Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I notice that since I had a PRL update and since they worked on the server last nite - there is an improvement in the picture quality in Sprint TV ( Houston, TX )
    Last edited by irabren; 07/09/2006 at 09:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    PRL 20222 in Houston and SprintTV still looks like crap for me.
    (Not that I care though, I never really plan on using it.)

ERic
    interesting, I just tested out SprintTV and it didn't crash my treo like it usually does, thanks for the headsup
    garinballbarin
    I gave up on SprintTV in favor of MobiTV. Reasons are:

1. I call STV "Toilet TV"; all it contains is 1-3 min video segments and very few streaming channels (I had Sprint Ultimate.) Thus it is good only if you have a few minutes a day to watch, like in the bathroom My usage is commuting on a train 2 hours total a day.

2. STV segments are hardly updated. The only item that changed daily was news. Discovery had the same segments for the whole month. Tonight Show updated perhaps twice a week. Comedy Time would change weekly but you could watch their entire weekly lineup (20 or so 1-2 min segments) in 1/2 hour. Toon Channel maybe changed every 10 days. Never did get Looney Tunes nor Animal Planet as promised. Note: Not interested in any of the sports nor music channels so I can't comment on them.

3. The STV (hence Blazer) video player does not turn off the shutdown timer on your Treo. Thus, if I didn't hit a button in 3 minutes (my shutoff time), my Treo would turn itself off. It was a pain to get back to where I was because the player only advances in 10 second increments. Note: Used ZooVision shows to get anything > 3 minutes. It was like a nervous twitch, hitting the green button every few seconds

4. MTV is true streaming; like having a cable TV connection. No problem in going through the entire available content in < 2 hours; I can tune into say, Discovery, and watch one show for an hour.

5. MTV player is much better looking than STV. Reminds me a lot of Mac OS X vs Window's

6. MTV player does not time out your Treo nor allow it to automatically turn off. It does prompt you every 30 minutes or so to hit a key to be sure you are still there.

7. MTV is "live", there is no pause/DVR feature; if you miss something, you miss it.

8. For my use, the MTV lineup is much better than Sprint Ultimate for the same $10/mo.

9. MTV's picture is much better than STV. Perhaps STV got better?

10. STV will degrade the picture when the signal weakens. MTV cuts the picture and reloads the buffer (seems to be at least 10 seconds.) Not sure which behavior I prefer.

11. STV loads faster than MTV. MTV is easier to navigate the channels. It presents the same kind of browser list as the Blazer bookmark's (but with nice graphics.)

12. STV would frequently have broken links. I have hit a few times on MTV where a channel would say its backend server is down for "maintenance."

13. Since STV is mostly canned segments, you can cherry pick which ones you want to watch. Problem is they aren't dated so you don't know if you've seen them before unless the name changed. On MTV you have to take what is currently playing (so you switch channels a lot.)
    Thanks. Nice comparison of the two.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  6.    #6  
    I believe however, that Sprint Tv comes from MobiTV!
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by irabren
    I believe however, that Sprint Tv comes from MobiTV!
    I thought the same thing can someone explain
    I got my palm pre on day 1 Treo 755p with sprint
    Bug me , zlauncher , Treo memo, Volume care pro, Backupman , Takephone,Agendus, 2day, Holidates, lex spell, Bdictionary, Mundu, Adrian Money ,Genius, Callblock,minitones,Pocket Tunes Deluxe, doc2go,Timesheet, bible reader,Checkers sea War,Hot reverse ,sudoku and Black jack (All games are on my sd card) , Yaps and crytex, safeguard
    Nvback up on 2nd 1gig sd card
    It is the same thing, just different players & channels. Sprint TV, powered by MobiTV is their slogan.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    I switched as well..... there is really is a big differencein the quality, interface, and content, MTV is much better....
    With MTV, do they nickel & dime you everytime you want to see something like STV or do you get all the channels, all the time for the $10 mo.?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    all the channels, all the time. flat $10 fee.
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    all the channels, all the time. flat $10 fee.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I looked at MobiTV's offerings last night and while their pricing is certainly better than SprintTV's, their selection of channels still isn't something I'd want to pay for. Most of what they offer I'd never watch. Everyone has different tastes, of course. If they offered TCM, and some of the Encore channels I'd buy it in a New York minute, but they don't.

So I'll patiently wait for SlingMedia to come out with their PalmOS version of their mobile Sling player and have 1000+ channels from my digital box from which to choose. The Slingbox is almost motivation enough for me to want a 700w, JUST to use that one application.. but not quite enough motivation to spend that kind of money for one. Unless I could find one dirt cheap that isn't beaten to Hell. But then I'd be carrying around three Treos.

As someone posted earlier, and as I said in my 700p review here early in June, SprintTV is really a disappointment. Unless I'm missing something, "SprintTV Ultimate" which is on my 700p gives me a whole two live news channels (ABC and FOX) and a ton of 2-3 minute clips ranging from mildly interesting to totally worthless. And movie previews and such don't change for weeks at a time. There's so much potential there that they're not even remotely exploiting. It's sad.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Sprint TV live is a much better choice than STV ultimate. I'm watching Felix the Cat right now! Not clips, either.
    I thought with the Ultimate pack you get everything. The live chanels and all.

Where can I get a list of what you get with every sprint tv package ??
  16.    #16  
    stv ultimate includes stv live - go to sprint.com
    volume care; backupman; Pdanet; Filez; OperaMini; voice dial; IBMJava; AlwaysOn; Universal Keyboard; Font Smoother; YAHM; KMaps; Avvenu; DA Sprint 700P
    can anyone give a list of channels on sprint tv ultimate vs. live vs. mobitv, etc.? that would be very helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by irabren
    stv ultimate includes stv live - go to sprint.com
    Not on mine. It ask me to pay $9.95 to get access to Sprint Live.

My phone list 50 Sprint Ultimate

The under that it has avaliable chanels

01 Sprint TV Plus
    09 Sprint TV LIVE

Anyone have a link to Sprint TV channel selection. I cant find anything on there web site.
  19.    #19  
    Its confusing but - sprint power vision ultimate includes sprint tv ultimate

Sprint Power VisionSM Ultimate Pack

Unlimited Sprint Picture MailSM - Take, upload and send an unlimited number of pictures. Includes unlimited Sprint PCS Video Mail.

Sprint TVSM Ultimate - Watch unlimited live TV on the go with full-motion video and vivid sound. Includes the channels available with Sprint TVSM Plus and Fox News Channel®, The Weather Channel®, Looney Tunes®, NBC®, Discovery Channel®, and more!

Unlimited Sprint Power VisionSM Access includes:

* Unlimited Web and Data access
    * Streaming Live News Channel featuring ABC News Now
    * Streaming Radio Channel with Sirius Hits

Sprint Power VisionSM is available only while on the Nationwide Sprint PCS Network.
    Sprint Power VisionSM Packs are not available with Sprint PCS Connection Cards™, Sprint PCS Connection Kits™ or other devices that can be used as a modem. Customers with a Sprint PCS VisionSM phone or a Sprint Power VisionSM phone will be charged $0.02 per kilobyte for Sprint PCS VisionSM or Sprint Power VisionSM usage unless a Sprint PCS VisionSM Pack or Sprint Power VisionSM Pack is selected.
    I have a slingbox and the 700p.... has slingmedia confimred that there is a palm client in development?

I've used the pocketPC client, and it's awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    So I'll patiently wait for SlingMedia to come out with their PalmOS version of their mobile Sling player and have 1000+ channels from my digital box from which to choose. The Slingbox is almost motivation enough for me to want a 700w, JUST to use that one application.. but not quite enough motivation to spend that kind of money for one. Unless I could find one dirt cheap that isn't beaten to Hell. But then I'd be carrying around three Treos.

Harv
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast