Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hey I'm thinking of getting either a Treo 700P or a Blackberry 7130e. I currently am on T-mobile with an 8700G and I love it. Obviously I'm porting to sprint to eat up the EVDO sexy speed. I had the Treo 700P for 2 days a while back and one annoyance was definitely the ringtone volume. Mp3 ringtones (m4a) sounded too bassy and just overall crappy and low. Has Volume care improved this for you guys? I didnt get a chance to really play with the phone, but the web browsing was really nice. To be honest I'm leaning more towards the 7130e because of reliability and just a rock solid OS...but I AM considering the 700P just because it seems as though you can do more, not to mention a full querty keyboard. As silly as it may sound, ringtones are a HUGE thing for me. My 8700G ringtones are nice and super loud on my 8700G and I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same on the 7130e. The 700P I cannot vouch for as of yet. The 8700g keyboard is very responsive on the 8700G, and I'm sure the 7130e may be a learning curve but probably is the same. 700P Keyboard feels like it protrudes catering to the 1 finger typer. Let me know what you guys think. I'll be leaving to sprint within the hour.
    You are kidding right? You are posting this on a Treo website?
    If sound quality of ring tones is your main priority, I would suggest you listen to all of the phones you are interested in and decide from there. Volume Care will boost the sound but it's not going to overcome a low quality speaker. Why not look at something that offers stereo output?

You also mention reliability and rock solid OS of the 7130e, but you indicate you like that you can do more with the 700p. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. You should expect some stability issues if you want to tweak your phone and/or add applications. If you run it stock, it is much more likely to be stable.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ksmith80209: No i'm not kidding. I am reading tons of reviews around various forums and the likes. So I don't mind if the opinion is a little biased. Besides..I've owned a treo probably the longest out of all my PDAs. (treo 600 back in the day). I've used every PDA on the planet. Except the 7130e..but i'm sure its not too different than the 8700.

Yea MarkY, hence the saying "There is no perfect device". I guess I just gotta see which will fit my needs the best.
    the blackberry might be rock solid- but I was on tech support with sprint this am and asked which was easier for them to fix, the treo and the blackberry - and they said with the blackberry you would get to a certain point in trouble shooting where you would just reset the system.

Granted, the palm suffers resets and freezes, but usually, I can fix things myself.

Once my blackberry at work went funny, it was back to tech support for it.

I wouldn't judge that solid.

You might want to try volume on diff unit with 700p- mine's fine and on the 650 it was unusuable.

the neat thing about the keyboard on the 7100 series is that thing does work- I think I like it better than a full keyboard- but I could never navigate and not having a touch screen to me is a non starter.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I always feel like a navigate/multitask better with a trackwheel and not having a touch screen ..probably because I'm used to shortcuts on the blackberry and the sidekick 2/3. I 'm sure with the 700P I could probably figure out some shortcuts and bring functionality back to the forefront. I LOVE THREADED SMS!!!!!. Wow this is a super hard decision. Seems as though you can do a lot more on the Treo 700P. How is web browsing? I mean how are pages formulated for both devices? secure sites (banking, etc)?
    Quote Originally Posted by dialekt
    I always feel like a navigate/multitask better with a trackwheel and not having a touch screen ..probably because I'm used to shortcuts on the blackberry and the sidekick 2/3. I 'm sure with the 700P I could probably figure out some shortcuts and bring functionality back to the forefront. I LOVE THREADED SMS!!!!!. Wow this is a super hard decision. Seems as though you can do a lot more on the Treo 700P. How is web browsing? I mean how are pages formulated for both devices? secure sites (banking, etc)?
    You have two weeks to try it out- I'd suggest getting the TREO & if that doesn't work, return and get the 7130.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ok ..well i'm gonna go to sprint now..hey did they fix the contacts thing where it would only show last names first? because that's honestly SUPER WEAK. lol

wow i wonder what's gonna happen in the next 2-3 hours..
    Quote Originally Posted by dialekt
    ok ..well i'm gonna go to sprint now..hey did they fix the contacts thing where it would only show last names first? because that's honestly SUPER WEAK. lol

wow i wonder what's gonna happen in the next 2-3 hours..
    There's a fix for it.
    I think you did a good job of outlining the strengths of the treo (do more stuff) over the BB (more stable). It's up to you to make the decision. I went with the treo.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    So I bought the treo 700p....the battery on the demo model of the 7130e died after using it for 2 minutes. Suretype sure was pretty darn smart. Double tap wasn't too bad either. treos screen looked a tad bit clearer + bigger. I guess ill be home in a few hours after my number porteed over to give it a shot. Anyone know if the treo 700p has a way to sort the contacts by first name, then last?...

This is gonna be a nice long night. These are the things I wanna do off the bat:

Improve the ringtone volume,

Load up m4a ringtones,

Have contacts displayed first then last,

Setup email so its close to push as possible. I had success with versamail before,

Avoid any mp3 skipping problems,

Plenty of other things I could squeeze in there...but when I get home. I'm gonna have to click the huge search button to find where I can get extended battery,
    Case, etc, (but I won't buy none of that stuff yet until I get the treo 700p working the way I want it)

Thanks for helping me gain non biased opinions. This forum rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigDee
    There's a fix for it.
    What would that be. That bothers me too. How can I sort First Name, Last Name or like my Outlook sorts it by Full Name. Hard to find a contact the way it is now.

Any help is appreciated.
    dialekt:

As for the email. I strongly recommend Chatteremail if you are used to the push. I am a recent convert from the bb, and it is excellent. Best of luck, I think you made a good decision.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Nice. I also tend to wonder what the future holds for the palm platform. I do see a very bright future for rim and the bb...but its always been like that since they are the standard for businesses/government.

How many people are browsing in wide mode vs optimized mode....? Gosh I wish I was home already so I could google like a psychopath!! I'm excited. 20 minutes till I'm home. Hopefully porting should complete soon.
    Check out this list of 700p software.

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/...00p_addon.html