1.    #1  
    Because of the great posts here, I was able to get a great deal: 700p for $190, $32/mo plan with 400 min, 7pm off peak, unlim mob to mob, txt msgs, and power vision. Thing is, all of the TC posts have convinced me that I won't really benefit from the 700p that just arrived (my big reason for upgrading was PV, but the posts here and my own observations at the store leave me underwhelmed), and that I'll be just as happy with my current 650.

Question: If I return this phone (not even opened yet), will I get to keep my great new plan? I figure I would get a $650 credit, keep using my current 650, and just do an ESN swap when the next gen Treo (Hollywood?) comes along.

Would appreciate your thoughts!
    If you're within your return time at the store I think they'd just take it back and charge you $36 (I wouldn't risk the other amounts to try and get it waived) to reactivate the other phone. Any deals the store gave you would probably be taken back.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    You didn't at least try the phone out? There are alot of credible sources here on the forums, but you have to give it a stab yourself and see how she flies. Not everyone is having the same problems with the 700...though I agree with it being slower than the 650 when changing apps, changing different screens, etc. A number of owners are cramming all their previous 650 apps into this device without thought which is causing other issues instead of taking it one app at a time to track the incompatibilty issue until later updates come for that app. I have had no issues with my 700 and love it so far, and have only installed 5 apps up to date. Their are others I want, but I am awaiting updates just to be on the safe side to keep my stability. If you are happier with the 650...keep it then and wait until the issues are resolved with the 700 before comming back.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think you have an awesome deal and you're crazy not to upgrade. If you browse the web on your 650 you will appreciate the faster speeds on the 700p. There are also alot of OS upgrades as well, BlueTooth DUN works much better than the 650. Regardless of any upgrades or speed comparisons, you should do it just for the deal you have on the plan. I haven't heard of many plan bundles as cheap as $32/mo!
    I agree with KStewart and chymo. I don't see how you can NOT go the 700 route. Something to bear in mind about forums, too, is that most casual users don't visit forums regularly, only when they have a problem. With that in mind, it follows that you'll see a disproportionately high number of negative posts because people who have had no problems won't seek out a forum and sign up just to say so. The 650 I got in December was my first palm after a few years of PPC's and, even then, there were people with 650 issues and still are. No device is perfect. There may be palm old-timers here who will jump all over me and say the 700 is more trouble-prone than it should be but I've also read many times that the 650 was right about the same when it was released, pending updates.

My two cents' worth: go with the 700.
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
    Dont believe everything you read here. People around here love to load up their Treo's with poorly written hacks then complain like babies when things don't work right.

I have been very happy with my 700p. Blows the 650 away.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Keep the 700...we migrated from the 650's and would never reconsider. We have virtually all the same programs loaded but the stability has been magnitudes better!
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triacus
    [...]all of the TC posts have convinced me that I won't really benefit from the 700p that just arrived (my big reason for upgrading was PV, but the posts here and my own observations at the store leave me underwhelmed) [...] Would appreciate your thoughts!
    Keep in mind that people who are upset or have problems are waaay more likely to seek out forums like this and post about their gripes and issues.

On the flipside those that are happy and content with their 700p's may never even hit the web looking for a site to gush over how fantastic their experience has been.

So the stuff you read here is more inclined to have a negative bias.

Personally I'm happy I upgraded from 650 to 700p. As a power user I also expect to suffer through some growing pains until the first and/or second ROM update is released.

ERic
    Quote Originally Posted by triacus
    Because of the great posts here, I was able to get a great deal: 700p for $190, $32/mo plan with 400 min, 7pm off peak, unlim mob to mob, txt msgs, and power vision. Thing is, all of the TC posts have convinced me that I won't really benefit from the 700p that just arrived (my big reason for upgrading was PV, but the posts here and my own observations at the store leave me underwhelmed), and that I'll be just as happy with my current 650.

Question: If I return this phone (not even opened yet), will I get to keep my great new plan? I figure I would get a $650 credit, keep using my current 650, and just do an ESN swap when the next gen Treo (Hollywood?) comes along.

Would appreciate your thoughts!
    Well if you only paid $190, I don't see why they'd give you a $650 credit. Personally, I'd try out the 700p first. If you like it, kee the 700p, sell the 650 on ebay (you'll get about $200-$250 depending on its condition, and what you're selling with it), and make your money back and then some.

Also, even if you still don't want the 700p, you could still make a nice profit selling it on eBay.

Either way, I think it would work better for you to keep the 700p and do something else with it instead of returning it.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the feedback. I've just provisioned the phone, and Power Vision is about what I expected - faster downloads, but rendering seems to be the bottleneck. I guess I'll continue to cruise the forums on how people tweak their Treos for maximum performance, and hope for firmware updates. God I hope the next gen Treo isn't released before the end of the year, with all of the goodies (Wi Fi, GPS?) that would make me cry.