1.    #1  
    Anyone use the Holux GPS 236 with GPS software? Is it a reliable unit?
    I have one that I use with TomTom and a Treo650. It is reliable, I'm happy with it (based on just a couple of weeks of use). Signal reception is amazing compared to other GPS I've used. I just leave it in the glove compartment and it works great. Seriously!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the input MikeBinOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnetty99
    Anyone use the Holux GPS 236 with GPS software? Is it a reliable unit?
    I use it, as one of two GPSs that I use with TomTom on a Treo 650. I also gave one to a friend who uses it on a motorcycle.

Its GPS function is comparable to that of an iTrek that I also use. The 236 operates for hours on its battery while the iTrek must always be plugged into power.

...............(See below.)

Incidentally, I bought this one on eBay for about half of list price including a hefty S&H charge. Do not remember the price but it was less than the S&H of $49.50.
    Last edited by whmurray; 07/21/2006 at 02:20 PM.
    I use a 236 all the time with my 650. I usually use it in the car where I leave it turned on and plugged in without the battery in it. That way, whenever the car is on (accessory power is on) the 236 is on and I don't have to worry about killing the battery by charging and discharging. Whenever I go to use it out of the car, I make sure the battery is charged up and take it with me. The battery life is great and I've used it both wired (serial) and wireless (bluetooth) with my Treo without problems.

I'm not sure what whmurray's problem is, because I've used it on battery, on power without battery and on power with battery all without issue. It's possible he has a defective unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabbith
    ..........I'm not sure what whmurray's problem is, because I've used it on battery, on power without battery and on power with battery all without issue. It's possible he has a defective unit.
    Very possible. I may buy another. I will check the prices on eBay?
    Love it as well.. I'd buy it again!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    .......However, at the present time, I cannot get the 236 to operate on external power; when I plug it in, it turns off. When I unplug, I can then turn it back on.
    Problem was the cable that I was using. Changed cables and it now works fine.
    i have no complaints with the device except,,, the time it takes for the unit to pair with satallite after u turn it on....?

it is taking a few minutes for the flashing orange to turn steady to state that it is synced with gps

why is the warm up time so long.... and it even takes longer if i have tomtom searching for the holux at the same time

another complaint now that i think about it is that fact that the unit doesnt turn off on its own... if no activity it should turn off automatically

looking into some alternative gps receivers to use with tomtom

anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://www.buygpsnow.com/bluetooth-gps_9.aspx
    Last edited by italiangspot; 08/29/2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    i have no complaints with the device except,,, the time it takes for the unit to pair with satallite after u turn it on....?

it is taking a few minutes for the flashing orange to turn steady to state that it is synced with gps

why is the warm up time so long.... and it even takes longer if i have tomtom searching for the holux at the same time

another complaint now that i think about it is that fact that the unit doesnt turn off on its own... if no activity it should turn off automatically

looking into some alternative gps receivers to use with tomtom

anyone have any experience with any of these?

http://www.buygpsnow.com/bluetooth-gps_9.aspx
    Takes a long time to pair if you are rolling.

Mine does turn off if the Treo is off or out of range.
    The TTFF (Time to First Fix) is mostly related to the chipset used by the GPS and the reception it is getting. The 236 has a SiRF III chipset which is usually considered one of the best (and fastest). You might have better luck if you added an external antenna, it's possible that where you start the reception is poor. The 236 should get a signal in about 45 seconds with good reception.

There are GPSs with auto-off, I've never tried one. I just leave my 236 plugged in to the car and don't worry about it. Then it's always on and ready when I need it. I even keep the battery out of the unit so I don't need to worry about overcharging it.
    i tried yesterday running tomtom then waiting for it to say looking for valid gps signal then turned on gps receiver, still took a few minutes for it to be recognized then at most i was only getting 7 satallites

did u guys hear about hte holux m1000, suppose to be a newer chipset and better then sirf III.......?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Holux-M1000-M-10...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by italiangspot; 08/30/2007 at 11:34 AM.
    I have the OnCourse Edition 3 receiver. Has SiRF III chipset and has WAAS enabled. Works great and has as an excellent TTF; plus, it is small, has an auto-off feature, and is inexpensive. I got mine for $49 with free shipping.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/OnCourse-Bl...bled)_882.aspx
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not! View Post
    I have the OnCourse Edition 3 receiver. Has SiRF III chipset and has WAAS enabled. Works great and has as an excellent TTF; plus, it is small, has an auto-off feature, and is inexpensive. I got mine for $49 with free shipping.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/OnCourse-Bl...bled)_882.aspx
    thats what i am debating right now.. that one or the new holux m1000

from the specs the holux seems better

tough decision, i like the way the oncourse looks better, lol

http://www.buygpsnow.com/holux-m1000...mount-826.aspx
    Be careful, if your problem is really reception, a new GPS isn't likely to help much (though it may help some). The only times I've ever had trouble with my 236 TTFF was when I had bad reception. You may be better served by buying an antenna for your 236 than a different GPS.
    the holux 236 was actually my friends i was testing out before i bought one for myself