1.    #1  
    Tried a search for this, but couldn't articulate the search terms successfully.

Can I dump my local Comcast internet service, if all I need the internet at home for is to let my TiVo call out every couple of days to update its programming info.

I don't have a land line, so I can't use TiVo's phone options. I'm thinking of connecting via DUN with the Treo 650. Do I need to involve my PC or could I configure TiVo directly?
    If I read your post correctly, you want to use DUN with your TiVo.

I would suggest a few minutes on Google...

If the TiVo allows you to manage bluetooth devices and access the services on them, and lets you configure the DUN service, then no...you don't need a PC. But my guess is that you will need the computer.

Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    There is no way to get a TiVo to use the Treo directly. I suppose you can do it with DUN through the PC and Internet Connection Sharing.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    There is no way to get a TiVo to use the Treo directly. I suppose you can do it with DUN through the PC and Internet Connection Sharing.
    That sounds pretty definitive. I'm hoping you're incorrect.

What about connecting the TiVo to the Treo by way of the phone connection? Just fake the TiVo into thinking its using a land line. I'm guessing I'd need some type of RJ11 to Treo connector. Anyone seen any such thing?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I can't imagine how such a connector would woirk. There are "cradles" that use Bluetooth to let you use a cellphone to make calls in the house, but that is not a "direct connection". Furthermore, the TiVo modems are extremely finicky about connections and don't work with many VoIP solutions. A Bluetooth cellphone connection would be even worse in terms of packet delays and phase shifts.

Rigging up a network connection would be a lot simpler and more reliable.
    Before TiVos could access the internet via ethernet they always got their program updates by dialing in. Can't you just plug it into a phone line?
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Did you actually read his first post....he doesn't have a phone line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Did you actually read his first post....he doesn't have a phone line.
    Sorry, missed that part. No need to be a cockbite!

BTW, a bare bones phone line will cost somewhere between $5-$12/mo. Might not be a bad deal as an easy solution.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  9.    #9  
    BTW,

I did find a post over at the TiVo forum where an individual used his cell phone connected to his PC to access the internet and then setup an adhoc network with TiVo and the PC to download updates. It is one more step than I felt was necessary, but it may be my best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22
    BTW,

I did find a post over at the TiVo forum where an individual used his cell phone connected to his PC to access the internet and then setup an adhoc network with TiVo and the PC to download updates. It is one more step than I felt was necessary, but it may be my best bet.
    Yes, I think this is the way to go. Probably easier if you're using a mac and internet sharing, but should be possible regardless.

To the earlier comment that there's no way to have the tivo and the phone talk directly I'm going to say that's probably a little to definative of a statement. Given that TiVo is pretty much hust a linux box, most things you can do with a normal compy you can do with a tivo. Might not be easy and I sure as hell don't know how to do it, but I'm pretty sure someone could.
    Funny, free ecards for weird situations. No registration required. - UncomfortableSituations.com

Pop culture hangman using Flickr pics - SearchVoyeurMan
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    No, a TiVo is not "pretty much a Linux box". It is custom hardware with a Linux-based kernel and a lot of proprietary software on top of that. If you want the TiVo software to connect to the TiVo service, you have to do it through a mechanism allowed by the TiVo software. Yes, you can install and run Linux tools additionally, but you can't "plug in" to the TiVo service connection.

Theoretically, if you could find a device that allows the Treo to serve as a Hayes AT-compatible serial modem, you could use the serial jack on the TiVo and an undocumented (but well known) option to tell the TiVo to use that. I don't know of any such devices, and that assumes that the modem works over the cell network. The modem in the TiVo is too sensitive to line degradation to be able to work with a "phone" type connection to any cell phone. This is why I said "no way".

I've been hacking TiVos for six years now and am fairly confident in the information I have provided. If you want to learn more, visit the forums at www.dealdatabase.com, where TiVo hacking is discussed.