1.    #1  
    (WIN-XP PRO) I was suddenly unable to HOTSYNC. When I hit the Hotsync button I get the Windows message asking me to load or locate the Treo650 drivers. In device manager I get the ?PALM HANDHELD? listing under "other devices" with the yellow question mark next to it.

I have done the following:

o Removed the device (uninstalled it) from device manager.
    o Unistalled and reinstalled the Palm Software 3 times (and deleted the entire Palm folder)
    o Used SYSTEM RESTORE to go back to 5 different points where it was working fine but isn't now
    O Tried 2 different cables and a cradle

I am at a loss here. When the Windows "search for drivers" message comes up I have tried to let it find automatically and also point to the TREO CD but it can never find the proper drivers. I googled for TREO 650 USB drivers but the only thing that comes up is some 2002 USB drivers that don't work either.

I have been messing with custom roms but everything has been working fine both on the 650 and hotsync up until today.

I consider myself a pretty advanced PC user but can't figure this one out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
  2.    #2  
    Hellllp!
    Do you have a file list for your custom ROM? Maybe you deleted something you shouldn't have...

4.    #4  
    I downloaded a "stripped" rom. Do you think that would lead to the PC not being able to load the 650 drivers? When I connect the 650 and press the sync button the PC starts looking for the 650 drivers. Do any of the drivers come off the 650 when SYNCing? I will try recopying all the original stripped rom files back over to the folder I use to upload and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Do you have a file list for your custom ROM? Maybe you deleted something you shouldn't have...
    Eek, you didn't backup your ROM? That's not good!

I've hacked around Windows to the point where it no longer allows me to add new hardware, have you been messing with any registry settings or system folders?

Also, you may want to do some more testing before you assume it's a Treo problem. Do you dual boot Linux or have a Live CD? Plug you device in and press the HotSync button, monitor /var/log/messages to see if Linux can detect the type of device (at the very least). If it does, it's a Windows problem.

6.    #6  
    I have backups of everything. This is Windows XP not Linux. Problem is when I hit Hotsync the PC asks for TREO DRIVERS. They are nowhere to be had. I don't think it has anything to do with the 650 although I am going to try to restore to the original ROM. It seems to be a PC issue. Hardware is identified but it is looking ofr the drivers.

Eek, you didn't backup your ROM? That's not good!

I've hacked around Windows to the point where it no longer allows me to add new hardware, have you been messing with any registry settings or system folders?

Also, you may want to do some more testing before you assume it's a Treo problem. Do you dual boot Linux or have a Live CD? Plug you device in and press the HotSync button, monitor /var/log/messages to see if Linux can detect the type of device (at the very least). If it does, it's a Windows problem.
    I had that happen once. An uninstall and re-install of the Palm Desktop solved it.
    - Wouter
    I know the problem exists in a Windows environment. I meant that you should try syncing under Linux to make sure that the problem IS Windows and not the Treo. That way you know whether it was because you did something with the ROM or something with Windows.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    i had that happen to mine and did a hard reset before it would see it again. i then created a new user and only recopied information i wanted. i also installed evrythign one program at a time to see which one caused the glitch. but then again windows is always a problem on computers isn't it. do you have a second computer you can sync it to to check it out?
    "Never Put off until tomorrow
    what you can do the day after tomorrow"
    --Mark Twain

PalmIII => Sony Clie' => Dell Axim X30 => Treo 650 and loving it
  10.    #10  
    Everyone doesn't keep a Linux computer around. The closest thing to a Linux box I have are my Tivos.

Problem was resolved by doing a hard reset AFTER uploading the custom ROM.

I know the problem exists in a Windows environment. I meant that you should try syncing under Linux to make sure that the problem IS Windows and not the Treo. That way you know whether it was because you did something with the ROM or something with Windows.
  11.    #11  
    Hard reset solved it around 3AM this morning. All that wasted time. After uploading the custom rom it needed the reset
    Quote Originally Posted by truoc444
    i had that happen to mine and did a hard reset before it would see it again. i then created a new user and only recopied information i wanted. i also installed evrythign one program at a time to see which one caused the glitch. but then again windows is always a problem on computers isn't it. do you have a second computer you can sync it to to check it out?