Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I recently installed both Verichat and Chattermail and have found that my battery life has taken a significant hit. I had Verichat set to maintain a persistent connection and have Chatter set to check email every few minutes with no audio alert but with flashing LED. Which would be the main culprit causing the drain? What would be the ideal settings for these apps, in terms of power consumption?

Much thanks,

reubkov
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    I don't know in your case which is causing the drain, but you may wish to change Verichat to alert you via SMS and then exit the application. You may also wish to change your connection settings in Chatter to maintain an IMAP connection, disable interval checking, and enable "efficient syncing". This will give you push email with minimal battery impact.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyS
    You may also wish to change your connection settings in Chatter to maintain an IMAP connection, disable interval checking, and enable "efficient syncing". This will give you push email with minimal battery impact.
    Thanks. I was able to find the "efficient syncing" option but I'm not sure how to set the app to maintain an IMAP connection and disable interval checking. Can you point me in the right direction?

Also, will this IMAP connection work with Gmail?

Much thanks,

reubkov
    reubkov
    Palm Treo 755p with 2GB SanDisk microSD, Launcher X
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reubkov
    Also, will this IMAP connection work with Gmail?
    Gmail supports POP only and does not support IMAP. "Efficient syncing" in Chatter only works with IMAP.

Here's a like which describes IMAP vs POP .

Sounds like the options for you in Chatter if GMail is your provider are:
    1. Sign up a new IMAP account with a mail provider (such as fastmail.fm or aim.com) which provides IMAP as an email transport mechanism. Have your GMail forward all your emails to your IMAP account. Then change your Chatter to the new IMAP account and turn on "Efficient Sync" (that's what I did by the way).

2. If you keep synchronizing GMail with Chatter directly, you'll need to change the polling frequency. The less frequent the less battery drain.

Good luck!

(I don't use VeriChat so I can't help there.)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607