Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems like everyone here has got great deals from retentions as sprint customers, but are there any verizon customers that were able to pull a fast one on retentions? I am with verizon and so before I pay the legit price, I want to see if retentions is worth it.
    Bump...bump...bump
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    It seems like everyone here has got great deals from retentions as sprint customers, but are there any verizon customers that were able to pull a fast one on retentions? I am with verizon and so before I pay the legit price, I want to see if retentions is worth it.
    In my experience Verizon retentions is indifferent. I got pseudo lucky with my 700p, but only because I was eligible for new every two anyway. The Verizon website was selling the phone for $100 cheaper than the store so I went to the store (not a reseller) and asked for the web site price. To their credit they gave me the web site price ($399) plus threw in the accessory kit (Motorola H500 headset and a car charger) for free.

Pretty much, if you threaten to leave they will say don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Verizon??? Retentions???? Now that's funny.
    Seriously. After my experience getting a great deal through Sprint retentions I suggested my girlfriend call verizon retentions as she was out of contract. She wanted a RAZR and the same plan. She called up, mentioned possibly wanting to cancel. Before she knew it, the rep had cancelled her account without her permission and disconnected.

She had to call back to get the account reinstated. When she went to the Verizon store to get the phone through the normal channels, they said they had no history of her account before the reinstatement and that she was under a 2 year conract starting then.

i ended up going up to the store with her, asking them to produce documentation proving she was under contract. After more than 6 hours, they admitted they had F'ed up and gave her the RAZR for free. This was worth neither the time nor money saved. In fact, while we were waiting for the short bus verizon employees to figure out what was going on, I walked over to the Sprint store and priced plans for her to join mine.

Their lack of any service was absolutely astounding. I though Sprint was bad but VZ is horrible.
    I was with Verizon for two years, and I will admit to their network being good, but I looked for an option at the end of my contract with Sprint, and I haven't looked back since. Verizon's strong network marketing toon is only due to the compilation of its three cellular subsidaries with their inconsistant technologies between their network towers...hence, my sisters all digital Razr drops calls and has bad resception due to this, that is why When I was with verizon with an analog/digital handset, I had to extend my antenna to keep reception. Sprints network is an all fiber optic digital network built from the ground up which consistantly works with all digital handsets...the main problem of building it up themselves is, it was small at the beginning, but it is getting better yet there are still dead spots with dropped calls and some rural areas that are out of the question unless their is a roaming option. We can only see how Sprint's network grows for itself and in relation to how and when they plan on switching Nextel to a CDMA network if it happens. If and when any of the other carriers bring a solid network to the table...I can't wait to see Verizon brought to its knees. Verizon even has their customers so brain washed that they even tell themselves that its ok to pay so much for supperior service...lol. Its good to have that service, but your carrier shouldn't rape you inspite of it, and the customer deserves better. Verizon bets on their customers confidence in its network which in result allows Verizon to gouge their customers pockets with arrogance resulting in nothing to offer them in the end except "Can you hear me now".
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Verizon bets on their customers confidence in its network which in result allows Verizon to gouge their customers pockets with arrogance resulting in nothing to offer them in the end except "Can you hear me now".
    The truth shall set you free!!! Couldnt have said this any better myself.
    In Ohio, Vzw has great coverage. Better than Sprint's. But with sprint, you can roam on Verizon. I go through 2 deadspots on the way to work that die whether using Sprint or Verizon. Funny thing is, Sprint has a tower 3 miles from there, but they just don't aim their antennae correctly to cover that area. The Cingular tower (nearly 10 miles from there) works ok, but can drop. Verizon's drops out because it is farther away than Sprint's. There is also one area where nothing works.

Problem also is, that their (Sprint, Cingular, Verizon) networks on one side of the state line don't communicate with the other. So even though it can hold calls past they will drop before too long once you cross the line.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I was with Verizon for two years, and I will admit to their network being good, but I looked for an option at the end of my contract with Sprint, and I haven't looked back since. Verizon's strong network marketing toon is only due to the compilation of its three cellular subsidaries with their inconsistant technologies between their network towers...hence, my sisters all digital Razr drops calls and has bad resception due to this, that is why When I was with verizon with an analog/digital handset, I had to extend my antenna to keep reception. Sprints network is an all fiber optic digital network built from the ground up which consistantly works with all digital handsets...the main problem of building it up themselves is, it was small at the beginning, but it is getting better yet there are still dead spots with dropped calls and some rural areas that are out of the question unless their is a roaming option. We can only see how Sprint's network grows for itself and in relation to how and when they plan on switching Nextel to a CDMA network if it happens. If and when any of the other carriers bring a solid network to the table...I can't wait to see Verizon brought to its knees. Verizon even has their customers so brain washed that they even tell themselves that its ok to pay so much for supperior service...lol. Its good to have that service, but your carrier shouldn't rape you inspite of it, and the customer deserves better. Verizon bets on their customers confidence in its network which in result allows Verizon to gouge their customers pockets with arrogance resulting in nothing to offer them in the end except "Can you hear me now".
    I'm a VZW customer and happy with their service. I don't find them arrogant in any way -- they have a superior product. I've had Sprint and Cingular service in the past, and neither can hold a candle to Verizon in terms of coverage and stability in the Seattle, SF, and Phoenix metro areas where I spend a lot of my time. I had constant problems with Sprint and Cingular in getting consistent coverage either at home or while traveling, but no such trouble with Verizon.

The reason Sprint is more competitive on price and offers great retention deals is because they have to -- their network is not as solid as Verizon's, and therefore must try harder to keep customers. Verizon, on the other hand, is playing from a position of strength which any smart company would do.

I'm the first to vote for Verizon lowering its rates, but is that the sole determining factor with who I use for a wireless carrier? Absolutely not. Coverage trumps price in my case.

Customer service has also been #1.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS

The reason Sprint is more competitive on price and offers great retention deals is because they have to -- their network is not as solid as Verizon's, and therefore must try harder to keep customers. Verizon, on the other hand, is playing from a position of strength which any smart company would do.
    True...that is the exact reason why Sprint has competitive offers. I just think the playing from a position of strength on its customers wallets is wrong, and will only last so long. I do admit, I love how you can just threaten a Sprint rep that your going to Verizon and they will almost eat out of your hand which will not last long either, being a result of Verizons strong network. When I was with Verizon...I couldn't get my unlimited nights to start any earlier than 9:00P.M. and my unlimited weekends started at 12:00A.M Friday night or really Saturday morning until 12:00A.M Sunday night/Monday morning...what type of weekend is that, and the other cariers gave you an option for 7:00P.M. starts with full weekends. I have 7:00P.M starts durring the week with no extra charge, and my weekends start at 7:00P.M Friday until 7:00A.M Monday...now thats a weekend. Is Verizons unlimited offerings still the same? If not, then its a start for better days.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    I'm a VZW customer and happy with their service. I don't find them arrogant in any way -- they have a superior product. I've had Sprint and Cingular service in the past, and neither can hold a candle to Verizon in terms of coverage and stability in the Seattle, SF, and Phoenix metro areas where I spend a lot of my time. I had constant problems with Sprint and Cingular in getting consistent coverage either at home or while traveling, but no such trouble with Verizon.

I'm the first to vote for Verizon lowering its rates, but is that the sole determining factor with who I use for a wireless carrier? Absolutely not. Coverage trumps price in my case.

Customer service has also been #1.
    Coverage can be better or worse depending on geography, I have had both Verizon and Sprint, I switched to Sprint because of the high Verizon prices and have noticed zero drop off in coverage. So, as far as I am concerned "Brainwashed" is the correct term
    Quote Originally Posted by feces
    Coverage can be better or worse depending on geography, I have had both Verizon and Sprint, I switched to Sprint because of the high Verizon prices and have noticed zero drop off in coverage. So, as far as I am concerned "Brainwashed" is the correct term
    That is what I forgot to put in my original post...thanks. I also have better coverage with Sprint than Verizon where I am at too. Along with my experience with Verizon as a customer in comparison, and with friends who drop calls and hit dead spots in key areas with Verizon.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Why do you need a retentions function when you have the lowest churn rate in the industry - by a significant margin? Imagine how much cheaper Sprint's rates could be if they simply provided a product/service that didn't force their customer base to threaten leaving before they got the type of service they're entitled to!

Maybe Verizon's higher rates serve as a "churn screen" - weeding out that segment of the market known to be big-time churners (aka penny pinchers) before they ever become Verizon customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe

Maybe Verizon's higher rates serve as a "churn screen" - weeding out that segment of the market known to be big-time churners (aka penny pinchers) before they ever become Verizon customers.

Thats insane... "churn screen" what does penny pinching have to do with Verizon's gouging in comparison to the market...brainwashed. Your not a customer when your with Verizon...your a Verizon drone. It isn't about penny pinching...its the fact that some people spend money on a variation of things in relation to whats being spent as a waste. I have a family, house, sports car, a desktop PC, 2 high end notebooks, motorcycles, etc, and the list goes on...I don't like to blow all my money on a Treo in accordinance to the rest, so it has nothing to do with the pennies. I love my Treo, but not that much. And I do agree, Sprint does need retentions. Especially with their past issues with CS, and their battle with Verizons over customers with its only strong hold...the network. Sprint isn't a compilation of 3 cellular companies as Verizon is, so Verizon didn't have to build up anything within their network. Sprint started fresh from the ground up and their growing pains are also what merits a retention department. Sprint is growing and will continue to grow, and I have good coverage where I am and I am saving at the same time so I am happy.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Sprint is growing and will continue to grow, and I have good coverage where I am and I am saving at the same time so I am happy.
    That's the main reason I stay with Verizon even though I know that I am paying too much and they could care less if I stay...where I live and also where I work Sprint service is horrid. Two of my coworker are Sprint customers and if they go downstairs then they start roaming. I have seen thm ignore calls from their wives not because they didn't want to talk to them, but because they had to wait to go back upstairs so they wouldn't be roaming.

That said, if Sprint coverage was better in the area I work (and the bulk of the areas I travel to) then I would switch.

In my opinion Verizon should be very careful with they way they treat us as customers because the other providers WILL catch up and many of us will jump ship so quickly they won't even be able to say 'early termination fee.'
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer
    That's the main reason I stay with Verizon even though I know that I am paying too much and they could care less if I stay...where I live and also where I work Sprint service is horrid. Two of my coworker are Sprint customers and if they go downstairs then they start roaming. I have seen thm ignore calls from their wives not because they didn't want to talk to them, but because they had to wait to go back upstairs so they wouldn't be roaming.

That said, if Sprint coverage was better in the area I work (and the bulk of the areas I travel to) then I would switch.

In my opinion Verizon should be very careful with they way they treat us as customers because the other providers WILL catch up and many of us will jump ship so quickly they won't even be able to say 'early termination fee.'
    Totally agree with you...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Thats insane...
    Perhaps, but certainly a more rational, less emotional rant than your own description of Sprint's "success" to date.

I thought this was about retention. Why would Verizon waste money on a retention department when they would end up sit ting around all day like the Maytag repair man with nothing to do. Think of how much smaller your own Sprint bill might be if you weren't subsidizing a department they ought not have in the first place if only their CSRs were already doing their jobs correctly.
    Perhaps, but certainly a more rational, less emotional rant than your own description of Sprint's "success" to date.

I thought this was about retention. Why would Verizon waste money on a retention department when they would end up sit ting around all day like the Maytag repair man with nothing to do. Think of how much smaller your own Sprint bill might be if you weren't subsidizing a department they ought not have in the first place if only their CSRs were already doing their jobs correctly.
    My Sprint bill is already less than half of what my bill would be for an equivalent plan with Verizon... that's small enough for me.

And on a separate note. I switched from Cingular to Sprint and so far after almost a month I can easily say that I won't be looking back. Here in Orange County, I find Sprint's coverage superior to Cingular's, also the sound quality and consistency is also notably better. I've also driven down to San Diego and up to Sacramento with this phone and I can say I've had no problems in either direction (this was especially surprising on the Sacramento trip as I was expecting patchy coverage in most places with Sprint. The coverage was solid all the way up. I'm sure Verizon's coverage would be great too... but the point is that IMHO it seems Sprint has vastly improved its network since I last had a Sprint account (2+ years ago). At the same time I can tell you from personal experience Cingular's least dropped calls claim is a rather sizable load of crap.

Good point...I would like to save more money! I'm just having fun...its all cool and the gang. I still don't like Verizon, but I can't argue with logic.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by ajabbari
    My Sprint bill is already less than half of what my bill would be for an equivalent plan with Verizon... that's small enough for me.

And on a separate note. I switched from Cingular to Sprint and so far after almost a month I can easily say that I won't be looking back. Here in Orange County, I find Sprint's coverage superior to Cingular's, also the sound quality and consistency is also notably better. I've also driven down to San Diego and up to Sacramento with this phone and I can say I've had no problems in either direction (this was especially surprising on the Sacramento trip as I was expecting patchy coverage in most places with Sprint. The coverage was solid all the way up. I'm sure Verizon's coverage would be great too... but the point is that IMHO it seems Sprint has vastly improved its network since I last had a Sprint account (2+ years ago). At the same time I can tell you from personal experience Cingular's least dropped calls claim is a rather sizable load of crap.
    My dad is with Cingular and I agree about the sound quality...he sounds like he is in Afghasnistan. The coverage is also patchy for Cingular where I am at..."raising what bar"
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast