Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this is a very subjective question, but is it worth upgrading to the 700p at the moment? with all the negative feedback I am seeing I am wondering if the benefits outwiegh the problems...?
    In my opinion if you are coming from a very well sorted 650 and don't need the EVDO speeds then I would wait until first ROM update before upgrading. If you are coming from a 600 like I was I would say do it yesterday.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I don't know- I was hesitant too, seeing what appeared to be 85% of units being returned. I upgraded and I am thrilled.

Of course, I was coming from an early production 650 with horrible sound that had I known about this site then, would have returned ages ago.

I didn't think EVDO would make a big difference- it does and its huge.

If you are sprint- call retentions- they should be able to offer you some money off- if that makes sense, I suggest you go for it.

Last note- as a phone, the 700p is, imho, much better than the 650 and worth the hassle of upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett
    I don't know- I was hesitant too, seeing what appeared to be 85% of units being returned. I upgraded and I am thrilled.

Of course, I was coming from an early production 650 with horrible sound that had I known about this site then, would have returned ages ago.

I didn't think EVDO would make a big difference- it does and its huge.

If you are sprint- call retentions- they should be able to offer you some money off- if that makes sense, I suggest you go for it.

Last note- as a phone, the 700p is, imho, much better than the 650 and worth the hassle of upgrading.
    Where did you get 85% from...the influx of newbies and members that have been under a rock until now posters along with others posting only with issues has nothing to do with 700 owners with little to no problems that aren't posting up the boards at this moment.
    at&t iPhone3G
    My 700p rocks. Upgrade as soon as possible.
    Where the hell does 85% come from?!?!?!?! That's funny.
    In my opimion, I agree with the previous posting. The 700P is worth the upgrade. In the New York area, EVDO works great and I have had very few resets on my 700P.
    I have absolutely no problems with my 700p - most of the problems I have seen have been incompatible apps a.k.a. verichat. I have no problems with the 700p itself.
    I am of mixed mind. If you are on Sprint or Verizon, I would definately upgrade. If on the other hand you need the global roaming capabilities of the GSM 650 I would hold off.

If you are on GSM and don't need the international roaming, I'd probably go for it. Web browsing is actually useful with EVDO, and not to mention streaming audio, and application updates are a breeze.

Then again if you have an unlocked Treo on T-Mobile, the data plan is really inexpensive.
    I upgraded from a 650 with some syncing problems, but even if it were 100% perfect, I still think upgrading would have been the right move. The 700 is really nice.
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    I think I've seen only 3 people on here who have returned their 700p's... mine is rock solid and I love it. 85% is a bold number to throw out there... friend of mine works in a spriont store and he said they flew off the shelves with no returns at all... Where are you getting this info from?
    I debated this question for at least a month. When my 650 took a dip in the toilet, it was easier to make up my mind!

I've had the 700P for two weeks now. I've had no issues or problems. The high speed internet really, really rocks. The extra memory wasn't a big deal since I use PowerRun and keep many apps on the SD card. I was able to move a couple that took a while to load into RAM. The camera is at least useable (with good lighting). Battery life has been a bit of a downer, but I have an extended battery and a charger for the spare, so that hasn't been a huge issue.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yeah, I agree with one of the other posters, if you don't have EVDO in your area, don't upgrade. The #1 best feature of the 700p is EVDO. Otherwise, it's really just a 650 with a better camera and more memory.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Yeah, I agree with one of the other posters, if you don't have EVDO in your area, don't upgrade. The #1 best feature of the 700p is EVDO. Otherwise, it's really just a 650 with a better camera and more memory.

Joe
    ...unless you come across a great deal. That's why I upgraded.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    I upgraded 'cause I wanted to and was looking for a more stable platform. My Sprint Treo 650 started life as a very unstable child; the addition of a few 3rd party programs though took care of that problem. The 700p for me has been really good until yesterday when it joined the ranks of going real slow - I had to delete some records from HanDBase in order for it to start working right again. No resets since the first day.

Ben
    The biggest problem with the 700p is the speed. If you never use pTunes, TCPMP or work with programs with large database files, you might never notice. If you do use those programs, the speed of the 700p is bad enough to make them unusable at times. That'd be the reason to wait for the first ROM update. Hopefully it will fix the battery drain problem as well.

Otherwise, EVDO, BT1.2 and the better earpiece are why I'd upgrade to the 700p. I could care less about the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97

Joe

I don't live in EVDO (for another 3 weeks), but I went from a 600. Totally worth it. Especially for only $400. Upgrading to a 650 off ebay would be at least $200.
    ----

Sprint Treo 700p
    I went from the GSM 650 to the Verizon 700p for better Verizon reception at work and for EVDO. If you really want EVDO then it's probably worth it. I have to say I am frustrated with lag in switching apps and bluetooth flakiness. If I had it to do again, I'm not sure I would.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    going from a 600 to 700p has been amazing. use only programs that are proven to work on the 700p and you're golden. i love mine.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    In my opinion, if you don't need the EVDO, I would hold off until Palm/Sprint works out some of the bugs AND when some of the more popular 3rd party apps are fully tested for the 700p.

Of course, I didn't NEED EVDO when I upgraded from the 650 to the 700p. :-D I am getting more resets on my 700p then the 2nd 650 I had. The first 650 I had when it first came out reset constantly. I mean 10-20 times a day. I remember watching TV with the phone on the table and I would hear it resetting. I would just shake my head. My 2nd 650 reset maybe once a month. Right now, I'm getting resets about 2-3 times a day on my 700p. This is with the same apps I was using with the 650 (only Goodlink, DA, Docs2Go, which is now included, TCPMC, and Filez). I only had those new apps because I ran out of memory on the old 650 even with Docs2Go moved to the SD card. I have all that loaded on the 700p and still have about 40Mb left. I don't know what to do with all the memory available. :-D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast