1.    #1  
    Does anyone know when TomTom will be releasing updated US maps?

My four-year-old neighborhood shows up on the map as a "no-man's land" and a trip last week to the beach indicated a five-hour drive (fastest route) when the directions we got from our friends took only 3-1/2 hours using some two-year-old "bypass" roads.

I really like the software, particularly when I'm traveling to an unfamiliar city, but the maps just seem to be incredibly out of date, particularly in areas where there is a lot of development.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    From reading a TomTom forum my understanding is that map updates are usually done once/year in July/August. I have no official information.
    I don't have TomTom yet but was reading their FAQ's. I read that they gave a free update last year and there will be updates in the Quarter of 2006, but for a minimal charger to existing custumers.
    I just purchased my tomtom earlier this year and have already ran into issues where the maps weren't totally updated, so I'm finding it hard to believe that they update these yearly. A friend of mine has a navigation unit through another company and his maps were up to date for the areas that mine was lacking.

I sent there support an email and am hoping for a reply.

Rob

https://www.savvyshopperonline.com
    Prices So Good You Don't Need A Sale
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Good luck w/ TomTom. You will pulling your hair out by the time they update.
    Wow... believe it or not TomTom got back to me within the hour. Not sure if I believe there answer or not, but below is a copy of the email I received:

"The maps and POIs that you have with your device are the most current that we have available at this time.

We do, however, expect a map upgrade to be released later this year but do not yet have any definitive information regarding the release date or cost. If you have created a TomTom account at http://www.tomtom.com, we will notify you via e-mail when the update is available.

With best regards,
    TomTom doesn't make maps, they buy them....it may take 3-5 years for new construction to be added.
    The problem isn't the updates. It's the company they use for their maps, Teleatlas.

Most other map programs in the US use Navteq, which (in my opinion), is much better. Mapquest, Garmin and most Automotive GPS systems use Navteq.
    when i talked to tomtom, they said that navigator 6 for palm would be out in the fall/winter...new maps are supposed to be released at the end of summer.

i'd be shocked if they stuck to that schedule.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    The problem isn't the updates. It's the company they use for their maps, Teleatlas.

Most other map programs in the US use Navteq, which (in my opinion), is much better. Mapquest, Garmin and most Automotive GPS systems use Navteq.
    I've never seen a Mapquest map that was accurate.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I don't have TomTom on the Palm, I have the external Go 700, and for me the biggest problem is horrid route planning. When instructed to find either fastest or shortest route, it finds routes which are neither - if I tell it there's a detour, it immediately finds an alternative which is both shorter and faster. It'll tell me to get off the highway an exit early and wander thru a business park, to wind up at the same point I'd reach if I exited one exit later. It'll tell me to leave the road I'm on, make a few turns, and come back to the very same road. I don't know whether it's inaccurate data in the maps or a bad algorithm, but my hunch is the latter since when it is forced to look for an alternative it eventually finds the right answer.
    I would recommend then switching to TomTom. Other than there maps being roughly 3 - 5 years old, everything else works 100%. Installation was bit tricky, but there are tons of posts here that explain how to get around the problems.

So, as long as I'm not trying to navigate to a location that's a new construction or highway, I have not complaints about TomTom. They claim to have new maps coming out by the end of the year, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyshopper
    I would recommend then switching to TomTom. Other than there maps being roughly 3 - 5 years old, everything else works 100%. Installation was bit tricky, but there are tons of posts here that explain how to get around the problems.

So, as long as I'm not trying to navigate to a location that's a new construction or highway, I have not complaints about TomTom. They claim to have new maps coming out by the end of the year, but I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Actually..its not just the maps that are old. The Point of Interest lists are old and very incomplete. Hopefully they will update them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Actually..its not just the maps that are old. The Point of Interest lists are old and very incomplete. Hopefully they will update them.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!!

I used it yesterday to guide me from Brooklyn, NY to Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ).

Used Navigate To... -> POI -> Amusement Parks -> Six Flags

After 45 minutes of driving I found it took me in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION all the way to Parsippony, NJ! Used blazer to find the actual address to Six Flags. Entered the address (1 six flags blvd.) BUT the closest I could get was 5 Six Flags Blvd! So a 45 minute trip took me 2.5 hours! Thanks TomTom!!!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Besides updated maps, what new features will the Palm OS version of Navigator 6 give me over my current Navigator 5 (which I just bought a few months ago)?

Updating it to 6 rather than 5.xx implies some major changes.
    Palm has updated their site to indicate that their GPS kit now comes with Navigator 6.
    Tomtom is still showing Navigator 5 on their US & UK sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by brettnolan
    Besides updated maps, what new features will the Palm OS version of Navigator 6 give me over my current Navigator 5 (which I just bought a few months ago)?

Updating it to 6 rather than 5.xx implies some major changes.
    Cross-border navigation (which I take to mean, no more switching maps).