Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21  
    Having been on Verizon and now Sprint i can see both sides of the coin. i generally have good coverage in the Chicagoland area with Sprint, besides the low cost on sprint,it's been my personal experience(having a treo 600 and 650 on both networks) that sprint's web and data access/network is significantly faster than verizon, another reason i left, i think verizion tether down there bandwidth, or at least that's the "word on th street".
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

    http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  2. andrewj's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    I'm a VZW customer and happy with their service. I don't find them arrogant in any way -- they have a superior product. I've had Sprint and Cingular service in the past, and neither can hold a candle to Verizon in terms of coverage and stability in the Seattle, SF, and Phoenix metro areas where I spend a lot of my time. I had constant problems with Sprint and Cingular in getting consistent coverage either at home or while traveling, but no such trouble with Verizon.

    The reason Sprint is more competitive on price and offers great retention deals is because they have to -- their network is not as solid as Verizon's, and therefore must try harder to keep customers. Verizon, on the other hand, is playing from a position of strength which any smart company would do.

    I'm the first to vote for Verizon lowering its rates, but is that the sole determining factor with who I use for a wireless carrier? Absolutely not. Coverage trumps price in my case.

    Customer service has also been #1.
    As a customer in Boston, MA, and after trying Sprint and Cingular, I'm giving my nod to Verizon for better call coverage. Granted, the last time I used Sprint was in 2000, but their coverage was irregular. Cingular (using their GSM network) was an improvement but surprisingly spotty at times in the middle of Boston. Refreshingly, I haven't had this problem with Verizon.
  3. #23  
    I got a pretty good deal through Verizon retentions. I got the 700p for $350 and had them add the 2000 unlimited text message plan at no cost.
  4. swagner's Avatar
    Posts
    258 Posts
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    #24  
    Well, I just got off the phone with Verizon. I have a 4 phone family plan with 1 Treo on it. I went through the very polite threat of going to Sprint due to better data plan and phone pricing. All they would offer is the new every 2 discount on 1 of the 4 phones. Nothing else.

    If Sprint offered me any data coverage at all (there is noe where I live, nevermind EVDO) I would switch in a second.
  5. #25  
    Cingular is guilty of false advertising and misrepresenting the quality of their services. "Raising the bar" and "Fewest dropped calls" to name just two strategies which are patently false. I had Cingular for almost a year and was so upset at them that I transferred financial responsibility from personal to my business, then had the business screw them over and not pay any cancellation fees. Cingular sent the business to collections, but now the collection agency gets a "this number has been disconnected" whenever they call my PBX (gotta love my Asterisk phone server). They've disappeared, and most likely Cingular charged off the fee.

    Cost is obviously an issue, but I've been so frustrated in my search for a consistent carrier. Having tried the other two (Cingular and Sprint), I gave Verizon a try knowing it was more expensive and have had nothing but a #1 experience. I don't care if it's because Verizon is a conglomeration of 3 companies -- so is Cingular, and Sprint is now the sum total of two companies, that's just the way it is -- it's the end result that counts. I'm not emotionally invested in my cell phone company -- I give my money to the one who can give me the best coverage and fewest dropped calls. In my case, in the areas where I go, Verizon is king.

    Making a sound decision based on my needs for coverage does not make me "brainwashed" or a "drone" in any way. As I said, I have no emotional investment in my carrier -- I could care less. If my experience with Sprint was great, then I would be with Sprint, but it wasn't. Sorry, just the facts for me.

    In my mind the major benefits to the carriers break down as follows:

    Verizon: better coverage
    Sprint: better deals
    Cingular: better phones
    T-Mobile: no idea
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1
    I got a pretty good deal through Verizon retentions. I got the 700p for $350 and had them add the 2000 unlimited text message plan at no cost.

    was your contract expired? and did you renew it?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1
    I got a pretty good deal through Verizon retentions. I got the 700p for $350 and had them add the 2000 unlimited text message plan at no cost.
    I believe you can buy a 700p for new service for $399, so that's only $50. The 2,000 unlimited text message plan is probably the same as the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance that many of us are already getting simply by asking for it.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    The 2,000 unlimited text message plan is probably the same as the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance that many of us are already getting simply by asking for it.
    wait, elaborate on this please? wat is this pda sms 2000 allowance? available with any plan? i have never heard of this? how do i get it?
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    I went through the very polite threat of going to Sprint due to better data plan and phone pricing. All they would offer is the new every 2 discount on 1 of the 4 phones. Nothing else.
    You think they don't recognize an empty threat when they see it? Check your bill next month - they probably found a way to gouge you for more money for being so impertinent.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    wait, elaborate on this please? wat is this pda sms 2000 allowance? available with any plan? i have never heard of this? how do i get it?
    It is to make up for the AUTD email delivery on a "non-service pack 2" exchange server. In order to get push email the server would send an invisible sms to your phone to let it know to sync with the server. This sms counts just like any other text message except for you don't actually get the text. This is a free 2000 sms allowance to offset those costs. However they remove any other text plans from your account, so you can use this with regular sms also. So essentially you get 2000 text messages a month for free. I just got the plan added today, so it is still available. Just email customer care and tell them that you "have an unlimited data plan and will be syncing with an exchange server, and that you had heard about a feature called sms2000 pda allowance to offset the text messaging costs with receiving your mail" and they will add it for you and remove your old sms package.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbarrett5381
    It is to make up for the AUTD email delivery on a "non-service pack 2" exchange server. In order to get push email the server would send an invisible sms to your phone to let it know to sync with the server. This sms counts just like any other text message except for you don't actually get the text. This is a free 2000 sms allowance to offset those costs. However they remove any other text plans from your account, so you can use this with regular sms also. So essentially you get 2000 text messages a month for free. I just got the plan added today, so it is still available. Just email customer care and tell them that you "have an unlimited data plan and will be syncing with an exchange server, and that you had heard about a feature called sms2000 pda allowance to offset the text messaging costs with receiving your mail" and they will add it for you and remove your old sms package.
    have you ever gone over the 2000 allowed because the exchange server? im curious to know if people have texted over 2000 messaged because of the syncing, i can imagine it will get pretty heavy on the bill...
  12. #32  
    if your exchange server has sp2 then it won't charge sms, but if it doesn't have sp2 installed and you get over 2000 emails per month then you will go over
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    Cingular is guilty of false advertising and misrepresenting the quality of their services. "Raising the bar" and "Fewest dropped calls" to name just two strategies which are patently false. I had Cingular for almost a year and was so upset at them that I transferred financial responsibility from personal to my business, then had the business screw them over and not pay any cancellation fees. Cingular sent the business to collections, but now the collection agency gets a "this number has been disconnected" whenever they call my PBX (gotta love my Asterisk phone server). They've disappeared, and most likely Cingular charged off the fee.
    Actually I originally signed up for AT&T Wireless and then Cingular merged with them about 8 months into my contract. This was generally an improvement, however, about 13 - 15 months into my contract I started to get very bad service around Orange County. This was in areas where the service never had a problem. For about 2 - 3 months I could almost guarantee you that if I called anyone from anywhere, the call would be dropped after 3 minutes. During any calls people would complain about loud noises and static coming from my phone, and sometimes I would here the same on my side (these were very loud noices, popping, digital static, etc.). I remember at one point wondering if maybe Cingular was trying to get all of us old AT&T Wireless SIM card users over to a Cingular contract by intentionally making the service as crappy as possible, and if my service would be as bad if I was using a Cingular phone / SIM card instead.

    Last I heard there is now a class action lawsuit against Cingular for intentional sabotage of the AT&T Wireless customers' service to force them into a Cingular contract.
  14.    #34  
    bump
  15. noodle's Avatar
    Posts
    536 Posts
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    #35  
    It isn't just At+t Customers...Before I switched to VZW I was on cingular for years, with great service. Then shortly after the merger, I would get 50% or more dropped calls, and when I did get a call to go through, there was serious quality problems. So your not alone, their service has gone majorly downhill, and when I see those least dropped calls commercials, I get so angry.

    Thank god I am on VZW now, its been great.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
  16. #36  
    I manage about 160 Verizon phones and treos for my co. and if my contract date is not up, I can not upgrade the phone with out paying full retail. Just paid $600 for a 700p for our VP who wanted one... I love Verizon ;-p
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1
    I got a pretty good deal through Verizon retentions. I got the 700p for $350 and had them add the 2000 unlimited text message plan at no cost.
    Try this on for size:
    Sprint Retentions:

    2 Treo 700p's - $400 total ($200 ea.)
    Unlim. PowerVision (EVDO)
    Unlim. TXT
    Picture Mail
    Mob2Mob
    N/W at 7pm
    Roaming inclu.
    Long Dist. Inclu
    Equip. protection damage/loss/water damage

    One MM7400
    Vision (regular) inclu.
    Unlim txt
    Picture mail.
    Equip. protection damage/loss/water damage
    Mob2Mob
    N/W at 7pm
    Roaming inclu.
    Long Dist. Inclu

    One 8200
    Mob2Mob
    N/W at 7pm
    Roaming inclu.
    Long Dist. Inclu

    One 4290
    Mob2Mob
    N/W at 7pm
    Roaming inclu.
    Long Dist. Inclu

    Family plan 1500 mins. Total $116 + taxes
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    .....
    The reason Sprint is more competitive on price and offers great retention deals is because they have to -- their network is not as solid as Verizon's, and therefore must try harder to keep customers......
    No...they own thier own fiber optic backbone from coast to coast. That's why they can offer a lower cost. Getting the data onto their backbone is where they lack, but licensing a tower is peanuts compared to transporting it to the switch.

    But I do agree their CS sucks. When I was with Verizoin 4 years ago, their CS were very good.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Sprints network is an all fiber optic digital network built from the ground up which consistantly works with all digital handsets...
    That's great if you don't mind having a optical fiber connected to your mobile phone.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It isn't just At+t Customers...Before I switched to VZW I was on cingular for years, with great service. Then shortly after the merger, I would get 50% or more dropped calls, and when I did get a call to go through, there was serious quality problems. So your not alone, their service has gone majorly downhill, and when I see those least dropped calls commercials, I get so angry.
    Fortunately, I made the switch from Cingular to Sprint before the Cingular/ATT merger. The TDMA service was already beginning to decline with smaller TDMA coverage footprint as newer GSM towers were being erected. Most of the time I was at least 10 miles from the closest Cingular TDMA/AMPS tower. As they erected newer GSM-only towers, they actually dropped the power output on their TDMA cells, and reduced the number of frequencies the TDMA circuits would use.

    Again, all this was happening before the ATT merger. I can only imagine how bad it is now. Not to mention the new $5/month surcharge they are tacking onto AMPS and TDMA accounts.

    IMHO the best call quality has always been from AMPS. I sure do miss those days!

    Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

    Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions