1.    #1  
    So with my T650 I used pdanet and it worked flawlessly. I just ordered a new 700p and it will be here in a few days. However, I understand from the people at sprint that unlimited data usage will cost $39.99 per month. This is horrible as I could use the T650 for free! Is there an option other than the one offered by sprint. I should add that I'm not really comfortable with "hacking" my phone but if this is the only way and someone knows how to explain it to an ***** I'll do it as a last resort. Thanks and sorry if this has already been addressed.

Chislemonkey/Rick
    before 1000 people tell you to do a search because its been discussed in a Gazillion threads (i dont know if gazillion is a number) but if you dont want to use the hack, there is a version of PDANET for the 700p, altho i have been using the hack since i got my 700 when it first came out, and have had no problem, just curious, what fun would a Treo be without Hacking and installing all types of crap in it?
    I use latest PdaNet with 700P and it works
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    hacks if applicable are always preferable to me in any event, so pdanet is not an option for me as long my treo plays nice with the hack.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    do a search because it's in a gazillion threads already !!! =P
    Quote Originally Posted by muncheroo
    do a search because it's in a gazillion threads already !!! =P
    you didnt do this yourself,telling chiselmonkey to do a search when you didnt even search this thread to see that someone told him the same thing you said already,so let me remind you as well :
    DO A SEARCH FIRST haha!!
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    i am using the hack for the first time right now, I had a very hard time getting it to work a couple weeks back, started over once tonight and works great, pretty fast, going on vacation tomorrow will take it out on the SC beach and see how she handles it haha.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    psst... search field = "tethered hack"... *cough cough***
    I agree why pay $40 or whatever PDANET charges, when the hack is free and works pretty well for mostly everybody.
    usbmodem works well for me as well. can be had for $25, though I paid 15 in a promotion.
  11.    #11  
    Ok so both the hack and PDAnet work. last question. Will I or will I not be caught by sprint and charged for the extra data usage? BTW I have found the tethered hack thread and I can't see a consensus on this question.

Chiselmonkey/Rick
    well Chisler, if you are going to steal, you might get caught.

Act accordingly.

PDANet does have proxy mode which is not detectable by Sprint (looks just like browser traffic). This may help.

If you abuse it, though, you might get caught.

so, drop any cakes lately?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

so, drop any cakes lately?

I think I'm confused -- so what else is new. Whether or not you use the hack, PDAnet, or USB Modem, you still need a data plan otherwise you will be charged per kilobyte, correct? Or do any of these solutions actually allow you to essentially "steal" data without needing a data plan of any kind?

I am under the impression that if I were to cancel my data plan, then I would still be charged for incremental data usage even with these hacks -- but I would NOT be charged a PAM fee. Is this correct? If this is correct, then the OP needs to subscribe to a data plan regardless -- what he is saving on is the PAM fee, right?
    You need at least a basic data plan( like power vision access ) with PDAnet - you don't need the PAM plan - if you use PDAnet with the proxy mode.
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P