1.    #1  
    I just got off the phone with Verizon and they say the phone is locked and the original person needs to sign up to a 2 yr plan inorder for it to be unlocked. I've naturally sent him a not so happy email seeing he advertized it as unlocked.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice. I've been waiting awhile to get one since Verizon didn't want to give me the discount yet till sept.

Thx
    Well, I hate to say it but you really should have done your homework. Get the ESN, call Verizon and check. If they are unwilling to give you the ESN, don't buy it. I have seen this SO MANY times and no one really seems to think twice about getting one on Ebay. Hopefully you used a credit card or Pay Pal where you have a chance of getting your money back. Outside of that, there is nothing you can do. Sorry to say, but you got had. Verizon MAY be willing to work something out with you on getting another one at a discounted price if you give them your story. I don't know for sure, I know someone did that with Sprint, but I am not sure with Verizon. Good luck-
  3.    #3  
    I did buy thru paypal, and have a lot of evidence to back up my side so I will get my money if he decides not to come thru. I did read online about taking the phone to a special shops and they'll unlock it for a fee of 20-30 dollars. Anyone know if this is true?
    unlocking is NOT done with cdma... the ESN is flagged and can't be used except with the original buyer for whatever reason... Do not confuse this with a "locked" device...
    UNLESS the OP is trying to remove the subsidy lock and use it on another carrier (i.e. Alltel). IIRC, Verizon has begun to subsidy lock their hardware, although they didn't do so in the past.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhereinAZ
    I just got off the phone with Verizon and they say the phone is locked and the original person needs to sign up to a 2 yr plan inorder for it to be unlocked.
    If I had to guess, I'd say the seller got his hands on one from a reseller (for a contract commitment) at a rock-bottom price, then jacked it up and posted on eBay.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Sounds like it, but I don't think he did a professional scam artist, probably just someone who thought they could make a quick buck, or he would have chosen a different payment technique.
  8.    #8  
    Everything is fine. He just didn't know that he had so sign a 2 yr agreement to unlock it so he did and I'm set. Thx guys for the input!!
    unlock and CDMA doesn't sound right.

you should say ESN RELEASE, rather than 'unlock'

Unlocking refers to GSM subsidary unlocking.