CAST; (4) with server devices or with host computer applications, including without limitation, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, telemetry applications, automated functions or any other machine-to-machine application; or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, and/or (5) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.
    As stated in #1, since PTunes and Kinoma are the device's native apps and capabilities I think streaming via these apps shall not violate the rules.

    For what is worth: My last bill's data usage was recorded at 388049Kb, which is about 378Mb. My usage in the prior month (which is when I had my Treo 650) was 39766 Kb. So my usage went up 10-fold.

    Anyway, I also believe that nobody shall abuse the bandwidth even though we've signed up the 'all-you-can-eat' plan. As these TOS terms are drafted in sometimes confusing terms, it warrants written confirmation from Verizon on how these terms apply on our Treo's. If #3 is followed to the tee, none of our Treos are allowed to stream at all because Get-It-Now or V-Cast are non existent in our units even if we are willing to pay for these services.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
  8. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
       #8  
    378 MB is including how much time spent listening to streaming?

    I believe 200-500MB as average treo usage from what I've seen...considering a page load in browser is anywhere from 300-600Kb it adds up pretty quick.Then add email, updating apps, and anything else you can shake a stick at...

Posting Permissions