Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a 650 on the way and am currently using a BB 8700c on cingular. I have the BB Unlimited plan with exchangemymail service for syncing up wirelessly since I am not on a corporate plan at work. In order to do this with the Treo what plan do you recommend? My average usage is just under 10mb / month.
    Media Max 200....$19.95/month
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Media Max 200....$19.95/month
    I don't see Media Max on Cing's website. All I want is email push and Internet. Is there a comparable plan like what is offered for the BB?
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Unlimited
    Unlimited. I'm in my first full month with my Treo and have blew through 110MB of data..... It gets addicting!
    True that It does get addicting...
    Technically you should get the PDA connect (i think it's 39.00)... technically.

What they are suggesting above is what MANY of us have done... and that is request a PHONE Media net, MEdia Works, Media MAX (the latest incarnation) for PHONEs only (and yet some smartphones except the Treo, beats me...)

THose will be the unlimited 19.99 or 29.99 plans that INCLUDE some messaging... it'll all depend on the CSR you contact, if they know what they are talking about they'll steer you to the PDA Connect, if they do not, then you can get away with the Media Max options...

(tho this is controversial because this is due to a loophole/technicality/ignorance on the part of the CSR)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    You can add it from your Cingular account online as well.

9.    #10  
    They put me on the 39.99 deal. I'll have to see what they called it.
    PDA Connect, you can tell them you want to cancel it and then go online to Cingular.com, login to your account and add MEdiaNet to your device. It's only 19.99/mo but don't get mad if you use DUN and get hit with pay per use charges. Technically you're not supposed to use DUN on MEdiaNet, and if they find out, they'll probably charge you for it. It's a risk most users take, as long as you don't go overboard and use Cingular as an ISP you should be fine. Or you could spend a ridiculous $40/mo and not have to worry about it....

I am with cingular and they stuck me on the 39.99 plan to, I think it is PDA unlimeted..
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetjunkies
    I don't see Media Max on Cing's website. All I want is email push and Internet. Is there a comparable plan like what is offered for the BB?
    Go to the cingular site and type in Media Max in the search window....it will bring yoiu here

https://www.cingular.com/media/media_purchase

Don't let the CSR's get any idea you need VPN or even mention BB.....they will tell you that you need something else for twice the price.

When the Treos came out, CSR's were told that they were like Blackberries. Since BB's need VPN, CSR's "assumed" that Treo's needed VPN and wanted to put you on the $39 plan so TS didn't ahve to take all those "I can't get my e-mail" calls. No need to try and fake anything....just tell them "I have Treo but do not need VPN" and they will have no reservations about giving you MediaMax
    IF you are willing to put the time, HAVE a CSR change it for you... OR as suggested ADD it online...

Goodluck, it should be possible... but your choice... cause you are on the 'correct' feature... o_O (more expensive)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I have done it four times with CSR's....never took more than minute and half.....most recently last month when I switched from MediaNet to MediaMax....when I saw that MediaMax 200 was same as MediaNet + 200 messages I said why not....but web site would let me add MediaMax or delete MediaNet but not both....so I called.

"Hi this is Christine, can I help you ?"

"Yes, I have a question.....Is MediaMax 200 the same as MediaNet + 200 messages ?"

"Let me check, ....yes....both $19.99 so you might as well take the messages. We also have other MediaMax plans.... What kind of phone do you have ?"

"I have a Treo 650 but since I don't need VPN, I skipped the PDA thing and just did MediaNet."

"That's right, if you needed VPN like on a Blackberry or if you wanted to bore in to a private e-mail server you'd need PDAConnect".....all done....anything else I can help you with ?"

"Well you could credit me for my next 6 months of usage .....haha"

"No, I don't think the system would let me do that, have a nice day now and thank you for using Cingular"

Then about 2-3 days later I notice that I don't have data service so I call back.

"Hi this is Delia, how can I help you today ?"

"I switched from mediNet to MediaMax 2-3 days ago and while it seems they got MediaNet off, it seems the MediaMax didn't "stick".

"OK, let me check....what kind of phone do you have ?"

"Treo 650"

"Are you trying to access a private e-mail server"

"No."

"Yes I see the switch on your account....let me try it again, but I want you to hold on like a minute and try it....ok try it now"

"It works"

"You won't be charged for the days you didn't have service, anything else I can help you with ?"

"No thanks"

"Thank you forusing Cingular"

The second call took longer cause we actually waited the minute to test it but it went quick and smooth.
  15.    #16  
    Seems I'll be calling Cingular today. This hasen't been a hassel free move from the BB. I used exchangemymail and when I went into my Outlook to get rid of it I lost most everything in my Inbox. Strange. Now my email seems to be working but I can't get Versamail to work. How often does the Treo "check" for email?
    You need to set it to download emails.
  17.    #18  
    It was set up correctly I just didn't scroll from Versamail to my email. Now seems the only problem is the dreaded 550 error. I can't send a email to any family members with the same xxxxx.org email address. Any way around this? My email (Adelphia) does not support SSL.
    Those errors are not client side, it means there is a problem with something on the server, whether it's an authentication problem or just aggressive security policies...

These kind of errors usually vary from server to server, but to give you an idea, most 550 errors on my server are related to relaying and authentication. I would check to see that you have proper authentication settings. Most servers are closed relay, so they require either the ESMTP/SMTP AUTH service extension or POP before SMTP. Try that.

19.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Those errors are not client side, it means there is a problem with something on the server, whether it's an authentication problem or just aggressive security policies...

These kind of errors usually vary from server to server, but to give you an idea, most 550 errors on my server are related to relaying and authentication. I would check to see that you have proper authentication settings. Most servers are closed relay, so they require either the ESMTP/SMTP AUTH service extension or POP before SMTP. Try that.
    Is this a Treo specific problem? I've never seen these errors with my BB 8700c.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast