1.    #1  
    I have had a Verizon 700p from day one and have worked out many issues. The one thing that is still bothering me is that about once a day when I start Web I get a reset. I doesn't matter if I launch it from the Phone app or Launcher X. Any ideas on this one?
    The answer is very simple. It lies in the HUGE cache requirements of Blazer. It fills and then does NOT dump the cache after usage. There is a selection under preferences that is supposed to take care of this but does not. Cache simply fills, fragments and then resets to clear itself out. There are many other posts on this issue as well. I would suggest either manually doing a flush with a program like unCache or DBCache tool or a host of others to do the same thing. OffFlush does the same thing with a screen power off and I use it all the time. Blazer and the dBcache on this phone is a real problem.

Regards,

Jim
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, DrCJ! I'll try OffFlush.
    offflush did some wierd stuff to my 700p screen and then locked it up. The screen started to turn inversed colors starting at the top then working down the screen till all the screen colors were inverted. Had to reset it and then reset it again into the non-running-program mode tp delete it when the same thing happened again
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    checking "empty cache at exit" under blazer preferences worked for me. no resets due to blazer for me from day one though.
  6.    #6  
    DrCJ, can you explain exactly how you use OffFlush?
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treodub
    checking "empty cache at exit" under blazer preferences worked for me. no resets due to blazer for me from day one though.
    I use empty cache on exit but I still get resets. I have that wonderful freeware KeyguardTime on my 700p which shows the NVFS amount. When that number gets into the 75% neighborhood, Blazer never fails to crash. I kept tracking this number, seeing it steadily increase as I went in and out of applications, but it never decreases, even when exiting Blazer with "empty cache on exit" checked. It is thus inevitable that Blazer will crash because the number will eventually increase beyond its tolerance. After the reset the cache is number is back down to 31% which gives you a little life. I would like the find a program to manage this but OffFlush scared me since it is not supported by anyone and I don't know what settings to use. I tried to use it once with the default settings and my 700p got hung. If anyone knows of such an app and how to use it please let me know.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
  8.    #8  
    OK. I now have dbCache working to prevent resets. Way it works is when exiting every application it checks the cache. When it reaches the set theshold it notifies you and proceeds to reduce the cache usage to well below the level that causes Blazer to crash. It takes a while, but less time than a reboot or a crash. Here are the settings I use:

Cleartype - DB
    Safe Mode - Checked
    App Stop - Checked
    Ctrl tap - unchecked
    Auto Clear - On
    Free < 6M (this is the correct number, believe me)
    Max < 0
    Ask after soft reset - unchecked
    Clear after soft reset - unchecked
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    OK. I now have dbCache working to prevent resets. Way it works is when exiting every application it checks the cache. When it reaches the set theshold it notifies you and proceeds to reduce the cache usage to well below the level that causes Blazer to crash. It takes a while, but less time than a reboot or a crash. Here are the settings I use:

Cleartype - DB
    Safe Mode - Checked
    App Stop - Checked
    Ctrl tap - unchecked
    Auto Clear - On
    Free < 6M (this is the correct number, believe me)
    Max < 0
    Ask after soft reset - unchecked
    Clear after soft reset - unchecked
    VF,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. All of these utilities such as dBCache Tool and unCache work relatively the same way. I have dBCache tool installed on my 700 but by far and away favor unCache. unCache is FASTER, but LESS CONVENIENT. You can set up dBCache tool as you have done and it automates the process. Unfortunately, unCache requires manual intervention. UnCache exists as a free standing application that can be set up to dump the cache when you hit the power button only or you can do this manually via a DA application. Personally I run the DA via the ZLauncer tool bar BEFORE I run Blazer and BEFORE I do any backup. Fortunately, Resco Backup now clears cache before and after running so that problem is less of an issue.

In head to head tests, I have found that unCache empties the cache more completely, more quickly, but NOT in an automated fashion. dBCache tool takes longer by minutes, and does not seem to empty completely on m 700 BUT it can be automated.

Personally, I love unCache and seldom to NEVER use dBCache tool. I find it invaluable to the use of blazer. However, since I have been using Opra, this has also not been so much of an issue. If you follow your cache closely before/after favorite applications you will see which has been naughty/nice to cache. You will see dynamic fluxes of cache but you will see which application does not unload itself fully. Clearly blazer is a POS in my opinion because it is the worst offender. Using the clear cache function seems to only partially work in the Blazer preferences. Considering all you have to do to use Blazer it would seem that web browsing would be almost useless. To borrow from an old british saying, " Is the juice really worth the squeeze?"

Regards,

Jim
  10.    #10  
    Very interesting, Dr. CJ. DB Cache takes 1 minute and 15 seconds to clear which can be problematic if it happens at the wrong time. On the other hand, even though I have Keyguard Time to check the cache with one button I rarely do so. I'll give unCache a try as a more proactive solution.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Would you guys mind posting the links to both unCache and dbCache? I tried looking them up but couldn't. Thanks!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I found the link to DBCacheTool here (but I still cannot find UnCache unless you're referring to the one offered by PowerUps).

When I read the above link for DBCacheTool, the author suggested these settings:

clear type: DB (not entirely sure what the hotsync alternative does)
    safe mode: checked ('safe' sounded good)
    auto clear: on (to make it automatically run when needed - see free < and max < settings below)
    ask at softreset: not checked (annoying when checked and can cause conflicts with other apps during a reset)
    clear at softreset: not checked (clearing too early cause problems with other apps during a reset)
    free < 3M
    max < 1M

They are almost the same as suggested earlier except the "free" and "max". (vflopez recommends Free < 6M and Max < 0) What do you guys recommend?
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Quote Originally Posted by treodub
    I'll try this first. Each time I start Blazer I duck, expecting a reset, sometimes it pulls through for me though.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc
    I found the link to DBCacheTool here (but I still cannot find UnCache unless you're referring to the one offered by PowerUps).

When I read the above link for DBCacheTool, the author suggested these settings:

clear type: DB (not entirely sure what the hotsync alternative does)
    safe mode: checked ('safe' sounded good)
    auto clear: on (to make it automatically run when needed - see free < and max < settings below)
    ask at softreset: not checked (annoying when checked and can cause conflicts with other apps during a reset)
    clear at softreset: not checked (clearing too early cause problems with other apps during a reset)
    free < 3M
    max < 1M

They are almost the same as suggested earlier except the "free" and "max". (vflopez recommends Free < 6M and Max < 0) What do you guys recommend?
    I can definitely verify that you need to set the "Free" setting to <6M. When I set it to 5M, Blazer resets. I don't know what the "Max" setting does. Here is a direct link to the DB Cache Tool page:

http://www.jade.dti.ne.jp/~imazeki/palm/DBcT/

Be aware that this set up (see my earlier post) will clear the cache when needed, but will take 1 minute and 15 seconds to do so (at least on my Treo). This can seem like an eternity and you may think it is frozen and be tempted to reset the device. Try waiting 2 minutes first and your Treo will come back with the cache cleared. When Blazer resets, it takes longer than that to come back.