1.    #1  
    I know this has been a tread more than once but no clear answer.
    I see that there are treo folks that have more than one back up program on their treo's. my question is why?
    can someone that has used more than one of them explain.?
    I just downloaded the trial of backupman. (I thought that was enough. still a novice with this back up stuff ) Then as i read through the site i see there are a lot of users with more than one back up program.
    Which two should i put together and why?
    im using a 1 gig card
    Last edited by comedytreogirl; 07/10/2006 at 08:52 PM.
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    comedytreogirl,
    I use only one-BackupMan. It works well with my Treo 700p as it did on my Treo 600 (previous BackupMan version.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by comedytreogirl
    I know this has been a tread more than once but no clear answer.
    I see that there are treo folks that have more than one back up program on their treo's. my question is why?
    I think the reason some people have more than one program is they get two different things from them:

1. one app to backup the device to the SD card
    2. one app to backup the SD card to either their PC or to a hosted online server

Having both is a good idea for some. A cheaper way to do it is have a normal backup app (#1) and manually copy your SD card to your notebook/desktop periodically. I do this and it works for me, but I'm not knocking anyone who likes everything done automagically.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Backupman works great, except it hogs usable memory after backup on the 700p, until the phone is soft reset, that is nuissance if you are using chattermail and your system becomes unstable. Despite that I still like backupman, because it gives the best backup for recovery, in case of a hard reset, you can count on backupman to give you a full complete recovery without a hiccup. That said, meet backupbuddy, backupbuddy backsup in different ways, it physically copies each file to a memory card where it can be easily accessed with a file manager, so you can see the actual files, beam them copy them and move them without the help of the back up program, and until recently backupbuddy was the one software that would allow you to pick and chose files to be backedup after you turned off your treo, and it now allows you to backup over the air to a net location. In the past, and I have not tried that recently, backupbuddy was not able to recover my treo back completly after a hard reset, I haven't tried this recently.
    Hope that helped answer the question.
    -Labib
    BackupManager is what I use to backup to the SD card on a nightly schedule. It is very handy to use it, 'cause you just might find yourself in a wild and crazy place in the middle of nowhere (on the stage) and when you need it, it crashes! and with BackupManager, cause it does the backup thing to the card, you can restore right there, in the wild and crazy place in the middle of nowhere (on the stage). Without BackupManager, you are just plain out of luck until you get to your other computer to restore...they both have their big advantages.

Ben
    It's the suspenders plus belt scenario.
    Actually it is more on the order of redundancy of systems that is common in the IT world. Never, never trust your backup to one solution. Personally, I use RescoBackup but also use BackuBuddyVFS in addition. It is very safe protection to have some redundancy. More like the old saying of not putting all of one's eggs in one basket.
    Oh, one other thing! Take care with scheduled backups. They will continue to do their job and you will fill a 1G card in no time with backup files. If you back up more than once per day, you will need to remind yourself to periodically delete obsolete backup sets otherwise you will be out of storage memory.
    1. They bought one program and have since switched to a freebie.
    2. One does backups to desktop / other to SD card Like BackUpBuddy Pro Bundle (includes both BUBP for desktop and BUBP VFS for SD)
    3. They added an on line backup program which saves to net.
    4. They added an incremental backup program like OnGuard from Northglide which backs up instantaneously as you make changes.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I have recently started to use both Backupman and NVbackup. I started using NVbackup because backupman does not backup java, and that must be reinstalled.

I have started to really like NVbackup because its free, has auto and manual backups, allows encryption, selective restore of individual files, export of backups to an ftp server, and more.

The only downside is I am told it won't restore if there has been an OS update. I don't know if this means changing devices only, or if it includes a firmware update.

Therefore, until I figure that out, I have both programs set up autobackup (a cycle of 2) and one manual backup of each.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
  11.    #11  
    [QUOTE=DrCJ]Oh, one other thing! Take care with scheduled backups. They will continue to do their job and you will fill a 1G card in no time with backup files. If you back up more than once per day, you will need to remind yourself to periodically delete obsolete backup sets otherwise you will be out of storage memory.[/QUOT
    iM USING BACK UP MAN AND I ONLY BAACK UP WHEN I HAVE INSTALLED NEW DATA SO RIGHT NOW ONLY ONE BACKUP IS ON MY CARD
    QUESTION HOW FO I DELETE OLD ONES ONCE THEY ARE PUT ON THE CARD?
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    Oh, one other thing! Take care with scheduled backups. They will continue to do their job and you will fill a 1G card in no time with backup files. If you back up more than once per day, you will need to remind yourself to periodically delete obsolete backup sets otherwise you will be out of storage memory.
    With Backupman, you can choose how many scheduled backups to keep. I have mine set to 3, so it automatically deletes the oldest when it puts the 3rd on my card.

iM USING BACK UP MAN AND I ONLY BAACK UP WHEN I HAVE INSTALLED NEW DATA SO RIGHT NOW ONLY ONE BACKUP IS ON MY CARD
    QUESTION HOW FO I DELETE OLD ONES ONCE THEY ARE PUT ON THE CARD?
    Open BackupMan, highlight one of the backup sets in the window, hit the menu button, then chhose delete set.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  13.    #13  
    thanks
    [QUOTE=ink883]I have recently started to use both Backupman and NVbackup. I started using NVbackup because backupman does not backup java, and that must be reinstalled. QUOTE]

I was under the impression the most current versionn (v2.03) did back up java. I certainly could be wrong about that.

I know the previous versions did not.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    I was under the impression the most current versionn (v2.03) did back up java. I certainly could be wrong about that.
    The latest version of backupman is 2.1 and it does not backup java (this was confirmed by the developer via email).

This is unfortunate because that was the only problem with otherwise outstanding software.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    What can be done is with a 3rd party launcher such as ZLauncher, copy Java to the application folder and launch them both from there. It works for me. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    The latest version of backupman is 2.1 and it does not backup java (this was confirmed by the developer via email).

This is unfortunate because that was the only problem with otherwise outstanding software.
    ink883,
    Tks for the clarification on the latest version and java. I downloaded what I thought was the most recent version in early June after I received my 700p and didn't realized it was updated afterwards.
    Tks Again
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Heads up to those of you using Treo 700p and the lastest version of BackupMan v2.1.

I noticed that keyguard was preventing my scheduled daily backup. Below is the the repsonse from tech support:

"Keyguard and "Show Abort Dialog" options conflict. Either turn off Keyguard on your Treo or turn off the abort dialog in BackupMan."

I chose to turn off the "abort dialog in BackupMan and it worked.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I haven't used Keyguard since the first day I got my first 600. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I haven't used Keyguard since the first day I got my first 600. Ben
    I stop using a case and started putting my Treo in my pocket about 6 month ago. Gotta use keyguard if it's in your pocket or else you make a lot of unintended calls.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover